Dreadlocks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CopperStripes

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have dreadlocks. I'm caucasian, and I've noticed people often make premature assumptions about me because of them. For example, that I smoke a lot of pot. I don't want them to adversely affect the outcome of my med school application. Should I get rid of them before I go to any interviews?

Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is how I look at it, what will upset you more:

A) Cutting the dreads, getting in, and then not having your dreads

B)NOT cutting the dreads, NOT getting in, and wondering forever if it was the dreads.

Like it or not, there are biases out there, and they DO affect peoples' impressions. I am sure this will turn into a thread about whether or not this is fair, but the reality is that these biases exist.

How important are these to you? I wouldn't risk it - cut them off.

I agree. It's kinda like certain facial jewelry or a mohawk or something like that. Just doesn't look very professional, and you might lose points with certain interviewers because of it. I say cut them off, unless of course, they are REALLY important to you in which case you could give it a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to be like this but as a caucasian male your dreads will be viewed in a negative light. But if you were Afr. American your dreads would be viewed differently.
It's a fact of life. I would cut them if I were you.

I am afr. amer....I have a fro right now...I am sure my tight fro is less acceptable than dreads.

I would keep them and go to your interview completely blown out. totally iree. jah live

Reactions: 1 user
Ditch the dreadlocks. Get a nice hair cut. Dress conservatively.

It's all part of growing up :(

yeah, as non-conformist as i am, and as much as it angers me to say it, cut 'em.

i have my first interview on the 24th, and have a hair appt. on the 18th to do something more "professional" with my hair -- which is a mix of black, purple, and blue, in a messy indie cut. and i plan on taking out all visible piercings except for one in each ear (i'm a girl). working as a geologist, no one cares, and it sucks that there are these hoops to jump through, but think of it like having to jump through the mcat hoop.

once you're in, you can grow them back. the way i think of it, if i can put on the uniform and get in, after i'm in and set and they can't take it away, i show up with the blue hair and the metal, wearing something that doesn't hide the tattoo i'm planning for my ankle if i get in, and just say nothing about it. and if someone says something, pull out a "well, i can clearly 'pass' when i need to, but should this sort of thing really matter"

do what you need to in order to get in. then let hell break loose!

good luck!

edit: PS...being conservative/looking conservative in no way is required for "growing up." you never need to stop being who you are because your age is older...

It's time to grow up and cut the dreads. I'm sure the style was fun while it lasted. But from this point on you need to put forth a mature image to your interviewers......and more importantly.....your patients. Good luck with your application cycle.

is this a troll post?

Anyhow, the field is very conservative... so no dreadlocks.

I would err on the side of clean-cut. It's not quite the same, but I shaved my beard for my interviews because I didn't like the idea that any effect it would have on my success, however small, would likely be negative.

But after I got in I grew it back... you could do that with the dreads.

Oh, also, I once knew an (Afr. Amer.) doctor who had full-out dreadlocks. And he was at least 50.

nimotsu said:
is this a troll post?

Anyhow, the field is very conservative... so no dreadlocks.

it's only conservative because those that go into it conform to the tradition of it being conservative once they're there.

i say, camouflage as conservative, get in, then change the way it is. one person at a time.

there is nothing more liberal than caring about people...and it's hard to connect with a patient when you distance yourself from them in all sorts of subtle and not-so subtle ways.

remember that any field is only as conservative as the people in it allow it to be. so, get into it, then remake it...better.

I think it's cool that you have them. I'm sad that you'll probably have to end up cutting them :(

I went to a pretty decent number of interviews, and the fact that I was wearing a GRAY (not black) suit made me stand out from the crowd. That's how conservatively everyone dresses at interviews. Ideally, the adcom members should respect your individuality and not judge you for having dreads, but I doubt that they could prevent some stereotypical judgments from entering their minds.

Maybe once you get in you can grow them back, at least for MS1 and MS2 :thumbup:

noonday said:
once you're in, you can grow them back. the way i think of it, if i can put on the uniform and get in, after i'm in and set and they can't take it away, i show up with the blue hair and the metal, wearing something that doesn't hide the tattoo i'm planning for my ankle if i get in, and just say nothing about it. and if someone says something, pull out a "well, i can clearly 'pass' when i need to, but should this sort of thing really matter"

This is only true to a certain extent. I've known people who were asked to remove piercings and/or change their hair to look more professional while in med school. This is entirely reasonable from the schools' point of view, since the students are acting as representatives of the school while seeing patients. And even in the first two years there may be patient interaction. Some schools have "professionalism" in their honor codes and everything.

