Dr. Collins' Study Guide

Started by chemguy79
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chemguy79

New Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've noticed that a few people who have taken his prep course mention that it wasn't very helpful for the Biology section. However, I haven't seen anyone mention why it wasn't helpful. For those who used his study guide, what was your take on his Biology prep materials? I'm an analytical chemist, so I'm not as worried about the Chemistry or the Quant sections nearly as much as I am about the Biology part of the exam, so any feedback that you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick
 
I've noticed that a few people who have taken his prep course mention that it wasn't very helpful for the Biology section. However, I haven't seen anyone mention why it wasn't helpful. For those who used his study guide, what was your take on his Biology prep materials? I'm an analytical chemist, so I'm not as worried about the Chemistry or the Quant sections nearly as much as I am about the Biology part of the exam, so any feedback that you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick.
I took Collin's class and I felt the bio was a TREMENDOUS help! I scored an 81 on that section after I took his class. But maybe it may have a different effect on others who just bought the study materials from his website and studied themselves? I actually went to the class and had a teacher give us hints for the bio section. So maybe it is not the same level of studying?
 
Thanks Moni!

I purchased his prep materials and I have been going through them religiously. However, since Biology is my weakest area, I wasn't sure if I should pursue another study guide to make sure that I cover all of my bases. Good luck on your upcoming interviews!
 
I used Kaplan to supplement Dr. Collins and made a 90 (81 in bio). Dr. Collins Biology is a good refresher, but for the more involved questions, I think Kaplan helped out a lot. People may say the downside to this is that the Bio in Kaplan is extensive and it would take you a while to actually go through all of the information. By the way, my degree is in Biochemistry, so Biology was the area that I was the most concerned about also.
 
I thought the problem with Dr. Collins' biology section was it was too broad. It didn't go into enough detail in some parts - and you can't help it since you're trying to cram an entire year's worth of learning into a small packet.

I supplemented the biology section with the Audio Osmosis from Examkrakers biology, and I think it helped a lot. It's also very convenient, cuz I could listen to it during my commute to and from work.