DPT/MPT vs. OTD/MOT

Started by basbana
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

basbana

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering what y'all think are the differences, benefits, and possible disadvantages of these. I have been on a PT track since high school and I just graduated from college, but lately I've been wondering about OT. I have been in some OT settings before and like it as well, it's just that I don't really know where to start or what to think since I've been on the PT track so long.

Here are my thoughts:

DPT - takes longer, costs more, can always get a transitional doctorate.

MPT - shorter, costs less, go to work sooner.

And then as far as the OT degrees, I don't really know because I haven't done a lot of research on them. I would assume it would have the same as above, just in a different area.

Can anyone help me out? What do you think?

Thanks!
 
Just a quick search for the prerequisites for you says that a "PT track" (I'm assuming you aren't in a 3+3 type of school) will be essentially the same as an "OT track". Now the problems with benefits, disadvantages, and differences is that it's subjective. The only way you'll truly be able to decide what is right for your future is to observe both settings. Call around and find an OT to shadow for a couple weeks, if you like it more than PT continue, if not bail.