There is a fine line between what is accepted and what isn't, I think. Probably bright blue or pink or green hair wouldn't be, but a less-than-conservative haircut that's not shocking would be. Discreet tattoos are usually fine, too. And a nose stud or maybe one non-ear piercing is unlikely to be called out, but multiple piercings very well may be. And long hair in a male is certainly okay, but something like dreadlocks (as described above) might not be.

Of course, once you're a doctor you can do what you want, at least if you're in private practice. But wherever you work, if it's for an instutition or company there's bound to be some sort of dress code. This is true for all professions.

Members don't see this ad :)
CopperStripes said:
I have dreadlocks. I'm caucasian, and I've noticed people often make premature assumptions about me because of them. For example, that I smoke a lot of pot. I don't want them to adversely affect the outcome of my med school application. Should I get rid of them before I go to any interviews?

Thanks for the advice.

True story: I thought my interview cycle was over so I grew my hair and a beard. One final interview came in so I go back to clean cut. What do you know, my interviewer looked like a hippie and expressed to me that most med interviewees have no individual personality, are boring and look and dress the same.

But odds are that won't happen, so my advice is play the game: Cut'em. After you get in, grow them back if you wish to.

by the way imho, patients look for a lot more than maturity. it's more about your substance and how we treat patients, than a certain professional look.

noonday said:
edit: PS...being conservative/looking conservative in no way is required for "growing up." you never need to stop being who you are because your age is older...

Tell that to your patients who will feel uncomfortable trusting the care of their children or elderly parents to you. <-- Please don't get too defensive about this comment. By no means do I mean to suggest that I would judge you on your appearance, but the truth is there are those who absolutely will.

By the way, it's somewhat naive to think you can "disguise" yourself to escape the med school interview radar. Also,

noonday said:
my hair -- which is a mix of black, purple, and blue, in a messy indie cut. and i plan on taking out all visible piercings except for one in each ear (i'm a girl).

that's hot :love: :D

crazy_cavalier said:
Tell that to your patients who will feel uncomfortable trusting the care of their children or elderly parents to you. <-- Please don't get too defensive about this comment. By no means do I mean to suggest that I would judge you on your appearance, but the truth is there are those who absolutely will.

all depends on who you intend to primarily serve. in my non-job life, i work doing lay healthcare with the homeless, teen runaways, injection drug users, and sex workers. if i had a conservo-suit, etc., they would never trust me, no matter come to me for help nor be open and candid about what they really do. and i couldn't be as much help to them.

it's all who your patients are, i say. and since i hate kids an old people, and intend to do mostly non-profit work with injection drug users and sex workers, i don't see how turning conservative is a good thing. in fact, i can see how it would make me less effective. but i don't intend to have to argue that at an interview, hence disguising myself.

crazy_cavalier said:
By the way, it's somewhat naive to think you can "disguise" yourself to escape the med school interview radar.

not at all naive. it's a skill. in fact, i do it all the time quite effectively, being from a very conservative family, every year when i go home for the holidays i have to transform back into middle-america "acceptable." never had a problem yet in the 12 years since i moved out of the house before college...

noonday said:
all depends on who you intend to primarily serve. in my non-job life, i work doing lay healthcare with the homeless, teen runaways, injection drug users, and sex workers. if i had a conservo-suit, etc., they would never trust me, no matter come to me for help nor be open and candid about what they really do. and i couldn't be as much help to them.

it's all who your patients are, i say. and since i hate kids an old people, and intend to do mostly non-profit work with injection drug users and sex workers, i don't see how turning conservative is a good thing. in fact, i can see how it would make me less effective. but i don't intend to have to argue that at an interview, hence disguising myself.

You know what? I totally agree with the points you raised here. The patient demographic will respond better to a physician they can relate to. I guess somewhere in my mind I've always wanted to be a pediatrician so I think of everything in terms of that.

By the way, I respect the line of health care you plan to enter. I saw a documentary on the rising epidemic of sexually transmitted infections in parts of Russia and the Ukraine. It's a shame society turns its back on certain groups of people, and they're left with so little to address their health needs :(

I don't think you should cut them. Of course don't go into the interview having them flying around. Your dreadlocks are just part of your personality and I don't think you should hide it. I think you should just work on making it presentable. If I were you, I would pull it back nicely (into a pony tail) and maybe clean it a few days before (I know you have to be careful when you wash it).

Your hair shouldn't keep you out of medical school. If you are a good applicant, that is, you are a well rounded, intelligent and well behaved fellow, I bet that your dreadlock will be not be the obstacle in your path. The man who interviewed me at my Northwestern interview had dreadlocks and he is a well respected physician.

To some of the other posts: There is nothing grown up about cutting your dread locks. Removing your hair will not suddenly make you a different person. As a**hole is still an A**hole regardless of the kind of hair he is wearing.

noonday said:
it's only conservative because those that go into it conform to the tradition of it being conservative once they're there.

i say, camouflage as conservative, get in, then change the way it is. one person at a time.

there is nothing more liberal than caring about people...and it's hard to connect with a patient when you distance yourself from them in all sorts of subtle and not-so subtle ways.

remember that any field is only as conservative as the people in it allow it to be. so, get into it, then remake it...better.

LOL, are we talking about a hair cut or trying to become a supreme court justice?

SlippingSloth said:
LOL, are we talking about a hair cut or trying to become a supreme court justice?

:laugh:

SlippingSloth said:
:rolleyes:

yes, well, i suppose that was a bit dramatic. i get really worked up about people who care about the superficial.

noonday said:
:rolleyes:

yes, well, i suppose that was a bit dramatic. i get really worked up about people who care about the superficial.

Everybody cares about the superficial. I'm serious. The only thing that differs is to what degree.

Personally, I think it would be great if you could get away with looking however you wanted (well, as long as you were clean :p). But that's just not reality. And like I said above, I do know people who have been asked to take off piercings when in med school.

noonday said:
intend to do mostly non-profit work with injection drug users and sex workers, i don't see how turning conservative is a good thing. in fact, i can see how it would make me less effective. but i don't intend to have to argue that at an interview, hence disguising myself.

off-topic a bit, but I have always been curious about 'harm reduction' practices. it is one thing to give addicts clean needles (for example), but would you at the same time encourage these people to reduce their drug use / dangerous/high-risk behaviors? (rehab and so on). I mean, horrible consequences exist for a reason, so is it really effective to keep putting band-aids on people's problems and feed their vicious cycle? I'm genuinely curious, since I have little first-hand experience with this segment of the population.

anon-y-mouse said:
off-topic a bit, but I have always been curious about 'harm reduction' practices. it is one thing to give addicts clean needles (for example), but would you at the same time encourage these people to reduce their drug use / dangerous/high-risk behaviors? (rehab and so on). I mean, horrible consequences exist for a reason, so is it really effective to keep putting band-aids on people's problems and feed their vicious cycle? I'm genuinely curious, since I have little first-hand experience with this segment of the population.

aahhh, Harm Reduction...HR is so dear to my heart....

first, it's important to note that not all users are addicts. that there are a lot of people who manage all sorts of drug use in ways that do not otherwise impact their lives. they are in control, not the drug, and it's just like someone who drinks socially.

and also that harm reduction applies to all sorts of things, from substance use to managing an abusive relationship to minimizing risk in sexual relationships to people who exercize too much for their own good.

the basis of HR is the acceptance of everyone involved that people don't change unless they want to, and even if they want to, until they are ready to change. that the motive force has to come from the individual, not any external. it is the anti-intervention. it's based on prochaska's "stages of behavior change," which i reccommend highly. basically, people are at some stage in the cycle (with relapse as a natural and accepted part of it) and all a practicioner can do is to try to plant a seed of thought that might help the person move to the next step. sometimes that is giving them referrals to rehab, if that's where they are and what they want (and not just what they think you want them to want), and sometimes that's asking open ended, non-judging questions about what they are doing, because just articulating it out loud without the need for the inherent defensiveness that comes from discussing "risky" behavior with someone who you know thinks it's bad can help speople to start to see their self-destruction, and that's the first step. or there's the person who doesn't really know all the risks, and you teach them about it.

in addition, when it comes to disease/health risk, there's the "action" component, where in one helps people to find safer ways to keep doing the behavior, so that while the behavior is the same, the risk of health effects is less. with injection drug use, that's clean needles and supplies, vein care education, overdose prevention education, etc. with sex that's alternate practices, barrier use, negotiation strategies, etc.

it's really empowering for the client, and a lot of these behaviors develop because people feel powerless and/or lack other coping strategies. just becasue i don't suggest cutting down or rehab to every client doesn't mean that i'm not trying to help them be healthy. i'm just recognizing their own rights and power to make their own decisions, and often the act of that can really help them help themselves.

i reccommend prochaska.

infiniti said:
If I were you, I would pull it back nicely (into a pony tail) and maybe clean it a few days before (I know you have to be careful when you wash it).

