DPT Admissions Decision/Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AWS527

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys wondering opinions on my chances of acceptance. Also, when are admissions decisions typically sent out?

PTCAS GPA: 3.10
PTCAS pGPA: 2.93 (took them first two years, which clearly did not go well)
vGRE: 149
qrGRE: 157
wGRE: 4.0
Observation Hours: 644 (4 settings - outpatient x2, inpatient/acute care, sports setting)
Last 60 credit hours GPA: 3.31

Went in for an interview at NYU thus far, have not heard back from majority of schools I applied to.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey! So while your cumulative GPA and prerequisite GPA are below average, your quantitative GRE was super competitive which probably helped make up for it! :) You have stellar observation hours, and experience is key for a lot of programs.

Unfortunately, I am unable to give you an opinion regarding your chances of being accepted due to the inherent differences between each DPT program. Some schools make the cut off GPA a 3.7 and really want those high numerical scores, while others are much more concerned with the experience you've had as well as your passion for the profession. Schools are looking for why you would be an excellent fit for THEIR program, not necessarily why another student with a 4.0 should get into their problem. A big think with PT schools this year is diversity. So make sure you do your research, and during any and all interviews be sure that your personality shines and that the reason why YOU are an excellent fit for THEIR program comes across. In doing that, you can't lose! :)

Reactions: 1 users
So my first big question is did you meet the minimum requirements for the schools you applied to? All of the schools I've looked at have had at least a minimum 3.0 pGPA. If you didn't meet the minimums then it's highly unlikely you'll even be considered. If you do meet all your schools minimums, then there's always a chance. It really depends on what the rest of your application looks like, as well as what the rest of the applicants look like, and what the school looks for in its applicants. As the above poster stated, many schools are looking for diverse cohorts. Another important thing is if there is a specific reason you did so poorly in school. If you had extenuating circumstances some schools will take that into account (others, unfortunately, do not). I'll be honest though, your pGPA in conjunction with your cGPA is going to be concerning for a lot of admissions committees. They want students who will be able to handle the rigor of the PT program and their best way to gauge that is by undergrad GPA. I'm curious as to why you didn't retake any of the prereqs you did poorly in?

As far as admissions decisions--it depends on the application deadline and the school itself. Some send yes, no, maybe's out at the same time, while others let people hang while they send out acceptances. It's great fun. I might have an ulcer by the end of this process (so know you're not alone in stressing out!).

Reactions: 1 user