Dr. Collins vs. Kaplan PCAT Prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Potential123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening, I understand this question was asked before. But I was wondering which one is better. I looked at the statistics for people who took the PCAT after Dr. Collins course and it was staggering. However, I do not live near the sites where the class is being offered. I do live near a Kaplan site and I could get a 50% discount. I was wondering should I consider making an investment to take the Collins class or the Kaplan prep course?

Members don't see this ad.

I used Dr. Collins predominantly but before I bought it, I got the Kaplan book instead and immediately went to the chemistry section. Needless to say, nearly 80% of the material I studied didn't appear on the PCAT for me so it was kind of a waste. I can't say much else about Kaplan, but Dr. Collins really helped me prepare well for the actual test. The $325 study guide price tag drives people away so try and find people who have a used copy and buy it from them for a significantly lower price (<$100).

Good evening, I understand this question was asked before. But I was wondering which one is better. I looked at the statistics for people who took the PCAT after Dr. Collins course and it was staggering. However, I do not live near the sites where the class is being offered. I do live near a Kaplan site and I could get a 50% discount. I was wondering should I consider making an investment to take the Collins class or the Kaplan prep course?

Nothing compares to Dr. Collins. I never took the PCAT before and have been graduated for 2 years which means that I haven't seen most of the info covered on the PCAT in 2-4 years. I only used Dr. Collins and 2 Pearson Practice PCAT exams and got an 81 composite (and 97 percentile in Biology - though that is what my degree is in, I can say that the best part of Dr. Collins entire packet it the Bio study guide - completely comprehensive). It's your future - you have to decide if the cost of the material is worth it - but if you only have to take the PCAT once and apply to school once, the cost of Dr. Collins offsets re-testing, etc.

I took the PCAT Jan 9 and am selling my Dr. Collins package now for $200 + $15 shipping.

Here is a link to pictures: http://imgur.com/a/GUdgP#0

I also placed an ad earlier.

I wouldn't waste my money on anything else. Dr. Collins and Pearson practice tests will prepare you sufficiently.

I agree with the other two replies. Dr. Collins was the only studying tool I used for the January 2013 PCAT and I scored a 96 composite in comparison to my 36 and 31 composites on the September 2012 and November 2012 PCATs, respectively. Both of my lower scoring PCATs I had used Kaplan. Some use Kaplan for Biology but it didn't make much of a difference in that area for me for me. It pales in comparison to Dr. Collins.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree with those who say Dr Collins is a better study material.It is straight to the point as concerns the questions that appear on the actual exam.As a matter of fact I encountered some questions that were exactly the same.Kaplan is also good especially their practice questions.I used Dr Collins for 1 month only.Yes 1 month.And I was so impressed.Like the Sugoi Travis says above,the price scares some people away,so I had to buy mine used.
I offering it together with the complete Kaplan test prep.

Reactions: 1 user
I need a new Dr. Collins for my study. I am planning to take PCAT in Fall this year 2014. Do any of you having materials for sale? Please let me know. Thank you!

I am also planning to take my pcat this fall. I took it last year and scored very low. If anyone is selling their Dr. Collins study guide please contact me.

Hi all,

I am reading some of the comments and I'll be honest, I had a completely different experience. Some of the comments are old so maybe Kaplan has changed for the better.

Also, probably my experience was different because I decided that my PCAT score was important and I paid the 1399 for the actual pcat class that Kaplan has. I did the online class because it was easier for me. Anyway, the class comes with the books and I scored much higher than what I was expecting. Obviously most of us are bio majors so I needed help really in quantitative because of the calculus. I felt that the class and the book was super helpful for me plus the practice tests that come with the class. At the end of the day, I couldnt just read a book because I need to be "taught" and I needed someone else to make me accountable. So Kaplan helped with that and my teacher was easy to understand. At the end, I got into University of Texas so, I am happy. But of course everyone is different. I hope this is helpful.

I dont know if it was all about timing, but i tell ya what i paid an extra fee to take the Kaplan on demand online filled with explanation and homework subtests as well as a diagnostic and additional full length practice tests. Kaplan tends to take info. a step further in comprehension (perhaps more than anything else and not just PCAT type questions). But because of this extra factor, and after a few months of using kaplan online and its book, when i took the full length practice tests as well as dr collins practice tests for many of the sections, I found the questions EASIER than i could ever imagine! I have a bud that purchased Dr collins and i had the Kaplan so at this point with just under two weeks til PCAT day the Dr Collins seems like a playground to me... If you have the time and the discipline, Kaplan was def. helpful (unless your the kind that just wants the minimum prep and tons of practice with that min. prep thats fine too i have lots of buds that scored exceptionally well with dr. collins). Dr. Collins seemed realistic with its practice problems and PCAT questions, but Kaplan helped with that AND how to easily derive terminology if a problem came my way. as well as how to triage and math tips to get by quicker that proved well for me. Anyway this late til PCAT date for july you might as well stick with Dr. Collins it does the job extremely well too.

Reactions: 1 user