DPT Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dptatusc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am currently applying to DPT programs (2020-2021 application cycle) and I'm trying to navigate through not only different programs, but also how on Earth I will be paying for the programs. I have debt from undergrad, and I'm trying to look at all of my options. I was accepted to a top school, but it is the most expensive of all of the schools I've applied to. It would be a shame to turn it down based solely on finances, but I'm having trouble figuring out ways to get non-loan financial aid. I'm anticipating taking out more student loans, but I was wondering if anyone has any insight or experience in this department. Has anyone been offered any financial aid before deposits are due? I feel like this would be a pertinent part of my DPT program selection. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I am currently applying to DPT programs (2020-2021 application cycle) and I'm trying to navigate through not only different programs, but also how on Earth I will be paying for the programs. I have debt from undergrad, and I'm trying to look at all of my options. I was accepted to a top school, but it is the most expensive of all of the schools I've applied to. It would be a shame to turn it down based solely on finances, but I'm having trouble figuring out ways to get non-loan financial aid. I'm anticipating taking out more student loans, but I was wondering if anyone has any insight or experience in this department. Has anyone been offered any financial aid before deposits are due? I feel like this would be a pertinent part of my DPT program selection. Thanks!
Hi,
The simplest thing would be to talk to the financial aid office of that school. I spoke to them extensively to figure out how to get myself through. I've heard of scholarships existing for DPT but my school didn't have any. I had to take out grad PLUS loans which.....sucks....but I don't have family financial support and it's what got me through.

My loans did not come through prior to deposit being due. I don't think any schools' would, just given the order events take place in (you have to deposit to be accepted, and the semester has to officially start so you're officially enrolled etc etc). It was a surprising amount of money just to get my foot in the door - $500 deposit, $200 for a background check, I didn't have health insurance so I spent several hundred on the necessary medical documentation and updating my boosters etc....I think I wrote a post about it on here a few years ago, as a sort of warning to newly accepted students. And now I am finding it is just as expensive on the graduation end.

I would go to the cheapest school possible, if you have a choice and other schools you also like. At the end of the 3 years, you'll get the same DPT degree.

Also, you can look into public service loan forgiveness program (idk anything about it other than it exists), and I think working for the military will also pay your tuition, I'm sure someone else can chime in with more details.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I am currently a first year DPT student and I was also admitted into a few top programs during the application process. Instead of going to the "top school" I opted for an instate public school because the tuition was actually manageable and had a much smaller cohort size than the other school which was a plus for me. Because I was a California resident I ended up getting a DPT grant from my school, about $3,000, and I should hopefully get that the next two years as well so that's $9,000 taken off my tuition. I don't know what state you live in, but I would look into your in state public schools and see if they have similar options. I didn't have to send in an extra application or anything, but I didn't know I was getting it until half-way through my first semester. Also, my program uses some of our tuition money and gives it back to us to fund trips to national conferences, pay for our APTA membership, and other professional expenses which is also great. Some of the funding was cut due to state budget cuts (thanks COVID) but once things settle down again we should be getting those funds as well, so that would be another thing to research about each program you applied to.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to the cheaper school as long as it has a high NPTE pass rate and is accredited. Look into what scholarships the schools offer but don't rely on this because they are very competitive. I also get a $1000 grant per semester at a public TX school. I haven't heard of non-loan funding outside of that but it may exist.

Reactions: 1 user