Dr. Scholl's vs. Temple (DPM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr2bjake

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have an insight for an aspiring podiatrist as to which school they would attend?

I am giving serious thought to both Temple and Scholl's (Rosalind Franklin).

Does anyone know what the educational profiles are? (i.e. How good the education is and/or which school will provide the best opportunity for competitive residencies)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

dr2bjake said:
Hello,

Does anyone have an insight for an aspiring podiatrist as to which school they would attend?

I am giving serious thought to both Temple and Scholl's (Rosalind Franklin).

Does anyone know what the educational profiles are? (i.e. How good the education is and/or which school will provide the best opportunity for competitive residencies)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Both schools are good. Scholl is considered very good for radiology.

I went to Des Moines, you should consider them too. They have very strong academics and are known for their students being well read and able to cite literature.

Any school will provide you an equal opportunity for residency. Currently, there are more residencies than graduating students. Obtaining a good residency is most dependent on personal motivation. If you impress the residency director with your knowledge of current literature, and show you're interested, it doesn't matter what school you attended.

Let me know if I can be of other help.

LCR

diabeticfootdr said:
Both schools are good. Scholl is considered very good for radiology.

I went to Des Moines, you should consider them too. They have very strong academics and are known for their students being well read and able to cite literature.

Any school will provide you an equal opportunity for residency. Currently, there are more residencies than graduating students. Obtaining a good residency is most dependent on personal motivation. If you impress the residency director with your knowledge of current literature, and show you're interested, it doesn't matter what school you attended.

Let me know if I can be of other help.

LCR

Thank you Dr. Rogers

I will definately take what you said into consideration. I would have definately applied to Des Moines but I applied to their D.O. program (before I decided to go the podiatry route). They have a rule that you cannot apply to both at the same time.

The cool thing about Scholl was that they offered me an acceptance on the spot and the facilities were "top notch." Not to mention the administration was very friendly and I felt comfortable there. As for Temple, their academics were what stood out for me.

As of now, podiatric surgery appears to be what fascinates me. So I leave you with two questions.

ONE: May I ask what area of podiatric medicine you practice?
TWO: In your opinion, which one would YOU choose? (Temple or Scholl)

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
dr2bjake said:
ONE: May I ask what area of podiatric medicine you practice?
TWO: In your opinion, which one would YOU choose? (Temple or Scholl)

Thanks again!

I am a first year resident in New York, NY. I am specializing in diabetic foot disorders. There is a lot of surgery involved and a lot of medicine. It's a very broad mixture. The patients I treat are generally very ill. They have many other problems, diabetes, coronary disease, renal disesase, and depression. Podiatric physicians are well integrated into the medical system with respect to diabetic foot infections and amputations. We are considered the world experts. This wouldn't be so if you decided to concentrate in elective surgery or trauma surgery. You'll always be in competition/turf battles with orthopedic surgeons if you choose the latter. Orthopods don't like to operate on diabetic feet, they almost consider it a contraindication to surgery ---- they'll consult you on these problems. And most importantly, you have the immense opportunity to actually make a difference in peoples lives by preventing amputations!! You can't do that by fixing bunions/hammertoes and treating heel pain. (Just some food for thought)

I would choose Scholl. Excellent didactics, good opportunities for rotations. I had a close friend who went there, she rotated through Cook County Hosp (from E.R.) in family practice. The treated her just like any other med student -- she loved it. Also, the area where the new Scholl is located is cheaper cost of living that Philly -- this is important to consider when you can only take out the maximum loans of $38,500 for tuition and living expenses.

Lee