That's actually a misconception. My dreads were all natural (no nasty wax or anything holding them together) and I washed them 3 or 4 times each week. Washing them actually helped to tighten the knots. Conditioners are death to dreads, but shampooing is fine. You can have very clean, neat dreads.

That being said, as a white girl who had dreads for a couple of years, I don't think you'll be very successful getting into med school with them. It's not just what the interviewers will think (and people do judge you for having dreads), but I think a lot of patients won't want you to treat them because you look like ones of those "damn hippies" and they will assume that you are constantly stoned. If you don't cut them, absolutely make them as neat as possible (pull the loose pieces through to tighten them up and make them look nice and rub the dreads in little circles against your head to tighten the new growth) and pull them back. Unfortunately it boils down to this- why would they take a white boy with dreads, who might offend a lot of their patients when they could take anyone else? If you are willing to risk not getting accepted for it, by all means keep them, but it could come back to be a problem later in med school when you are working with patients everyday. I know it sucks and if you would feel like you are compromising who you are by cutting them, then don't. But if it's just losing a cool hairstyle, get rid of them so you can follow your dream.

As far as harm reduction goes, there is a decision being made by a nursing association in Britain to give "cutters" clean, disinfected blades. The politicos will be coming out of the woodwork when this becomes policy I am sure. TO my recollection its suppossed to go into practice in the not to distant future.
Tough sell no matter what, (privacy issues aside for the moment) can you imagine telling some 20 year old's parents you are giving him instruments to cut himself because he would do it anyway?

I really think they're gonna hurt you, whether anybody on an adcom will admit it or not.

A lot of the judgement is impressions, they want someone that looks professional, keep in mind, some of the people judging you are old, ultra-conservative docs who you will never meet. You won't always get the chance to make your case, you won't always get the chance to show your personality...

I wouldn't do anything to shoot yourself down early.

Darth Asclepius, My statement wasn't a misconception. I was just giving advice from my own experience (being a black guy). Since you are a white, it is suffice to say your dreadlocks are very different from, say, that of a black guy.

That being said, your advice (the one about maintaining your dreads) is probably more useful than mine (assuming he is a white guy with straight hair).

After thinking about if for a while, I think the OP should cut his hair. The risks of keeping it seems far greater than the benefits (given your situation).

noonday said:

Uhhh...I don't know if that will fly too well for third and fourth year clinical rotations.

SlippingSloth said:
As far as harm reduction goes, there is a decision being made by a nursing association in Britain to give "cutters" clean, disinfected blades. The politicos will be coming out of the woodwork when this becomes policy I am sure. TO my recollection its suppossed to go into practice in the not to distant future.
Tough sell no matter what, (privacy issues aside for the moment) can you imagine telling some 20 year old's parents you are giving him instruments to cut himself because he would do it anyway?

this is a fantastic idea. not cutting, but clean blades.

first, some 20 year old is an adult and has the right to make decisions for themself.

second. someone who is going to cut is going to cut. as a healthcare worker, that's not our choice to make, and saying "don't do that" or denying that it's happening can only increase the guilt and shame, which can impede growth away from the practice towards more healthy coping skills (cutting is, after all, a coping mechanism). if people in healthcare are actually interested in improving health, sometimes the best result isn't in our control (here, not cutting). but what we CAN do is help people who will do it anyway be safer about it. clean blades, instructions as to what parts of the body are less dangerous, how to clean the area properly to avoid bacterial infection, wound after-care, etc. just imagine...the empowerment to care for themselves while still doing the behavior is such a huge stepping stone to caring enough to find other was to cope than the behavior...

wow. go UK nurses!

Sorry man, but I'm gonna have to go with the majority and say cut 'em off. While, I think there are some interviewers that would appreciate your individuality and your hairstyle, I'd dare say that the majority would not.

OP, make sure you lay off the patchouli, too.

desiredusername said:
OP, make sure you lay off the patchouli, too.

I love patchouli. Sandalwood fragance, however, has been ruined for me by hippies who don't wear anti-perspirant. Whenever I smell sandalwood, I always detect a hint of BO by association. sigh...

Edit: I felt this post sounded more judgemental than I meant it, so I deleted it.

