Drawing blood on a dog

Started by Hoxydude
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoxydude

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys!
okay so I need a blood sample from my dog so I can test him for heartworms. I have drawn blood at the clinic I work at, and have never had a problem, although I did have instruction from the techs. So im home now and im trying to draw blood from the cephalic vein on my dog and i cant find the vein. Any quick suggestions? I dont want to poke him too much....
thanks!
Rayven
 
FYI - I'm pretty sure this question cannot be answered here because it falls under requesting medical advice (not allowed).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hold off with your non-dominant hand and a vein should stand up. Draw as usual with your dominant hand while continuing to hold off. Sometimes the accessory vein is more readily palpable. Drawing blood single-handedly isn't all that easy unless you are very, very comfortable with blood draws so it's okay if you find this tricky. It takes quite a bit of coordination to do two jobs at once!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.