Dr. Benjamin Carson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovedocta07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this man has really inspired me, i hope all you premeds saw 'gifted hands' on TNT.

Members don't see this ad.

The problem with that movie is that it is only on at midnight, right when I am trying to sleep. Even though I have seen it like 5 times in the last two weeks I find myself watching it until 1:30 every night it is on.

Maybe this is just a genius movie in part of the TNT executives :idea:. Putting medical movies on in the wee morning hours knowing we are programed to be awake and interested.

But yes, it is a decent watch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Inspiring movie. A in general chemistry instantly = Neurosurgon. Every premed's dream.

Hes got a good story, but I didn't like the movie, too jumpy.

Inspiring movie. A in general chemistry instantly = Neurosurgon. Every premed's dream.

Hes got a good story, but I didn't like the movie, too jumpy.

That's kind of how I felt too, the story behind it was awesome but the movie itself seemed to skip so much.

You guys have to really read his book, there are so many great lessons you can learn from the many trials he faced during his childhood. The movie skips so much information that I absolutely hated it. They skipped his whole medical school experience! You might think he went to Yale but that was for residency. He actually went to Michigan State University because of financial reasons. The book is also called Gifted Hands. It's AWESOME:thumbup:

You guys have to really read his book, there are so many great lessons you can learn from the many trials he faced during his childhood. The movie skips so much information that I absolutely hated it. They skipped his whole medical school experience! You might think he went to Yale but that was for residency. He actually went to Michigan State University because of financial reasons. The book is also called Gifted Hands. It's AWESOME:thumbup:

:thumbup: the book is good! I haven't seen the show but books are usually better anyway ;)

oooh, i wanna see this movie. i hope they show it again soon...

Does anyone know if there's a way to watch the movie online? I tried searching and couldn't find it.

:eek: Correction: Ben Carson actually went to Yale University for undergrad, University of Michigan for medical school and Johns Hopkins for residency.

I agree with those who say the movie was not great at all. I still like that there was a movie made about this person. The book seems to be written to inspire young adolescents, but it's still worth reading just for fun and is much better than the movie.

For minority revisit weekend at Hopkins, students get to meet him at his home!

i hope you didnt read his book

I read the book a few years ago. It was really inspiring....hmmm, I didn't even know they made a movie out of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
carson has gone off the deep end. read his latest book called taking the risk. in it, he describes his fight with cancer by drinking pounds of red herbal tea (no other treatment) and nearly forgoes surgical removal of his prostate in a second bout with cancer (eventually he does it, but i was confused at some of his logic). also, he has a chapter dedicated to a moneyless society that hes been talking to various politicians about.

google Alfredo Quiñones-Hinojosa

he'll be the neurosurgeon to watch at hopkins over the next few decades

he's also the keynote speaker for revisit weekend this year!

google Alfredo Quiñones-Hinojosa

he'll be the neurosurgeon to watch at hopkins over the next few decades

he's also the keynote speaker for revisit weekend this year!

Yeah, I'm excited to meet him too!

carson has gone off the deep end. read his latest book called taking the risk. in it, he describes his fight with cancer by drinking pounds of red herbal tea (no other treatment) and nearly forgoes surgical removal of his prostate in a second bout with cancer (eventually he does it, but i was confused at some of his logic). also, he has a chapter dedicated to a moneyless society that hes been talking to various politicians about.
ironically enough i hear his house is ridiculous

:eek: Correction: Ben Carson actually went to Yale University for undergrad, University of Michigan for medical school and Johns Hopkins for residency.

I agree with those who say the movie was not great at all. I still like that there was a movie made about this person. The book seems to be written to inspire young adolescents, but it's still worth reading just for fun and is much better than the movie.

For minority revisit weekend at Hopkins, students get to meet him at his home!

I know this is a shallow question but, how nice is his home?

An excellent, inspiring story! I really enjoyed (and probably needed) it

What's up, BTW, with all the recent press for Hopkins? First they have their own reality mini-series, now this. Maybe they're just that good. Anyways. . .

:eek: For minority revisit weekend at Hopkins, students get to meet him at his home!

THATS SO COOL! and Quiñones as the keynote speaker! WOW! when is that second look, i think i am gonna sneak in just to check it out.

I know this is a shallow question but, how nice is his home?
lol i thought you watched the TNT thing.. wasnt that house he was in his home? i think it's actually his house.. it was HUGE.. and swank. haha and ive heard him speak once and he talked a little about his riches and it seems he's doing pretty well for himself lol

I'm not sure what to think about with some of the responses in this thread. First, the guy came from basically nothing. He didn't come from a family of riches or anything like a good percentage of SDNers come from. What Dr. Carson has done in his medical career is outstanding. Even if he makes 1 million dollars a year he has earned it. I have no problem with him having a huge home.

Many SDNers don't realize what Dr. Carson overcame. Sure you can read it in a book and watch it on a TV, but to live it is a whole different story. I know how it feels to have no money (I know the feeling of seeing -200 dollars in the checking account because you spent 1 dollar too much on that last meal...damn daily overdraft charges), being called dumb (oh god, if I had a dollar in my bank account with the number of times my parents have called me dumb and all of those times I was called dumb in elementary, middle school, and in high school I would be rich), and so much more.

One of the reasons why I want to become a doctor (later down on the priority list) is personal achievement. I want to show all of those people I went to school with back in the day (the ones that I added to Facebook) that I did better them in life. Sure you can say that becoming a doctor doesn't make me a better person, but when so many of those quacks now work as administrative assistants, cooks, 3rd grade teachers, etc, and I become a doctor, I can shove in their faces.

I'm not sure what to think about with some of the responses in this thread. First, the guy came from basically nothing. He didn't come from a family of riches or anything like a good percentage of SDNers come from. What Dr. Carson has done in his medical career is outstanding. Even if he makes 1 million dollars a year he has earned it. I have no problem with him having a huge home.

Many SDNers don't realize what Dr. Carson overcame. Sure you can read it in a book and watch it on a TV, but to live it is a whole different story. I know how it feels to have no money (I know the feeling of seeing -200 dollars in the checking account because you spent 1 dollar too much on that last meal...damn daily overdraft charges), being called dumb (oh god, if I had a dollar in my bank account with the number of times my parents have called me dumb and all of those times I was called dumb in elementary, middle school, and in high school I would be rich), and so much more.

One of the reasons why I want to become a doctor (later down on the priority list) is personal achievement. I want to show all of those people I went to school with back in the day (the ones that I added to Facebook) that I did better them in life. Sure you can say that becoming a doctor doesn't make me a better person, but when so many of those quacks now work as administrative assistants, cooks, 3rd grade teachers, etc, and I become a doctor, I can shove in their faces.

i have no problem with him making 7 figures or having a big home either...i just find it funny that a person with a great deal of material possesions and wealth would advocate a money-less society

I just think it's funny that he wrote a book about himself and called it "Gifted Hands" lol :rolleyes: Movie was okay...still laugh at the title...

I just think it's funny that he wrote a book about himself and called it "Gifted Hands" lol :rolleyes: Movie was okay...still laugh at the title...

I take it you don't understand the meaning of the title.

I take it you don't understand the meaning of the title.

lol. I am assuming it's something about how his hands are gifts from God. If it's not that then oh well. I still think it's funny that a surgeon calls his autobiography "Gifted Hands".:)

Hey docorno, many of us have had to overcome great difficulties and struggles in our lives, but saying that you want to become a doctor to shove it in people's face... yeah... that might not work out so well for you. I know you said that priority is way down on the list but it shouldn't be on the list at all. The nature of this profession requires selfless individuals who live to help others, not "shove it in their faces". Also I wouldn't suggest degrading any profession but particularly not 3rd grade teachers or any teacher for that matter, they serve a very important function in society.

Oh btw... forgot to mention, Dr. Carson is the man. I saw someone post somewhere else that he has influenced so many minorities especially black males to pursue a career in medicine. I can definately attest to that, he certainly motivated me, Class of 2013 BABY :)!

Hey docorno, many of us have had to overcome great difficulties and struggles in our lives, but saying that you want to become a doctor to shove it in people's face... yeah... that might not work out so well for you. I know you said that priority is way down on the list but it shouldn't be on the list at all. The nature of this profession requires selfless individuals who live to help others, not "shove it in their faces". Also I wouldn't suggest degrading any profession but particularly not 3rd grade teachers or any teacher for that matter, they serve a very important function in society.

Order of importance:

1: I have a burning desire to help people with a genetic condition, want to know their risks, manage patients with genetic disorders, etc. My goal is to become a clinical geneticist.

2: I want to do research showing how commom disease associated gene mutations are found in healthy persons.

3: I want to develop a medical family history interpritation company.

4: I want to help countries that don't have any genetic services develop genetic services.

5: Working in the field of genetics is the only thing that I can enjoy and it is the only thing that makes me happy.

6: I want to prove to myself that I can achieve my goals in life

7: I love learning about the human body and all of the known genetic correlations to everything physiological.

8: I want to be sucessful in life so I can help the young people in my family (the young children born from my uncles/aunts). I want to help them pay for college so they also can reach their goals in life. My family (aunts, uncles, etc, are from a very rural area and the opportunity to get a good education is very poor....so most family members, if they get any education beyond high school, is mostly tech school for nursing and administrative type of work, or other healthcare type of jobs).

9: My significant other wants me to be happy. (related to above)

10: I want to show that people who thought I was dumb back in the days that I'm not dumb...I just didn't apply myself. In 2006 (6 years after high school) I added a person from high school on Facebook and he couldn't believe that I was in college....he said himself that he thought I was too stupid to become anything in life. A year later I came across a person that I went to high school with (while he was in medical school) that is now a resident and he couldn't believe I was in the medical library reading journal articles. He flat out asked what I was up. So I told him. Now we talk, lol.

So yes I can use it as a personal motivation factor.

Order of importance:

1: I have a burning desire to help people with a genetic condition, want to know their risks, manage patients with genetic disorders, etc. My goal is to become a clinical geneticist.

2: I want to do research showing how commom disease associated gene mutations are found in healthy persons.

3: I want to develop a medical family history interpritation company.

4: I want to help countries that don't have any genetic services develop genetic services.

5: Working in the field of genetics is the only thing that I can enjoy and it is the only thing that makes me happy.

6: I want to prove to myself that I can achieve my goals in life

7: I love learning about the human body and all of the known genetic correlations to everything physiological.

8: I want to be sucessful in life so I can help the young people in my family (the young children born from my uncles/aunts). I want to help them pay for college so they also can reach their goals in life. My family (aunts, uncles, etc, are from a very rural area and the opportunity to get a good education is very poor....so most family members, if they get any education beyond high school, is mostly tech school for nursing and administrative type of work, or other healthcare type of jobs).

9: My significant other wants me to be happy. (related to above)

10: I want to show that people who thought I was dumb back in the days that I'm not dumb...I just didn't apply myself. In 2006 (6 years after high school) I added a person from high school on Facebook and he couldn't believe that I was in college....he said himself that he thought I was too stupid to become anything in life. A year later I came across a person that I went to high school with (while he was in medical school) that is now a resident and he couldn't believe I was in the medical library reading journal articles. He flat out asked what I was up. So I told him. Now we talk, lol.

So yes I can use it as a personal motivation factor.

You can use whatever you want to motivate you, and you should... but there is absolutely no reason to look down upon school teachers or even chefs. Personally, I consider it much more noble to become a teacher, where you do some really tough work for virtually no money. Merely getting into med school (assuming you've gotten in), does not make you a better person.

Precisely!!!!!!! DO NOT EVER DEGRADE PEOPLE FOR GOING INTO TEACHING!!!! It is more teachers that we need to create better well educated individuals who can be our future leaders of tomorrow.

Do not underestimate the importance of a good teacher. It is great instructors who help students to grow and learn so that they can achieve their dreams. A lot of the kids I knew from my HS graduating class went into teaching who were in the popular crowds. However, I respect them greatly for doing so. I have them on my fb and myspace profiles and I can tell from their pics and comments that they are happier then you will ever be if you need to shove things in other people's faces just for your own happiness. (READ MY POST BEFORE THIS ONE)

Secondly, I have seen that being a doctor does not equal happiness as often as one thinks. (DID i SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT?) Look at the general residency forum and see how many people say they wouldn't do it again. Talk to several physicians and see how many are telling you not to go into medicine. (I HAVE OVER 5 YEARS OF HOSPITAL WORK EXPERIENCE. I'M NOT SOME DOOP WANTING TO BECOME A DOCTOR) Then tell me that you are better then the 3rd grade teacher.

Also most chefs are chefs and cooks because that is what they wanted to do with their life and are happy doing it.

Again, I will reiterate Docorno. People enter all sorts of professions for reasons of their own but I have found that the ones who hold grudges long past their childhood are the ones who are the most insecure and unhappiest while a lot of these other people are actually happy doing what they are doing with their lives. I never get the whole lets hold a grudge for the rest of our life against our old HS enemies thing. I TAKE IT YOU DON'T HAVE ANY SCARS FROM THOSE DAYS. TRUST ME, WHEN A YOUNG CHILD IS SCARD IT STICKS WITH YOU FOREVER. THERE IS NO WAY OF GETTING OVER THE MEMORIES) Children grow up and realize their mistakes more often then you realize. But when an adult hurts you chances are they wont change as much. That is what I've come to learn in my life.

Don't judge people for going into teaching? Don't judge other people for thinking of such a thing. Just so you know, two of my brothers are married to teachers.

I hope you both noticed that I never once mentioned money as a reason, as it isn't. I would be willing to live in a one bedroom apartment for the rest of my life for all I care. All I need in life is food on the table, my football on TV, some nice ice cream with cake, and a happy wife....to go along with a job that I am passionate about.

Ah, so, teaching is woman's work.

n=2

Two subjects are male (two brothers)

Both brothers are not gay.

Not being gay means they are attracted to the XX

It just happens that the profession of the XX's that both XY's married to are teachers.

You add "friends" to facebook so you can show off how much better you are than them in life? Sounds like you have some issues.

You may find this thread useful:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=582079

Having a person added on Facebook so they can one day see the medical student thing on my profile (an if, maybe, hopefully situtation)....nothing wrong with that. If you do think there is something wrong with that, you may want to step back with telling others how to live life.

I hope you both noticed that I never once mentioned money as a reason, as it isn't. I would be willing to live in a one bedroom apartment for the rest of my life for all I care. All I need in life is food on the table, my football on TV, some nice ice cream with cake, and a happy wife....to go along with a job that I am passionate about.

Good for you, but I gotta ask... what's wrong with wanting to make money? I mean, why are you getting all defensive here, especially since no one has accused you of wanting to go into medicine solely for the money. You really think quite highly of yourself don't you? How you're going into such a noble profession with such good intentions, and how you don't care at all about money, etc...

Anyways, didn't mean to contribute to the hijacking of this thread :D. But yeah, Carson seems like he has a very interesting story, although I haven't seen the movie nor read the book. Maybe I'll pick up the book sometime...

I think you're missing my point. What I'm taking issue with is this:

"...quacks now work as administrative assistants, cooks, 3rd grade teachers, etc, and I become a doctor, I can shove in their faces."

You've barely begun the process of becoming a doctor yet you so arrogantly look down on these other professions. I'm just saying unless I'm misunderstanding your post, your response sounds very immature.

Never saw the show. The book is aimed at 2nd/3rd grade reading level though so really a pain to work through. I bought one and gave it away to a cute girl trying to learn English as I was traveling in other countries.
True story.

umm, yea, back to ben..

has anyone taken a look at his CV? it's 70 pages long! is that atypical even for famous docs?

wtf...seriously...you are going into a career to help people. It doesn't matter who it is, what they did for a living, or frankly, how many times they made fun of you and called you stupid. All of us have been there and all of us have decided that we can put it behind us, including all of the other negatives of pursuing medicine, to help the people around us.

Pursuing medicine is a sacrifice and not everyone who is able to pursue medicine is able to make that sacrifice. Some may not have access to college, the financial freedom to shadow, or a stable environment that allows them to think outside of their surroundings. Some simply choose what they know, enjoyed, or excelled at...which may not be medicine at all. Friends of mine are certainly capable of making it into medical school and succeeding, but they instead chose teaching, engineering, carpentry, auto repair, and even fence installation. But you know what? They are usually doing what makes them happy and they are achieving what they want. And they couldn't care less about some arrogant prick who wastes their time coming in from the golf course...believe me...I've already heard the conversations.

Congrats on achieving what you set out to achieve, but you still have a very long way to go, imho...

As for the OP...Ben Carson was great when he spoke at my wife's commencement. I don't get TNT, but it sounds like I should just budget to read the book instead....

Last edited:
Did you guys know according to Wikipedia Dr. Carson became Director of Pediatric neurosurgey at JHU at age 33? I know residency for neurosurgery is 6 years and 2 years for pediatric fellowship. I guess Dr. Carson is just that brillant.

The movie was not worth the story of the man it sought to portray