DPT Air Force Commissioning questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTDPT2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions & I hope anyone can answer these. Hopefully, an already commissioned Air Force physical therapist out there can answer these questions.

1. How long will health professionals (e.g. PTs) have to wait for COT selection board after a completed application is received at AF personnel center in Texas?
2. How long will be the waiting period before attending the COT after a Physical Therapist gets selected?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Curious on this answer too. Also any idea on need in the Air Force right now?

To those who are interested in joining the AF as PT, here's a little background about the selectivity of becoming a PT in the AF. For the FY2014 the AF's current needs for licensed PT, as of now, are only 3 spots. More spots (alternate spots) can be opened throughout the year (0-4 more spots) if the needs for the AF change. For those wondering what the average amount of alternate spots open up....it really depends year to year. Remember the FY starts OCT 1st so therefore make sure to talk to a recruiter before that...in fact id start 5-6 months before OCT. Make sure you also want your packet to be out before thanksgiving to the USAF health professions board since selection is typically made around Dec - March. As PT's we come in as Captain (0-3) and depending on the FY you may be eligible for loan repayment (somewhere between 0-80k). Loan amounts change each and every year. This FY is 80k. PT's typical also do not have a signing bonus. As of this FY the commitment is 3 years of active and 5 years of inactive ready reserves.

IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMEND to be a licensed PT before your packet is sent to the health professions board...in fact most recruiters will not start your packet if you do not have your license to practice. Making your packet takes a lot of effort on your part and also the recruiter. Therefore most recruiters do not want to waste their time with applicants who have the potential to fail their boards. PT students, if you are interested in joining the AF ASAP talk to a health professions recruiter prior to graduating. If possible, id even recommend taking your board exam if the state and your school allows it before you graduate if you are really serious about joining the AF ASAP

To answer the OP's questions:

1: Sorry i dont quite understand the question

I think youre asking two questions in one? Are you asking "how long does it take to find out if you got selected" along with "how long does it take for the health professions board to review & select an applicant?"

Like i mentioned im not quite too sure what youre trying to ask however ill try to cover the basis on how the selection process works and hopefully that will answer your question. Once a PT decides to be a candidate for selection, they will be considered a candidate for a direct commissioned officer spot and now the packet will be started. The time it takes to make a packet really depends how assertive you are....and how assertive your recruiter is. It typically takes 3-6 months to put together a packet. Although if you need medical waivers that's what usually will cause a packet to be delayed.

Anyways once the packet is formed it goes to a HEALTH profession board which selects their candidates to commission into the AF and then go to COT. Like i mentioned before packets are typically sent at end of Nov and typically these decisions take somewhere between dec-march (total of 3ish months). Once these selections are made you will need to get proper security clearance and your orders. This can take an additional month to get these forms and then you would most likely go to one of the soonest available COT date (which last about 5 weeks). There are only a handful of COT dates per FY year (Jan, March, May, June, and Aug). So typically you go to the closet COT date once you get everything squared away. So really it can be as fast as 4 months from packet sent to first day at COT. However it just as easily take 10 months.

2: it depends see above...

Anyways to future AF applicants my best advice before applying...is making sure that YOU WANT TO SERVE. This is a job that you cant quit if you dont like it. PT's typically only do EVALUATIONS. Youre also an officer in the USAF therefore you will be treated with more responsibilities than your civilian counterpart with other duties unique to the military. WARNING: dont do it for the money/recognition/or because you think this will be better than the current job you have now....as previously stated...do it because you want to serve your country

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who are interested in joining the AF as PT, here's a little background about the selectivity of becoming a PT in the AF. For the FY2014 the AF's current needs for licensed PT, as of now, are only 3 spots. More spots (alternate spots) can be opened throughout the year (0-4 more spots) if the needs for the AF change. For those wondering what the average amount of alternate spots open up....it really depends year to year. Remember the FY starts OCT 1st so therefore make sure to talk to a recruiter before that...in fact id start 5-6 months before OCT. Make sure you also want your packet to be out before thanksgiving to the USAF health professions board since selection is typically made around Dec - March. As PT's we come in as Captain (0-3) and depending on the FY you may be eligible for loan repayment (somewhere between 0-80k). Loan amounts change each and every year. This FY is 80k. PT's typical also do not have a signing bonus. As of this FY the commitment is 3 years of active and 5 years of inactive ready reserves.

IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMEND to be a licensed PT before your packet is sent to the health professions board...in fact most recruiters will not start your packet if you do not have your license to practice. Making your packet takes a lot of effort on your part and also the recruiter. Therefore most recruiters do not want to waste their time with applicants who have the potential to fail their boards. PT students, if you are interested in joining the AF ASAP talk to a health professions recruiter prior to graduating. If possible, id even recommend taking your board exam if the state and your school allows it before you graduate if you are really serious about joining the AF ASAP

To answer the OP's questions:

1: Sorry i dont quite understand the question

I think youre asking two questions in one? Are you asking "how long does it take to find out if you got selected" along with "how long does it take for the health professions board to review & select an applicant?"

Like i mentioned im not quite too sure what youre trying to ask however ill try to cover the basis on how the selection process works and hopefully that will answer your question. Once a PT decides to be a candidate for selection, they will be considered a candidate for a direct commissioned officer spot and now the packet will be started. The time it takes to make a packet really depends how assertive you are....and how assertive your recruiter is. It typically takes 3-6 months to put together a packet. Although if you need medical waivers that's what usually will cause a packet to be delayed.

Anyways once the packet is formed it goes to a HEALTH profession board which selects their candidates to commission into the AF and then go to COT. Like i mentioned before packets are typically sent at end of Nov and typically these decisions take somewhere between dec-march (total of 3ish months). Once these selections are made you will need to get proper security clearance and your orders. This can take an additional month to get these forms and then you would most likely go to one of the soonest available COT date (which last about 5 weeks). There are only a handful of COT dates per FY year (Jan, March, May, June, and Aug). So typically you go to the closet COT date once you get everything squared away. So really it can be as fast as 4 months from packet sent to first day at COT. However it just as easily take 10 months.

2: it depends see above...

Anyways to future AF applicants my best advice before applying...is making sure that YOU WANT TO SERVE. This is a job that you cant quit if you dont like it. PT's typically only do EVALUATIONS. Youre also an officer in the USAF therefore you will be treated with more responsibilities than your civilian counterpart with other duties unique to the military. WARNING: dont do it for the money/recognition/or because you think this will be better than the current job you have now....as previously stated...do it because you want to serve your country

Thanks for the great response and insight! Are you currently a PT in the USAF? I'm beginning school this summer and have always considering serving after I finish, but 3 spots seems like it would almost impossible to get in! Do you have any other info regarding the other branches? I was looking in to HPSP for PT's but was a disappointed to find out that they do not offer that for us.

Thanks again for the great post!

Agree! Thanks for awesome post. I'm an AF vet and would love to come back in after PT school. I did all my hours at a AF PT clinic too. I wish the loan repayment was more set. Right now my GI Bill barely covers half of my (future) tuition cost. It's hard to decide if it's worth the risk on so few slots.