"Draw a Person Intellectual Ability Test" ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
So I'm reviewing records for a kid I will see later today. They reference his score on the "Draw a Person Intellectual Ability Test for Children, Adolescents, and Adults" which is apparently (according to my really brief googling) about 10 minutes to administer and, obviously, projective. I did not even know projective cognitive/intelligence tests existed much less still used. WTF- is this measure something that y'all run into? What is the scoring like if anyone is remotely familiar with it? It sounds like this administration might have been done by the school, which sounds really weird. Needless to say I'll be doing a full IQ test on this kid.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it may have some limited utility in special needs populations (ASD, severe ADHD, intellectual disability), but definitely not used widely in other settings. I don't work with kids, and I have never seen it used in an adult report.

I think it may have some limited utility in special needs populations (ASD, severe ADHD, intellectual disability), but definitely not used widely in other settings. I don't work with kids, and I have never seen it used in an adult report.
Interestingly, the same company puts out one for adults...

Even more interesting, Cecil Reynolds is an author, which I didn't expect to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
He came up with an Ed/School psych background and was really interested in test bias and "culture-free" tests, this may have been borne of that time.
Yeh, that makes sense, but still interesting. Given his background focus, I'm curious what correlation is with established CHC instruments/domains - but not curious enough to buy.

Yeh, that makes sense, but still interesting. Given his background focus, I'm curious what correlation is with established CHC instruments/domains - but not curious enough to buy.
Yeah, I've not seen the technical manual for this particular test, but it'd be interesting to peruse.

Preliminary findings from a quick lit search are not kind to the DAP when used in this way.

My kids’ private nursery school administered a similar test to all four year olds monthly over the school year. It was a long time ago but to the best of my recollection they were interested in when the kids added eyelashes, fingers and their scale improved. As a parent it was interesting to track the development of their drawing at the end of the academic year. They never told us they used it for evaluation but reading this - there was clearly something behind it other than an end of year gift. They also evaluated and reported on things like - ability to walk into the classroom alone - and prowess on the monkey bars.

Preliminary findings from a quick lit search are not kind to the DAP when used in this way.
Yep. I some some reference to a master thesis finding that DAP scores were correlated with WPPSI coding and block design and animal coding subscales in 5 year-olds (apparently, their subconsciouses have the same visual-spatial and processing speed abilities as their "consciouses"!) , but nothing else.

Ahh but this is followed not that long after by them putting things in their mouth and then grinning at you to see what you're going to do about it.

I'm trying to delude myself into thinking we'll never get into the "playing with poop" stage.

Reactions: 1 users
I could see some (limited) utility in terms of tracking developmental features in early childhood - looking at complexity of the drawing, spatial awareness in terms of limbs, proportionality, etc. Beyond that, I'm skeptical.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm trying to delude myself into thinking we'll never get into the "playing with poop" stage.
If you do get there, give me a call. I have a bit of experience treating playing with poop, smearing, coprophagia, etc. I accept most major insurances, bourbons, and most good beers (though limited with what IPAs). I'm not responsible enough to take cash.

Reactions: 2 users
If you do get there, give me a call. I have a bit of experience treating playing with poop, smearing, coprophagia, etc. I accept most major insurances, bourbons, and most good beers (though limited with what IPAs). I'm not responsible enough to take cash.
I just threw up in my mouth a little.