DPT Acceptance with Non Science Major field of degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derek97

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they have been accepted to PT school with a degree in a non science based major? I am currently a business student becuase I did not know what I wanted to do, but as of late I have really gained an interest in PT school. I have taken a few of the prereqs already and have done fairly well in them. I just want to see if anyone else has had success in getting accepted with a non-traditional major for most DPT students.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a philosophy major and was accepted to Emory, WUStL, Mayo, and UAB. It's not a problem as long as you do the prereqs. :)

Reactions: 1 users
BA - Political Science major checking in. Got accepted into my top program during the Early Decision process! Took prereqs at a community college.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There's 2 people in my current class who were communications majors

Reactions: 1 user
BA - Political Science major checking in. Got accepted into my top program during the Early Decision process! Took prereqs at a community college.
I am using summer semesters to take prereqs at my local community college. Thank you for the reply!

Business Management major here and I was accepted. Most schools don't care, in fact I've been told many like the diversity. It sets you apart from the hundreds of Kinesiology majors. I've heard dance majors getting in DPT programs.

In interviews (or an essay) if you're able to articulate how you can use what you learned from your major and apply it to the PT profession you'll impress them even more. It's a question they may ask you.

Knock out your prereqs and you'll be good to go.

Can anyone tell me if they have been accepted to PT school with a degree in a non science based major? I am currently a business student becuase I did not know what I wanted to do, but as of late I have really gained an interest in PT school. I have taken a few of the prereqs already and have done fairly well in them. I just want to see if anyone else has had success in getting accepted with a non-traditional major for most DPT students.
I majored in psychology and communication and worked as a journalist before becoming a PT. I wrote my application essay about how the skills I learned doing other things would make me a great PT, and it worked. Lots of others in my class had non-science majors too!

I majored in psychology and communication and worked as a journalist before becoming a PT. I wrote my application essay about how the skills I learned doing other things would make me a great PT, and it worked. Lots of others in my class had non-science majors too!
Awesome! It’s encouraging to hear stuff like this. Thank you for the reply!

Business Management major here and I was accepted. Most schools don't care, in fact I've been told many like the diversity. It sets you apart from the hundreds of Kinesiology majors. I've heard dance majors getting in DPT programs.

In interviews (or an essay) if you're able to articulate how you can use what you learned from your major and apply it to the PT profession you'll impress them even more. It's a question they may ask you.

Knock out your prereqs and you'll be good to go.
Thank you for the reply!! This makes me feel a lot better about my chances!

As long as you fulfill the prerequisites and displayed your intent to enter the field by a variety of observation hours, your major doesn't matter. Many programs even boast the idea of non-science majors, as they seek diverse cohorts of different majors, backgrounds, ethnicities, ages, etc. If anything, business ties well with physical therapy and you can leverage that in interviews.

I was a Theater Arts major 10 years ago and I was accepted into my top choice in their first wave. A lot of schools told me they like diverse backgrounds in their programs. Just concentrate on our prerequisites and you’ll be good to go.

Marketing Major here, took all of my prereq’s after graduation and had a few acceptances to choose from. Totally possible, go for it!

Your degree does not matter as long as you have you Bachelor in something. I had my BA in humanities.

I agree with everyone! I received my BS in psychology and worked in research for 5 years before applying. I was accepted at 2 schools, waitlisted at 3 more. Like everyone else said, schools like seeing varying backgrounds. My story is interesting because honestly PT is one of the LAST fields I ever saw myself in, but life experiences post-bacc shaped a passion. Different backgrounds also allow for much more rounded learning. Your business mind, my psychology slant, and John Doe's kinesiology training will expose all 3 of us to worlds we didn't spend hours and hours studying!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk