DPT or Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epalayan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! This is my first thread here. I've read numerous threads while researching information about my major and found some educational responses so I decided to try it out myself. Sorry if this is a repeat thread or if this isn't the right section for this post.

What are the advantages of become a DPT over getting a masters in physical therapy? I've been through numerous websites and all say that the pay is almost identical. I've also read through threads on this website that it doesn't necessarily give you an advantage in managerial positions. I'm all about efficiency and if getting a DPT provides no advantages, I see no reason to pursue a DPT. I really would like to further my knowledge but considering the starting pay of a PT and the cost of DPT school, it just doesn't seem worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

At this point in time, there seems to be a general consensus that the DPT offers few advantages over the MPT, save the fact that there may be more clinical rotation hours added to the curriculum. Given the fact that the DPT is a clinical doctorate, one would hope that clinicians have as much clinical experience as possible (possible advantage of DPT over MPT:confused:)
This is from personal research and not personal experience. Maybe the better option, if you really do not want to do the DPT, is to receive your MPT with an eye to the future that would allow you to receive the tDPT. Side note: the APTA has stated that the tDPT may not be an option for clinicians in the future, yet they provide no specifics as to when this option will expire. My chief concern would be that in 10 years time, you may be a MPT swimming in a sea of DPTs. Will that have any disadvantages, whose to say? I imagine that your chief concerns are time and money; two Biggies if you ask me. Ultimately you have to do what is best for your situation, yet always keep an eye toward the future. Health care is ever changing and extremely cyclical in nature; thus if in your research you find that the DPT has any tangible advantages over the MPT then that may be the route you should go with.

Hi! This is my first thread here. I've read numerous threads while researching information about my major and found some educational responses so I decided to try it out myself. Sorry if this is a repeat thread or if this isn't the right section for this post.

What are the advantages of become a DPT over getting a masters in physical therapy? I've been through numerous websites and all say that the pay is almost identical. I've also read through threads on this website that it doesn't necessarily give you an advantage in managerial positions. I'm all about efficiency and if getting a DPT provides no advantages, I see no reason to pursue a DPT. I really would like to further my knowledge but considering the starting pay of a PT and the cost of DPT school, it just doesn't seem worth it.

The advantage of a DPT is that there are few if any masters programs left out there. I don't know if there is even one in the US anymore.

i would advise becoming a DPT over getting a masters. look up Vision 2020 by the APTA. they are trying to transition to all PTs have a doctorate by 2020.