DPT rubbing on patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaginCajun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a people person and a great tutor/mentor. I love working out and bioinjury mechanics but have a question that may sound shallow. Please don't take any offense and if you do I understand so have at it but answer.

As a DPT would I have to rub on male patients? I respect the profession and know there is a ton of patient care involved. The only thing is I blew my knee out and had a male rub lotion on my leg and it was very akward. I knew he was not feeling it either. If this is true are there ways around not having to do this. I think this is a cool field and that is the only thing I can't really get over.

Members don't see this ad.

Regardless of many positions in healthcare there may be some akward moments to deal with but priority number one is patient care. If "rubbing a man's knee" is the necessary intervention to get him better as quickly as possible then that is what one should do. I have had many difficult situations to deal with and usually there are a number of ways in dealing with them. With experience you become more accustomed to dealing with issues like this, although personally "rubbing a man's knee" has never been necesary for me to rehabiliate patients.

Thanks for you intelligent reply. You made a great point and there are pros and cons in any profession. I mean I have pulled people out of car wrecks with blood every where with no problem. So I guess I can get over my insecurities as silly as it sounds.