Drawing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b333b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you have to be able to draw to become a dentist(get through dental school)?

Members don't see this ad.

No.

But someone who draws well MIGHT find certain artistic aspects of dental school (eg: wax-ups) easier. If you can't draw, test/hone your hand-eye skills some other way (models, carving, paint-by-number, etc).

What about guitar hero? from what I hear its a pretty good determination of how good a dentist you will become :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
To pass dental anatomy at my school you had better know how to draw pretty darn good. Not only did we have weekly drawing exercises to turn in of all five views of the teeth at various magnifications (ex. draw #30 at 4.5x average values in facial, lingual, mesial, distal, and occlusal views) and draw in the contacts, heights of contour, and pulp canals. We also had various quizzes and test questions having us draw teeth in various views. The last day of regular class we were given 5 minutes to draw two teeth in all 5 views and if you did not do it up to the instructors standards then you either had to remediate the exercise or get held back. About 3/4 of the class had to come back in and redo the exercise.

It sucked because I had never really drawn anything before that class, but I can tell you now I know my dental anatomy better than most probably.

thanks! what are wax-ups? i am terrible at drawing. i dont think i know anybody who is worse. i think if i could learn to draw a tooth once, i could repeat it with ease, just like i can draw a cube:) but ask me for a picture of a shark and it will be bad.

What about guitar hero? from what I hear its a pretty good determination of how good a dentist you will become :laugh:

That makes me feel better, because according to Guitar Hero, I ROCK! (ahh sorry...)

Seriously though, guitar hero is awesome.

We're here to make coffee metal. We will make everything metal. Blacker than the blackest black times infinity!

Hey phantasmagoriun:

do you folks like coffee? real coffee from the hills of columbia?
the duncan hills will wake you from a thousand deaths.
a cup of blackened blood. die die.
your dying for a cup.

Dethklok = :D

Hey phantasmagoriun:

do you folks like coffee? real coffee from the hills of columbia?
the duncan hills will wake you from a thousand deaths.
a cup of blackened blood. die die.
your dying for a cup.

Dethklok = :D

Prepare for ultimate flavor

Freaking love that show.

Oh and I have survived ( I can't get Fire and Flames on expert though, dammit). But I'm still a guitar hero in my heart... :horns:
And I play bass so it makes up for my short comings.

You don't need to be an artist to get through dental school or dental anatomy but it will help. At my school we also had drawings, 5 different views of the tooth and pulps. Wasn't as intense as the other poster mentioned but they would make you redo them if they weren't perfect. Every instructor had a different opinion and you will find this throughout your dental career - so don't be too hard on yourself if you're a tad off.

Drawing skills will help. You will be able to draw cartoons and have your friends trying to stifle their laughter in the middle of a boring lecture on pharmacology.

You don't have to be able to draw to do well in dental school, but it will definitely help in dental anatomy and any areas involving visualization (ie prep design or treatment planning). Before dental school I did a lot of artistic things and some of my classmates said it gave me an unfair advantage. But really, as long as you know someone who can draw to explain things to you if needed, then you'll be fine.

Oh, and guitar hero rocks!!:D

do you have to be able to draw to become a dentist(get through dental school)?

Drawing fits into "The Art of Dentistry" you must have excellent hand cordination and perceptuability. If your hands shake when your cutting hmm difficult to do dental work on pt i would think... As an artist one must be able to see accuratly the differences in deminsions shades of color and most importantly details. The gift of an artist line near with that a dentist plus the additional bags of personal skills to connect with the pt. :cool: