DPT Programs: UNLV or UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onthesun

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone can give me an insights about programs at UNLV and UW. Which one is overall better, program content wise, opportunities, faculty, etc? Alumni point of view are also greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it has a lot to do with personal preference! I’m from the Seattle area so I toured UW PT facility and talked to faculty members/students. From my experience, they have extremely high end anatomy labs (which is a given because it’s UW), they’re class rooms are a bit dated but that wouldn’t effect the quality of the class. The faculty knows their stuff, a lot of them actively do research so they know what’s going on in the health care field. They also do some collaboration with other health care profession students which I think is beneficial and something that other programs don’t do. UW is known for their medical schools so any health care profession school is going to be a great program.
As for UNLV, I just interviewed there a couple weekends ago and I liked their program as well! Their anatomy labs are a bit more out of date (again not a huge impact on quality of classes, but something to consider). They also have nice research labs (so does UW though).
Both programs have large faculties which is important to me because you get a variety of professors with specializations. One thing I am considering is that UNLV does not offer opportunities for international experiences. UW has a global rehab option where you can serve in a couple different countries. So I think depending on what you’re looking for, they are both good programs, however, I think UW is more “known” for their health care professions. Did you apply this year and trying to pick between the schools? Or is this for the next application cycle?

Reactions: 1 users
I think it has a lot to do with personal preference! I’m from the Seattle area so I toured UW PT facility and talked to faculty members/students. From my experience, they have extremely high end anatomy labs (which is a given because it’s UW), they’re class rooms are a bit dated but that wouldn’t effect the quality of the class. The faculty knows their stuff, a lot of them actively do research so they know what’s going on in the health care field. They also do some collaboration with other health care profession students which I think is beneficial and something that other programs don’t do. UW is known for their medical schools so any health care profession school is going to be a great program.
As for UNLV, I just interviewed there a couple weekends ago and I liked their program as well! Their anatomy labs are a bit more out of date (again not a huge impact on quality of classes, but something to consider). They also have nice research labs (so does UW though).
Both programs have large faculties which is important to me because you get a variety of professors with specializations. One thing I am considering is that UNLV does not offer opportunities for international experiences. UW has a global rehab option where you can serve in a couple different countries. So I think depending on what you’re looking for, they are both good programs, however, I think UW is more “known” for their health care professions. Did you apply this year and trying to pick between the schools? Or is this for the next application cycle?
Thank you so much for the insights! That was very helpful! I am accepted into UNLVPT so far, and I am waiting to hear back from UW fairly soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the insights! That was very helpful! I am accepted into UNLVPT so far, and I am waiting to hear back from UW fairly soon!
I’m hoping UW will get back to us soon!!

Reactions: 1 user