DPT Flex: USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

easb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My questions are for those who are in Flex program in the University of St Augustine:

1. How often do you take exams by proctor?
2. Would you suggest to buy any textbooks for the 1st trimester? Many people from the full-time program say that they never use textbooks, I wonder if it is the same for the Flex program?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1. How often do you take exams by proctor?
-The first term you will not need a proctor but every term following, you will need to secure one and it is on average about 3-4 times per term depending on the class itself.

2. Would you suggest to buy any textbooks for the 1st trimester? Many people from the full-time program say that they never use textbooks, I wonder if it is the same for the Flex program?
-Yes, because with anatomy, while there are plenty of items in the course packets that you receive, the book will help you see it in its true form with some cadaver illustrations, as well as other detailed information. There will be some courses where the book is pointless, however there are some where the instructor will pull most of the test information from the text.

If you have any other questions let me know as I am graduating next month from the FLEX program.

Reactions: 1 user
@DPTJD thank you very much for your reply!!!
Regarding textbooks... Is there a way to figure out if I need a textbook for a certain class? Should I ask instructors that question?
Would you suggest to buy this book (not sure if it is really a book...) "Clinical Massage and Soft Tissue Palpation University of St. Augustine" for the massage class?
Once again, thank you very much for answering! And good luck with your last month of the program!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
DPTJD, CONGRATULATIONS on graduating from the flex program!!! What advice do you have for someone that is entering their first semester, especially for lab practicals when you only have limited time (weekends) to study anatomy on the cadaver? Was most of the material given in PPT, dvds, and other media or did the faculty tell you to know specific chapters out of the text (I am sure it also depended on the class). Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks again and congratulations!

@easb no problem! The only material I received for massage was the course notes. They do a pretty good job in covering the material and the information that will be needed for exams and techniques. These notes will be more than enough to occupy your time and more than enough to study from. I would suggest you contact the instructor as they have done some faculty changes so the instructors may have texts they prefer more than others so it varies.

Congratulations on your acceptance to PT school and try to enjoy it as much as possible as it will be tough!

Last edited:
@Nathan M, This is what we did...Many of us while in lab took pictures of the models that we were studying from and these are the same models that we were tested on. I would definitely say get real familiar with your anatomy, take advantage of open labs during the weekends at the end of your lab weekend. You will be drained in the beginning but you will build a tolerance for it, so go grab some dinner to unwind a little then head back for some extra study time. And secondly, spend quality time on palpation techniques and identifying your structures. This is emphasized greatly throughout the program from day one until you graduate.

Initially you will not be exposed to the cadaver lab until the end of your first year when you take biomechanics. Again, with this take advantage of your open labs at the end of the day.

The majority of the information was transmitted to us in PDF format packets that were posted on the online platform. If you are a physical learner where you need to have pages to flip and make specific notes, I printed every last note packet out for use. This however is on your dime and will need to be done ASAP. Some classes require texts, but the majority of the information needed is on the online platform and often they include videos embedded within to highlight the point they are trying to make.

One word of advice, stay on top of your studies and do not fall behind and put full effort into every class. With this program every class builds upon the other and if you do not fully devote yourself to one class that may be the one needed to fully understand the material. Not saying it is not possible to still pass but I have known a few people to skate by on some classes and it came back to bite them in the rear during later courses. It's a long ride but it will be here before you know it.

Congratulations on starting PT school, I remember being in your same spot a few years ago, asking the same questions. Become friends with upperclassmen and that will help you tons when you have questions.

@DPTJD , thank you very much for answering our questions! It's very helpful!
I wonder if USA sent any of your classmates to other states for clinicals?

@easb, yes there were a few that were sent out of state for clinicals. Some by choice and others not so much since there were really no other openings for the required setting. Where will you be attending classes? FL, TX, or CA?

@easb, yes there were a few that were sent out of state for clinicals. Some by choice and others not so much since there were really no other openings for the required setting. Where will you be attending classes? FL, TX, or CA?
Hello DPTJD. Good to learn your experiences in the Flex program. I am actually going to start the Flex program this Fall. Wondering what campus you are going now? Thank you!

For those who will attend the Flex DPT or who are the current students at USA San Marcos, any of you from out of California or far away from the San Diego areas? I asked the student service staff the other day, currently they don't have any corporate rate for the flex students who need accommodation for the lab weekends. Do you all have any options to share about the lodgings? For those current students not from the local, where you guys stay during the lab weekend? Any information will be helpful. Thank you!

in CA.

I was in the third overall class to graduate from Flex. I'm glad it has taken off. Great vision by USA to see the need for it.

For those who will attend the Flex DPT or who are the current students at USA San Marcos, any of you from out of California or far away from the San Diego areas? I asked the student service staff the other day, currently they don't have any corporate rate for the flex students who need accommodation for the lab weekends. Do you all have any options to share about the lodgings? For those current students not from the local, where you guys stay during the lab weekend? Any information will be helpful. Thank you!

Jqz98,
Find a good hotel that's close by campus and all you gotta do is talk to the manager. Explain that you are a student and are going to be there for the next 3 yrs every other weekend. They'll give you a deal. Then find a classmate to be your roommate.