1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

DPT programs: Pitt vs. Northwestern

Discussion in 'Physical Therapy' started by packt, Jan 1, 2009.

1. packt

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Hi everyone, I don't mean to be annoying with the x school vs y school post...but I actually don't know anyone my age who is interested in rehab sciences or physical therapy -- and I kind of stumbled upon this site by accident while trying to research one of my school choices... Also I'm really having a hard time making a decision based on the opinions of my "non-rehab science" oriented friends/family.

Basically I'm trying to decide between the DPT program at Univ of Pittsburgh or Northwestern Univ for the year of 2009. They both really look great and the only advantage I was thinking was that I might get a better clinical experience at Pitt...

I did go to visit Pitt about two weeks ago just as all the students left for winter break, so unfortunately I only met with two members of the department (one of which I found rather bitchy)....and I did not get the gut feeling of "oh my god i need to go here" that i thought I was going to get.

I'm familiar with Pittsburgh because I went to undergrad there and I actually like the city -- but from what I hear Chicago is an excellent place to be. Also, I really was leaning more towards Pitt before I visited because I think the research going on there and faculty interests matched more closely to mine...after my short visit I just feel really unsure about my choices...

I also feel like I'd probably want to work in Pennsylvania/New Jersey area after I graduated more than the Illinois area -- I'm wondering how important it is to get your degree around the area you want to practice -- whether networking is a big part of the clinical experiences.

Any insight any one might have would be SO VERY much appreciated. I have to make a decision by Jan 31.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Akiramay

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    Are you going to the Northwestern tour and sitting in on a class on Jan 9/10th? I really think you should go to that because it will be really helpful in deciding which school you want to go to. You will be able to talk with students and faculty, so you can find out about their clinical experiences and research opportunities.

As far as wanting to work in the P/NJ area, I know for one of your clinicals at Northwestern you have to do it in a different city or state. I don't really know all the details about that, but it seems like you could do a clinical rotation where ever you want, which is cool. That way, you can get some connections in the place you want to live. That would be a good question to ask at the tour.

I have been accepted to Northwestern too, and if I don't hear from another school by the 31st, I will happily attend Northwestern. But I would like to have some options, though I guess that makes things harder! Good luck in your decision!

4. packt

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Hey -- yeah I will be going to visit the campus that weekend -- so that will be good. but I already know I'll get a better "feeling" from Northwestern because it's an official open house and people will actually be on campus. -- I just wish Pitt had done the same thing for their prospective students.

Thanks for the response and best of luck in your decisions too!!

5. Akiramay

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    Hm, yah, that's true. Well, in that case, you can maybe make a list of everything you are looking for in a school. Then you can rate each school. Whichever one has the most points, go there!

6. Akiramay

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    So what did you think of NU? Have you decided where you're going?