DPT/PHD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaybanks95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've seen that a few PT schools have DPT/PHD dual degree programs. I just wanted to know whether people thought this was a good route. I know that I want to eventually transition into research and teaching, but I always envisioned that being down the line with me going back to get a PhD. I think it would be advantageous to knock it out all at once and to establish yourself in academia early in your career, and the programs save you about 1 year in getting your PhD. My only worry is that if you're getting your PhD directly after your DPT this will prevent you from practicing, which will hinder your clinical skills as well as prevent you from paying off your accumulated debt? I think it's a very interesting option, but I'm unsure that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have the best insight on this, but you should try posting this in the PT thread instead of pre-PT, you might get more feedback