DPT Residencies - Please Help!!

Started by mac_kin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mac_kin

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I am a Masters of PT student from Canada. I am very interested in completing a residency at an american school and will probably relocate there permanently. I plan to do this probably Sept 2010 or January 2011.
I have emailed a few residency programs, they all say that I am ok to enter with a masters instead of a DPT, but simply need to ensure I have the necessary US and state practice license. I have started looking into this process

So I have a couple of questions regarding that and I would really appreciate the help from someone who has graduated and finished the process:

1. In order to write the American NPTE examination, do I need to have the DPT title or can I write it with my Masters?

2. Does every American DPT/MPT grad enter a residency following graduation? So would I be competing for a spot in a residency with many other students?

3. What can I do to secure my chances of getting into a residency program? Is acceptance based on marks? Do I need volunteer hours in the area? What do they look for?


I really appreciate any feedback!!
thanks!