DPT programs without dissection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physicaltherapy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know of an accredited school or schools that do not require cadaver dissection? I found one so far that uses prepared prosthetics (they pay the students to dissect them if they want to)...if you know more please list them here.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you looking for a school where you are not required to physically perform the dissection yourself or a school that actually does not have the dissection at all?

I don't know any schools in particular that don't have a gross dissection lab at all, but I believe there are plenty that do not require you to physically do the dissecting if you choose not to. I remember being told (or reading?) about at least one school where the actual dissection was done by whomever volunteered within the group. In addition, since the number of cadavers is usually very limited, the body is often shared by numerous classes and a number of persons within each class, which leaves little dissection available to each individual regardless.

Of course there is going to be a dissection lab. I am looking for a school that does not require me to physically do the dissecting if I choose not to. It's a sensitive subject, and I don't know how to bring it up with a PT department without hurting my chances of getting in (maybe you do?), so I'm posting this instead. Does anyone know of a school like this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're not the only one that feels that way. In my anatomy lab we had about 5 people per cadaver so if you didn't want to get hands-on it was fine. A lot of people that held your opinion eventually came around to wanting to take part in the process. I think checking with the school's admin wouldn't look bad because it isn't like dissection is directly related to daily job requirements of a PT.

But to answer your original question, I don't know of any programs that don'thave dissections. Good luck with everything

I'm not sure but I think Touro doesn't have real cadavers. Also in NYU you would only have to watch dissections.

I'm not sure but I think Touro doesn't have real cadavers. Also in NYU you would only have to watch dissections.

Seton Hall I believe does not have them either. Not sure about Richard Stockton. Best is to call the programs ur are interested in and find out.

A friend of mine in PT school, said he had 2 people in his group that got sick/emotional and did not get penalized for not being hands on.

My school doesn't require dissections, we have TAs do the dissection and all you do is just go around to different TA's body's and learn. You don't have to touch anything if you don't have to.

PS: dissection sucks, most of the time I see them digging through all this fat and fascia to seperate a little nerve here and there.

University of Pittsburgh doesn't have dissections. They would pay you if you did dissect.

I am a student in the DPT program at the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey which is an accredited program which does not require dissection. Our anatomy labs are done with a virtual dissection program and plastic models.