DPT and dealing with finances/aid

Started by K_80_FDPT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

K_80_FDPT

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am trying to figure out how current DPT students handle the financial side of school. I just recently found out what I would be getting in disbursements between the Unsubsidized and Grad PLUS Loans (a total of $76K for the year). I got accepted into a private school and their tuition is very high. After tuition is paid for the fall and spring semester coming, all I have left is $7K for living expenses per semester. I admit I have credit cards that still need to get paid, and unfortunately I did not get a roommate when I searched for a place - ended up getting a studio that costs $1000! It seemed to be the avg price for a studio around the area.

After contacting financial aid, they did pull funds from the summer to give me more for fall and spring, but I will still be short partly for summer. I want to make this work, but I am wondering if this is something that may hinder me from pursuing this path. I DO NOT want to be worrying about finances and paying bills off during school. How do/did you all do it?

I appreciate any advice. I am looking at scholarships as well since I am Hispanic., but also considering a GoFundMe lol - not sure how that works. Thank you. 🙁
 
You can take out another loan from a private lender such as Sallie Mae Grad Loan. There are many private lenders so I would do your research on the best rate offered. You can also see if your school does a work-study type program.
 
Make a spreadsheet and write out all your monthly expenses
rent
food
gas
phone
utilitis
etc

Based on that, determine your budget and see if $7000 covers it. Then stick to the budget. I would think $7000 should be enough for 5-ish months considering your rent. ?