DPT and DO/ PM&R career swit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PTDUDEUCF22

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

Currently a 3rd Semester DPT student, I always wanted to DO school but opted for the path of least resistance (PT school). However, Seeing all the DO students studying around me, I realize I can make it through schooling as I Feel up to the challenge.

However, I have just opted to continue with DPT education as to not to waste the $$. My plan is to graduate work for a couple years pay off my debt and finish like 4 pre-req classes for DO school. I'm 21 now I'll be 24 when i grad with my DPT. So ill be 25-26 when i am applying to DO school.

I have a few question and am open to others opinions.

How related is the applicable knowledge between these two fields? If i was a pmr in a rehab unit with PT knowledge would i ever apply this knowledge as a pmr?

In a outpatient setting as a PMR would there be more overlap in amount of manual therapy and knowledge?

Having a DPT and work experience would be beneficial or not to applying to school?

Research Aspect of DO / DPT: I'm fully aware that i can do rehab research as a DPT, but as a DO I imagine if i go research route that ill be able to have greater control and independence, and be able to do more?

This is all a ways down the road but I just was wanting to hear your guys opinions and comments as I feel i would be happy and satisfied as a PT but More fulfilled as DO.
 
First I'd ask yourself why you think you will be more fulfilled as a DO verses a DPT. What are you specifically wanting out of your job that you are not getting as a PT that you think you will get as a physician.

Just realize that after you finish your DPT and have a few years of work experience you will still have a long and drawn out road to becoming a physiatrist. Besides the extra undergraduate education, MCAT and other extracurricular activities (research, volunteer work, etc.) that you will have to keep current, once you get into medical school it will be 5 years until you even start learning about PM&R (4 years school + internship). At most you will have 1-3 months of PM&R electives during your 4th year of medical school and will have zero-to-little PM&R education during medical school. Then you have 3 more years of post-graduate training before you can start trying to make a practice into what you desire. Thats a long time making little or no money and encountering a lot of debt.

So if you are happy and satisfied as a DPT, i'd really ask why you want to make the switch now and is it really going to change your work satisfaction all that much in the long run. I think to answer most of your questions, you should really shadow an IPR physiatrist for a couple of days to really see how PT and PMR relate and what physiatrist do in that setting.