Dr. Phil

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emogrrrrl

I like my freedom
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just passing through from the pharmacy forum, but had to pose a question to all of you either currently enrolled in a phd or psyd program, or to those of you who are applying to enter. In our forum someone inquired about dr. phil and his credentials. I'm pretty sure he has his phd, not a psyd. Correct me if I am wrong. Anyways, I responded to him saying that I thought Dr. phil was a joke and everyone I know in the field of psychology doesn't hold any real respect for him. Having received my bachelors in psychology and having done research in clinical psychology for 2 years with the intention of entering into a phd program, I think he gives the field a bad name. I have several friends who are currently enrolled in phd and psyd programs who also agree, in addition to every professor I've had. Is it me, and everyone I know in my area, who believe this? Or is this a common agreement across the U.S. within the different programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
Well Dr. Phil does have a Ph.D in clinical psychology. I believe from either the one of the texas colleges or University of Colorado. As far as what I think of him; He is hardly the model of scientific, evidence-based psychological science. He is a self-help guru that has used psychology and parlayed it into a multi-million dollar business. I can't hate a guy trying to help people and make buck. That said, I wouldn't be comparing him to the practicing, scientific community. He is the psychological version of a Deepak Chopra or Andrew Weil. Make of it what you will, but he sure knows how to be a damn good businessman.

Sanman said:
Hey,
Well Dr. Phil does have a Ph.D in clinical psychology. I believe from either the one of the texas colleges or University of Colorado. As far as what I think of him; He is hardly the model of scientific, evidence-based psychological science. He is a self-help guru that has used psychology and parlayed it into a multi-million dollar business. I can't hate a guy trying to help people and make buck. That said, I wouldn't be comparing him to the practicing, scientific community. He is the psychological version of a Deepak Chopra or Andrew Weil. Make of it what you will, but he sure knows how to be a damn good businessman.

Yeah, but that's all he's really about, business.

Members don't see this ad :)
emogrrrrl said:
Yeah, but that's all he's really about, business.

Looks like his son is cashing in as well: http://www.drphil.com/about/about_jay.jhtml

Oddly, Dr. Phil does not report his educational qualifications on his website. I do remember reading that he received a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from the University of North Texas or some other Texas-based school.

People will always playa hate the popularizers. But I wouldn't doubt for a second that anyone reading this post would turn down millions to hang out with Oprah and popularize clinical psychology.

According to the E! website it was the university of North Texas.

In Canada, if a psychologist wanted to do what Dr. Phil is doing, he/she would lose their licence. Our code of conduct strictly prohibits giving advice on TV given the lack of confidentiality and lack of proper therapeutic relationship. While I have watched it in the past and cringed many times, I found it helpful for learning how to explain psychological concepts in simple layman language (they don't teach that in grad school it seems ....). Although I lost all my respect for him for cashing in on the obesity epidemic...

lazure said:
In Canada, if a psychologist wanted to do what Dr. Phil is doing, he/she would lose their licence. Our code of conduct strictly prohibits giving advice on TV given the lack of confidentiality and lack of proper therapeutic relationship. .

My neighbors are the current "Dr. Phil family," and as such they are on the program about once a week.

They've informed me that every guest signs an agreement recognizing that no patient/doctor relationship exists once they come on the show, and that all actions taken by the show or Dr. Phil do not constitute therapy.

So while Dr. Phil may not fulfill the model that we expect, his guests know this upfront and aren't being harranged in any way.

They've informed me that every guest signs an agreement recognizing that no patient/doctor relationship exists once they come on the show, and that all actions taken by the show or Dr. Phil do not constitute therapy.

I was aware that this is done :) Yet he should not be advertising himself as a 'dr.' if he does not enter into a therapeutic relationship. Would a Mr. Phil who is trained as a plumber be able to pull of this show? He does use elements of his psychotherapeutic training yet this is not therapy? He does address people with very serious problems on his show who would benefit far more from confidential treatment than from 10 minutes on the stage with him... that's not unethical for a licenced professional???

lazure said:

I was aware that this is done :) Yet he should not be advertising himself as a 'dr.' if he does not enter into a therapeutic relationship. Would a Mr. Phil who is trained as a plumber be able to pull of this show? He does use elements of his psychotherapeutic training yet this is not therapy? He does address people with very serious problems on his show who would benefit far more from confidential treatment than from 10 minutes on the stage with him... that's not unethical for a licenced professional???

Ethics don't matter when ABC and Dr. Phil are making millions.

Ethics don't matter when ABC and Dr. Phil are making millions.

I know :( at least some idealistists like me still believe in ethical conduct...

Dr. Phil is a joke. Anyone who takes him or what he says seriously is pretty dumb. Anyone who has taken Psych 101 in college could probably give the same advice he does.