Dr Collins PCAT Prep Class v. Kaplan PCAT Prep Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iselldrugs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the luxury of being able to take the actual pcat prep course and I am wondering which one is better? In other words which course is better quality and prepares you more to take the PCAT and score high?

Members don't see this ad.

I seriously doubt there are many people who take both courses.

However, the people at my school have said Kaplan has gotten them into pharm school..... They never took Collins though.

Take the Dr. Collins course!! I didn't have the luxury of being able to take the Dr. Collins course because its only offered in Florida, but I bought the Dr. Collins packet and studied off of there and referred to the Kaplan book (about 20-30 bucks) and the McGraw Hill PCAT book (super cheap and really good for bio and chem), I felt really prepared. Dr. Collins has a lot of practice tests and lets you practice with questions that are on the pcat or were on the pcat at some point. Kaplan really is far too in depth and misses a lot of key topics like microbiology. Dr. Collins targets the topics you need to learn! If you want a really great score, go for Dr. Collins and you wont regret it. But also buy a Kaplan PCAT and McGraw Hill book, they are useful get a little more knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Collins, and by the time I was through the 8 practice tests, I thought I was fine. Then BAM!!! The PCAT was 10 times more difficult that anything covered on the Collins material-on the Math sections and Chem. The other stuff was pretty good. The Kaplan and McGraw Hill books are good also. I do not think Collins was worth the money. I studied the Collins math, but I do not think it is representative. The PCAT is waaayy harder.

I thought Collins was pretty representative for the math and verbal sections. The rest were too easy in comparison to the actual test.

What if we were talking about just the collins self study guide vs. the Kaplan 2012-2013 book instead of the instructor led courses, which study guide is better in each subject, and overall?