DPT vs PTA my problem I need some opinions please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brandon1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 25 years old and I'm currently in my 2nd year of college. My original plan was to be a PTA. I was told if I could get my pre-reqs for the program knocked out fast I would be able to get into the fall of 2011 or 2012 program. However the programs both filled up faster then they thought so I got accepted in the fall 2013 program which is 2 1/2 years away. All the schools in my area have the same amount of waiting lists. I did apply to one that is competitive and might be able to get in fall of 2012 but won't know until January. When I heard about the wait I decided I would just go for the DPT but the amount of debt I would be in is scaring me from it and I don't know what to do anymore. I live on my own so I will have to work full time until I get into a program I'm hoping my girlfriend moves in with me by the time that comes so that shouldn't be an issue. My other problem is I absolutely hate my job the reason I chose PTA at first was because it was fast, but that's not the case anymore because no matter what I pick I will just be there the same amount of time. I could apply to a nursing program for my BSN and have a really good chance at getting accepted my GPA is a 3.7 at the moment but I really don't see myself in another career. I shadowed a PT and loved everything about the job, plus I am a gym rat and my fav hobby is working out so I feel right at home in the gym setting. I guess the amount of debt and the extra time I would have to spend stuck at my job for the DPT is what's scaring me away from it. Also what do people live off of when in the DPT program while not being able to work? Any opinions on my issue or any suggestions to help me out would be greatly appreciated sorry that this is really long.

Members don't see this ad.

You sound soo much like me a year or 2 ago!!

You might not think so, but you are YOUNG! I would go for the DPT. I myself am feeling very anxious and wish I could just start my career already too!! I also HATE my job sooo much and that is why I just wanna get going already. DONT do the nursing program just cause you dont wanna wait for PTA or PT school to start. I actually made that bad decision and just wanted to start school already so I applied to nursing schools but after shadowing a few I KNEW it wasnt for me. Dont settle for something you really dont wanna do just cause you wanna get the ball rolling.

Apply to the STATE schools not the private ones. The tuition for the state schools are much more manageable.

I know it is hard but I would just be patient. I am still at my sucky ass job cause it pays the bills and I am gonna save as much as I can to apply it to tuition. You can do the same perhaps. And in the meantime you can try to get a PT aide job or do some more volunteering/shadowing

Sounds like you know exactly what you want to do. I would take a look at various programs you're interested in and take time to crunch down the numbers. Yes, you will have some debt...but I can truthfully say it's worth it if it means you're happy in you're career.

You also have options to make the money issue a little more manageable. Work study is great because the professors within the department know you're schedule and what you're able to put in. Sounds like you've got a great academic background, so you could definitely get some scholarships. There are SOME internships out there that provide stipends. With a little help from loans and saving up right now...it's definitely doable!

Don't settle for your future :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be afraid to go for it!!! I wasted 2 years being "afraid" of having to take pre-reqs/going to school again, etc. I'm 25 (will be 26 in a few weeks) and will start DPT in the fall.

I look at it this way, I will be 29 when I graduate with a doctorate (yes it's a clinical one and not a PhD, but it is still a doctorate)!

If I would've stayed in my original field (education) I would probably just be finishing up my Master's/thinking about what to do PhD wise, but not completed with it!

Plus, I figure if healthcare takes a turn for the worst, I can potentially try to get into teaching/maybe they would help me pay for my PhD. *More debt, but what can you do?*

Thanks for the responses they are really helpful seeing people in the same position I am in. I can handle going to school for the 7 years it's just I'm afraid I might not get in somewhere my 1st try and I'll be stuck at my job even longer. I guess it makes sense to just go straight for the DPT but if I go PTA I'll probably most likely wanna go back to school for the DPT then have to start over again anyway. And the whole 2 1/2 years I'm waiting to get into my PTA program I could be taking classes instead of taking the easy way out. I guess if you have a dream you should pursue it and not let anything get in your way I'll just have to suck it up at my job a while longer but it will be worth it in the end.

Hi, your responses have also helped a great deal. What is your opinion on taking a full time night PTA program vs. full time day?
Anybody been there done that with trying to focus on courses at night after a full day's work? I know that there are 2 full time night courses in Florida, one of them is South University in West palm Beach and their program is Monday-Thursday 6:00pm-9:30pm in evenings. Not sure how that works with clinicals though. Trying to get an idea of whether night or day PTA PROGRAMS would be most beneficial considering I will have to work to pay bills and hopefully not be too drained after work to study.

Thanks for your help

Amity

I know that there are 2 full time night courses in Florida, one of them is South University in West palm Beach and their program is Monday-Thursday 6:00pm-9:30pm in evenings.

I'm currently in Portland Oregon and attended the info session for MHCC. In the Portland area there is only Mt. Hood CC and one in Eugene as well.

