Drafting a new PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nina512

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of writing my PS and I realize that it's totally different from the last PS I sent two years ago. My main concern is what happens when I reapply to a school that doesn't throw out old apps. Will they think I schizo? I guess one reason they're so different is because 2yrs ago I wanted to do MD/PhD, whereas now I'm going for the straight MD. Also, only now do I realize how crappy my first one was :D

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Nina

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Nina(512),

You know, you can't have much to worry about in re-writing a PS unless you are blatantly contradicting your other one. If you were lying or something on that one, or are thinking about it on this one, then there could be some problems at some point. But I doubt that's the case. Adcoms are real people (as far as I've heard), and real people understand that things change. They might even like the fact that you've narrowed your focus to the MD rather than a combined program - it could show that you've put more thought into it, depending on how you write your new PS.

I think the key is just to always be honest, and to stay true to yourself. Seriously, even though it sounds cliche, it's important. In the words of a great woman: "Be honest. [They] know more than you could possibly imagine."

Good luck!

On a tangent....

When you are filling out the EC section, make sure your hours for stuff that you put down the first time match the hours you put down this application cycle. I almost overestimated one of my experiences by 5 hours per week on this new cycle. I ended up getting out my old app and looking at that to make sure I wasn't misrepresenting anything.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
kmjannie said:
On a tangent....

When you are filling out the EC section, make sure your hours for stuff that you put down the first time match the hours you put down this application cycle. I almost overestimated one of my experiences by 5 hours per week on this new cycle. I ended up getting out my old app and looking at that to make sure I wasn't misrepresenting anything.

Best of luck!

well, amcas fills everything in this cycle if you applied after 2002. so no worries about any "overestimation" problems :laugh:

CaptainJack02 said:
well, amcas fills everything in this cycle if you applied after 2002. so no worries about any "overestimation" problems :laugh:

Ah, mine didn't for some reason. That's curious....