Dr. Romano

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwtaylor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok....maybe this doesnt belong here...but i've been catching alot of ER re-runs lately and im sure all of you closet ER fans know Dr. Romano from the show. well my question is: are there people like him? is it fairly common to come across people like him when you're an m3/4 and resident?

Members don't see this ad.

jwtaylor said:
Ok....maybe this doesnt belong here...but i've been catching alot of ER re-runs lately and im sure all of you closet ER fans know Dr. Romano from the show. well my question is: are there people like him? is it fairly common to come across people like him when you're an m3/4 and resident?

at an interview at yale, i met an m1 like him!

jwtaylor said:

There's an orthopod at a hospital I used to work at who is him^2!! The guy actually throws stuff at the nurses and rad techs in the OR. One guy doing Flouro for a procedure actually walked out after having a hip pin hurled at his head. recently this same doc got in a fight at a bar and left only to return with a gun that he fired to get some respect. Real winner - let me tell ya. One can only hope a helicopter clips of his arm.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may be naive, but I'm hoping that although people like him certainly exist, they are generally not given such positions of power.

People tend to fail upward, especially in hospital settings where they can be put in positions of diminishing patient contact. Are there people like that? Absolutely there are. We know this both from our personal experiences as well as the fact that his archetype character had to come from somewhere.

jwtaylor said:

There probably are, but from a paient's perspective, that''s the kind of guy I want to do hardcore surgery on me. Think about it: the guy is a perfectionist, and is harder on himself when he fails/or performs a procedure even slightly flawed.

there are people on all ends of the spectrum, and the person farthest left is considered Dr. Romano.

Shaz said:
There probably are, but from a paient's perspective, that''s the kind of guy I want to do hardcore surgery on me. Think about it: the guy is a perfectionist, and is harder on himself when he fails/or performs a procedure even slightly flawed.

perfectionist does not have to equal egomaniacal a$$hole

ornis4 said:
I may be naive, but I'm hoping that although people like him certainly exist, they are generally not given such positions of power.

are you serious?! it's the power that intoxicates them and turns them into monsters in the first place.

MedicineBird said:
are you serious?! it's the power that intoxicates them and turns them into monsters in the first place.

I disagree...people like Romano are pricks from start to finish, regardless of power. I don't think power helps the situation, but remember, a lot of Romano's behavior was a direct attempt to cover up his empty life outside the hospital. If he was a real person, I would bet he acted like an a$$ well before he became a successful surgeon. But who knows.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of having Romano on ER? His character added nothing to the show. His only credit is the laughter caused by the helicopter falling off the roof and onto him.

ornis4 said:
I disagree...people like Romano are pricks from start to finish, regardless of power. I don't think power helps the situation, but remember, a lot of Romano's behavior was a direct attempt to cover up his empty life outside the hospital. If he was a real person, I would bet he acted like an a$$ well before he became a successful surgeon. But who knows.

I'm not saying power leads directly to jerk-dom. There has to be a seed already waiting to germinate. What I'm saying in that power can be like MiracleGrow.

MedicineBird said:
I'm not saying power leads directly to jerk-dom. There has to be a seed already waiting to germinate. What I'm saying in that power can be like MiracleGrow.

Good analogy, I agree with that. As for Romano's purpose on the show...I don't know. The writers seem to have a general concept of surgeons that comes across on the show...from Benton to Romano to Corday(sp?). All kind of socially inept, neurotic perfectionists who seem to have no time for lives outside of the OR. Maybe that's accurate, I don't know, but it's clear how they envision surgeons...

Members don't see this ad :)
indo said:
Can anyone tell me the purpose of having Romano on ER? His character added nothing to the show. His only credit is the laughter caused by the helicopter falling off the roof and onto him.
Man I loved Romanos character. He was an ass but he added more flavor to the show than any one of the characters that they have now. Since they killed him off, the show has been pretty stale. There's no character like someone you love to hate.

As much as we may hate people like Romano in real life, at least his character was a competent surgeon. There's nothing worse than an incompetent doctor that keeps on practicing even if they're the nicest person in the world.

I think this thread does belong in the Lounge...

-dope-

Last edited:
dopaminophile said:
As much as we may hate people like Romano in real life, at least his character was a competent surgeon. There's nothing worse than an incompetent doctor that keeps on practicing even if they're the nicest person in the world.

-dope-
Unfortunately, I know and have worked with a couple people like that. Although they're the last people I'd ever hang out with socially; If I ever need to be sliced and diced open, they'd be the first people I'd call. While in the ideal universe, the best and most talented surgeons are also the most personable doctors...for the most part, some of the best docs are controlling anal retentive perfectionists with big egos...but they get the job done.

MedicineBird said:
perfectionist does not have to equal egomaniacal a$$hole

Excellent point.

Ambs said:
Excellent point.
Think about it: a true perfectionist is one who will do anything possible to get the desired result, even if that means bossing people around and making people do redundant tasks, all of which come across as "being an dingus." A true perfectionist also must believe in his abilities to, at least eventually, perform a task better than anyone else, hence egomaniacal.

Shaz said:
Think about it: a true perfectionist is one who will do anything possible to get the desired result, even if that means bossing people around and making people do redundant tasks, all of which come across as "being an dingus." A true perfectionist also must believe in his abilities to, at least eventually, perform a task better than anyone else, hence egomaniacal.

Not entirely true. I am really too lazy to get into it, actually.

Word up, Happy Valentine's Day.

indo said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

and just think if he wasn't on the show this thread would not exist...so see he does have a purpose :thumbup:

Shaz said:
but some can really be a perfectionist without getting on everyone's nerves...i know they are rare but it is possible if you have things under control and are well organized...well yea ok that's very rare

Romano is the typical old-school surgeon. Many who are exactly like him DO exist, but unfortunately, not as many as there used to be. This is mainly because of the whole warm-n-fuzzy movement, including the 80-hour work week.

If I'm not mistaken, there were several episodes on the earlier seasons (97-2000), that showed a compassionate side of Romano, someone who despite his brash exterior actually cared deeply about his patients, about Lizzie, about his job. Unfortunately this got lost on a lot of viewers.

later of course, the producers mucked up his role 100%, and turned him into this prick who did nothing but insult people. Worst seasons of ER were between 2001 and 2004. This year's episodes are looking up though, fingers crossed.