DPT Admissions Questions, Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frappaolow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in New york. I just graduated from the University of Scranton with a Bachelors in Exercise Science. My cumulative GPA was 3.14, and I performed very well towards the end of my college career. My science gpa is around 2.8 and this is without counting the 2 C's i received in chemistry during the summer of freshman year when I was switching majors. I took those classes at a community college so my school just accepted the credits and didn't count them in my GPA. I also have C's in computer literacy, composition, and pre-calculus. I was wondering what, if any, courses I should take over. I'm currently studying for the GRE and I'm willing to start applying to school next year if I have to take courses over.
Other important stats:
I've worked for over 500 hours in an outpatient PT office.
I have great recommendations from a PT and professors.
I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get into PT school.
ANY HELP would be amazing! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you are self-aware and have your eyes wide open about the process. How are your other pre-reqs? If they are strong(i.e. B to A+ range) and you get a very solid GRE(1200+) then I think you will have a decent chance of first-time admittance. If possible, I would look to take the Chemistry classes over, but they may not be a deal breaker depending on where you apply. I would also look to get more experience in other PT sectors, such as inpatient/neuro, SNFs, pediatrics, etc. This will show admission committees that you have exposure to the depth and breadth of physical therapy practice. I personally found that contacting programs early in the application process and letting them know I was interested was a key part of building a strong rapport. I let them know my grades, GRE, weaknesses, and strengths. Then I basically said, "Give it to me straight! Will I be a strong candidate?" If you continue to do what you are doing to improve your app and build a strong rapport with admissions directors, then let nature take its course! Best wishes to you!

I really appreciate your encouraging advice. I still have to take General Bio 1, which will definitely boost my gpa!
Other grades:
Composition: C
Public Speaking: B+
Gen Bio 2: B, B-Lab
Structure and Function 1: B-, B lab
Structure and Function 2: B+, C+ lab
Sports Physiology: B+
Psychology: B-
Nutrition: A
Physics 1 and 2: B and B in labs
General Physiology: C+, B in lab
Exercise and Sport Psychology: A
Skeletal Biology: B+
Nutrition Through Life Cycle: A
Clinical Exercise Physiology: A
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ARE VERY APPRECIATED, these grades go in chronological order, hence why my grades progressively improved

Members don't see this ad :)
To add to what has already been said, I would recommend showing the admission committees that you are a strong leader and are able to work with a diverse population (age, race, religion, disabilities, etc). You can do this by getting involved with your community by volunteering. Go to your local Parks & Rec department of YMCA and ask how you can help and what you need to do to get involved. I also recommend starting on your personal essay now and get as many people to read/edit/critique it as possible. With lower than average grades, it is important to excel in the rest of your app (ie. essay, LOR's, extra-curricular activities, etc). Do everything you can to show that you are committed and determined to become a successful PT. Do more than what is expected.

Good Luck!

It sounds like you are self-aware and have your eyes wide open about the process. How are your other pre-reqs? If they are strong(i.e. B to A+ range) and you get a very solid GRE(1200+) then I think you will have a decent chance of first-time admittance. If possible, I would look to take the Chemistry classes over, but they may not be a deal breaker depending on where you apply. I would also look to get more experience in other PT sectors, such as inpatient/neuro, SNFs, pediatrics, etc. This will show admission committees that you have exposure to the depth and breadth of physical therapy practice. I personally found that contacting programs early in the application process and letting them know I was interested was a key part of building a strong rapport. I let them know my grades, GRE, weaknesses, and strengths. Then I basically said, "Give it to me straight! Will I be a strong candidate?" If you continue to do what you are doing to improve your app and build a strong rapport with admissions directors, then let nature take its course! Best wishes to you!

would you say that it works if you email the school that you are anticipating???

would you say that it works if you email the school that you are anticipating???

I emailed Pitt about a bazillion times while I was completing my prereqs (making sure these courses would count for their program)- I only made a phone call once or twice after my acceptance when I was trying to decide.

Then, after all of that, I decided to go somewhere else! Haha

I would say that there is NO DOUBT in my mind that those emails helped me build rapport. Every interview I went on, the director remembered me from emails. When I was interviewed at the Mayo Clinic(program I will be starting in a couple months) the director knew exactly who I was. Made me feel kind of.....:cool:, and I knew that he was impressed. Bottom line is to be persistent and let programs know this is what you want.

I would say that there is NO DOUBT in my mind that those emails helped me build rapport. Every interview I went on, the director remembered me from emails. When I was interviewed at the Mayo Clinic(program I will be starting in a couple months) the director knew exactly who I was. Made me feel kind of.....:cool:, and I knew that he was impressed. Bottom line is to be persistent and let programs know this is what you want.

Good to know!!! Thanks!!! :D:) Good Luck!

So you would suggest applying to like 3 or 4 programs and really trying to meet their standards over applying to a bunch? In other words, I should really focus on a small amount of programs and find out exactly what they suggest I should do?

So you would suggest applying to like 3 or 4 programs and really trying to meet their standards over applying to a bunch? In other words, I should really focus on a small amount of programs and find out exactly what they suggest I should do?

I only applied to 3 programs because those were the 3 that I would be able to attend in reality given my personal life. If I were younger/not attached to an SO/family health was better, I would've applied to a lot more places.

I understand. So the majority of you would recommend applying to a few schools and really focus on those, over applying to many schools

I understand. So the majority of you would recommend applying to a few schools and really focus on those, over applying to many schools

With someone who has average to below average numbers, I would recommend applying early and often. It doesn't hurt to focus on a few of your top choice schools, but I would apply to as many schools as you can afford (it just increases your chances that much more). PTCAS promotes the "shotgun style" application (something I personally do not like about PTCAS) so take advantage of it.

I live in New york. I just graduated from the University of Scranton with a Bachelors in Exercise Science. My cumulative GPA was 3.14, and I performed very well towards the end of my college career. My science gpa is around 2.8 and this is without counting the 2 C's i received in chemistry during the summer of freshman year when I was switching majors. I took those classes at a community college so my school just accepted the credits and didn't count them in my GPA. I also have C's in computer literacy, composition, and pre-calculus. I was wondering what, if any, courses I should take over. I'm currently studying for the GRE and I'm willing to start applying to school next year if I have to take courses over.
Other important stats:
I've worked for over 500 hours in an outpatient PT office.
I have great recommendations from a PT and professors.
I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get into PT school.
ANY HELP would be amazing! Thanks guys!

I will echo what Yohan just mentioned about gaining more insight through doing some observational/volunteer work in different settings.

The GPA AVG for the 36 (out of 900+) accepted into the program where I will be applying to later was 3.67 this year, so besides a pretty good GPA you have to figure out what else will make you stand out from the hundereds of applicants and I believe that is big connections with the right people like others have mentioned. Anyways, it's nice to be a part of this forum, seems like there's a wealth of info here. :cool:
I'm lucky in that my PT advisor is good friends with and graduated with the lady heading the program I want to get into!