I'm looking to possibly take my PTA classes in Florida, near Tampa. I'm having a hard time find good info for PTA programs in Florida, so if you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate!!

i hate my job as a PTA and lament the day i decided to become one. my only solace is knowing that i didn't spend a small fortune going to school to become a DPT. my student loans were paid off a little over a year after graduating from PTA school. I know PT's who are 11 yrs out of school and still paying off theirs while living in basement apartments. i have a few friends who are RN's and they make more than the avg DPT with about 1/3rd of the schooling. i can't imagine why anyone would want to rack up so much in student loans when a PTA makes 2/3 of what a DPT makes. if you are sure that the healthcare field is for you, consider nursing. their jobs are more crucial and important than helping a high school lacrosse player get back on the field 3 weeks sooner.

Great 1st post :p

I have been hearing so many people say go for RN instead. But many of us here are not interested in the nursing profession. We are fascinated by the human body - anatomy and physiology and NOT being a nurse. I have shadowed a nurse and did not like it one bit! From what I have seen they are very stressed out and underappreciated and I do not want to deal with life/death situation, blood and other bodily fluids (Although I know some PTs say that PTs do deal with some of that) The nurse I shadowed even told me "You do not want to be a nurse". Most of them have to work holidays, dont get bathroom or meal breaks, I can go on.

And Im sure many of us would rather pay off loans for a long time as long as we have a career that we enjoy. :)

their jobs are more crucial and important than helping a high school lacrosse player get back on the field 3 weeks sooner.

maybe by your definition of crucial, but I for one, find it compelling that I can help a high school aged kid return to his/her normal activities and not have to live the rest of their life with aches and pains.

Or return a burn victim to their "old" life... Or help a disabled child learn to walk without assistance. Or help an eldery person regain independence after a stroke, etc, etc.

The list goes on. We are here because we are passionate about the PT field. If we were passionate about nursing, we would be in a nursing forum. ;)

maybe by your definition of crucial, but I for one, find it compelling that I can help a high school aged kid return to his/her normal activities and not have to live the rest of their life with aches and pains.

Or return a burn victim to their "old" life... Or help a disabled child learn to walk without assistance. Or help an eldery person regain independence after a stroke, etc, etc.

The list goes on. We are here because we are passionate about the PT field. If we were passionate about nursing, we would be in a nursing forum. ;)

This!!!

i hate my job as a PTA and lament the day i decided to become one. my only solace is knowing that i didn't spend a small fortune going to school to become a DPT. my student loans were paid off a little over a year after graduating from PTA school. I know PT's who are 11 yrs out of school and still paying off theirs while living in basement apartments. i have a few friends who are RN's and they make more than the avg DPT with about 1/3rd of the schooling. i can't imagine why anyone would want to rack up so much in student loans when a PTA makes 2/3 of what a DPT makes. if you are sure that the healthcare field is for you, consider nursing. their jobs are more crucial and important than helping a high school lacrosse player get back on the field 3 weeks sooner.

Funny, I didn't see one high school lacrosse player in this video:

http://www.apta.org/YouCanBeMe/

Funny, I didn't see one high school lacrosse player in this video:

http://www.apta.org/YouCanBeMe/

I saw this video a while ago and it was definitely inspirational and a factor for me wanting to pursue this profession.

As far as the comments from old man gloom or whatever the user name is, I honestly believe these type of ppl/posts are either trying to scare pre-PT students away or they hate what they do. It seems to typically come from a person with 10 or less posts, and after a few days you never hear from them again!:rolleyes:

Heck, you'd expect a post like that from someone with a handle of "old man gloom".
Now, if "young go-getter" had posted, it'd be a different story.:)

There are some people who go through life with a boulder on their shoulder, who exude negativity and always feel like they got a raw deal... Kinda like the Pessimists' Club that canceled its outing because of a 1% chance of rain. Best to avoid those folks altogether, or they'll drag you down with them.

Heck, you'd expect a post like that from someone with a handle of "old man gloom".
Now, if "young go-getter" had posted, it'd be a different story.:)

There are some people who go through life with a boulder on their shoulder, who exude negativity and always feel like they got a raw deal... Kinda like the Pessimists' Club that canceled its outing because of a 1% chance of rain. Best to avoid those folks altogether, or they'll drag you down with them.

Haha! Couldn't have said it better!

People like you are a disgrace to the Physical Therapy profession. First you say how much you hate your job as a PTA, then talk about how much RNs and PTAs get paid compared to PTs. So what is the main reason you hate your job as a PTA? Is it the money aspect or helping a lacrosse player get back on the field 3 weeks sooner? You seem like your knowledge in your own profession is a big 0 if you think PTs only treat high school athletes. Please do the American public a favor and do not treat any patients.