DPT program accredited or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhatiaa1

Pre-PT Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a DPT program is not accredited, what does that mean for the student when he or she graduates? Does it really matter when you are applying for jobs?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it matters, you'll have wasted money on a program that doesn't allow you to sit the licensing exam, thus not have use. I would not risk it. There are plenty of accredited programs (arguably too many). Plus, why be a guinea pig to be tested on for a program with an unproven curriculum? I wouldn't waste my money on such a place.

If it's not accredited, IE on this list don't risk it.
http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...schools/acc_schools_map.cfm&process=3&type=PT

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be bias...but you have it all wrong. You do get to sit through the licensing exam and unless you are the first class, the program WILL be accredited by the time you graduate. Besides meeting many of CAPTE's requirements, a program must graduate an entire class to receive accreditation...For EVERY single accredited program out there, there was a very first class who attended the program when it was not accredited but solely a candidate. It is not risky nor unintelligent to attend such a program if the program is within a well established institution. Do some more research fellas

Reactions: 1 user
Even if the chance at failing to receive accreditation is low when time comes, I still wouldn't want to take part given better options. There are plenty of PT programs that already are accredited and well established schools to choose from throughout the nation.

If I'm a prospective DPT student/buyer, how well established and known the school is for producing top-notch PT's is my primary concern, along with NPTE pass rates and established clinical affiliations.

I realize there have been hundreds of students in the past that been the test students for a program in the track to becoming established. I just don't want to the one tested on, want to attend a program with an established track record before I fork out big tuition dollars and a few years of my time. There's too many other options that have been setup for 10-30 years now and doing a fantastic job already.

You won't "graduate" from an unaccredited program. We have one starting up in our state this year and from what I understand, by the time the first class is getting ready to graduate, it will be determined whether or not the program will receive accreditation or not.

You're taking a risk, especially the first class, but I think it's fairly uncommon that a school does so poorly that it doesn't gain accreditation. If it doesn't, there is always the chance of transferring into another program...but you might just end up starting from scratch anyway.

You wouldnt start from scratch if the program was not accredited.

For example, if Midwestern - Glendale fails accreditation, they have an agreement with AT Still to confer their diplomas.

The biggest risk a student is taking is a slight lack of organization is all. The goals that must be met within the curriculum are established by CAPTE, not the program, therefore one will receive the same education elsewhere, however, as previously stated, unless the new program is flourishing from an unknown and underfunded institution.

Not to be bias...but you have it all wrong.

Perhaps you're helping shed light, but to say you're not biased then argue on a biased platform only sheds light on the situation from one angle.

There's no definitive here... In the end this will come down to student (knowingly or not) taking a some risk on the education and it's debatable how much because each situation is different. It's best for the student to look at it from a few angles and decide whether the program is worth applying. Then look at a variety of outcomes that could come about as they near graduation if they get accepted.

You won't "graduate" from an unaccredited program. We have one starting up in our state this year and from what I understand, by the time the first class is getting ready to graduate, it will be determined whether or not the program will receive accreditation or not.

You're taking a risk, especially the first class, but I think it's fairly uncommon that a school does so poorly that it doesn't gain accreditation. If it doesn't, there is always the chance of transferring into another program...but you might just end up starting from scratch anyway.

I have had many discussions with the people at Rocky Mountain University and I am 99.99999999% confident they will receive accreditation. I was told of the many hundreds of PT schools, only one school has ever been denied accreditation. The head of RMUoHP is very impressive. Was director at UNLV and a few other schools before he came to head up RMUoHP.

If I don't get into Utah (knock on wood), I would feel fine going to RMUoHP.

Here's my take since I will likely be attending a program that is brand new and not accredited yet (Mercer):

Accreditation is a long process that every single PT school must go through at one time or another. So, every school has to start somewhere, right? Just because it is not accredited yet does not mean it will not become one of the best PT programs out there. I did a LOT of research on Mercer and the faculty before making a decision because I was worried about accreditation. The director and most of the faculty came directly from GSU. They are not new at this, but rather, have years and years of experience teaching and leading a PT program that has a 100% first time board pass rate.

The commitment of the entire faculty is so apparent when you speak to them, that I find it impossible to believe that they will not receive accreditation. Mercer is a reputable school with other health science programs already in place (PA, pharmacy). Their vision for the program gives me confidence and I feel lucky to be a part of it. In addition, you are not just "out of luck" if they do not receive accreditation. They have measures in place to ensure that students will be taken by another university to complete their training.

I think it is an individual decision and I understand that not everyone is a risk-taking type of person. However, I would not completely discount a program just because it is in candidacy status. The bonus is that the faculty/student ratio is very low with a new program! You will get so much more attention and assistance because everyone is so invested in making sure the students succeed. If you are considering a new program, I would advise that you just do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions before making a decision.