CopperStripes said:

Thanks for the advice.
Most school websites tell you flat out they are looking for people who are mature, professional, serious....etc.

I used to have an eyebrow ring, etc... I lost it all when I came to college because I'd like my professors to take me seriously. Adcoms all the more. There's probably 200 other premeds competing for that one seat you want.
Loose the dreads. And good luck on your interview.

Aww...I was secretly hoping that all of you would say, "Keep them for sure! They're part of who you are!" But, alas, no. I shall strongly consider cutting them off.

I didn't specify before, though, that I'm a female. I can put them up into a bun; it actually looks semi-conservative. I guess if I keep them I'll be a tad bit better off then a caucasian male with dreads...it wouldn't really slide for a man to wear them in a bun.

Thanks for the advice, all.

I had 12 piercings in my ears (Right: rook, snug, 3x lobe. Left: Daith, 3x cartilage, 3x lobe) and except for all of the ones I did myself (read: lobes & cartilage) they were all done at Industrial Strength in Berkeley. Was pretty proud of them, I gotta say, but I took them out about 1 month before my interviews. I'm thinking that once may rolls around again I'll go balls out and get a lip ring . . . or at least revive my daith piercing. *sniffle* I miss that thing.

CopperStripes said:
Aww...I was secretly hoping that all of you would say, "Keep them for sure! They're part of who you are!" But, alas, no. I shall strongly consider cutting them off.

I didn't specify before, though, that I'm a female. I can put them up into a bun; it actually looks semi-conservative. I guess if I keep them I'll be a tad bit better off then a caucasian male with dreads...it wouldn't really slide for a man to wear them in a bun.

Thanks for the advice, all.

I think that if you're a female, you should be able to get away with a neat bun, I've seen other girls do it, it does look conservative. It would probably be even worst if you cut them and ended up with an almost "shaved" head at interviews as it is difficult to "undo" dreadlocks...

You would most likely be coined "that guy with the dreadlocks". Med schools are conservative. They might not think you are a hippy but will probably wonder why you are making a fashion statement. I would cut your hair. For the same reasons that I would shave and try to be in my top physical shape too.

The cool thing about hair is it always grows back. When you do get in, it might be fun to be that med student with dreadlocks. This might not go over well during your clinical years though.

noonday said:
this is a fantastic idea. not cutting, but clean blades.

first, some 20 year old is an adult and has the right to make decisions for themself.

second. someone who is going to cut is going to cut. as a healthcare worker, that's not our choice to make, and saying "don't do that" or denying that it's happening can only increase the guilt and shame, which can impede growth away from the practice towards more healthy coping skills (cutting is, after all, a coping mechanism). if people in healthcare are actually interested in improving health, sometimes the best result isn't in our control (here, not cutting). but what we CAN do is help people who will do it anyway be safer about it. clean blades, instructions as to what parts of the body are less dangerous, how to clean the area properly to avoid bacterial infection, wound after-care, etc. just imagine...the empowerment to care for themselves while still doing the behavior is such a huge stepping stone to caring enough to find other was to cope than the behavior...

wow. go UK nurses!

I agree, much like the abstinence argument with regards to preventing 16yr olds having sex, saying people will stop cutting because they are told not to, will not work. The analogy I am proposing is that the blades for cutters is similar to the needles for drug addicts or perhaps to safe sex education.

The point I was trying to make earlier was what if you were trying to tell the parents of a cutter. I could imagine the cutter will be greatful for the care and attention. The parents or family would probably not. Also, there are large numbers of people who believe that no government funding should go to any of the above education projects. This is what I meant by a tough sell. The uninformed or terrified will perhaps wrongly believe you are aiding in the psychological manifestation of cutting.

I would decide based on your competiveness as a candidate (which should correlate to how many interviews you have lined up). I have a guy friend with long hair, and he didn't have trouble getting into medical school. This was a smaller school though, so it might not have been as picky as some other more prestigious schools, and he had great credentials. If you are fairly competitive and have a lot of interviews I would go to one with the dreadlocks and see how it goes. But since it is the second half of interview season, you might want to play it safe. I had most of my interviews scheduled in October-December, so I wasn't too worried since I figured if I screwed one up, I'd have more chances. (Or I hoped I would, at least).

Or you could ask someone you shadowed, or a family physician, for their opinion. Or your school advisor if you have one. I'm sure he/she has dealt with questions like this from other applicants.

I don't really agree with it. But the norm is conformity for anybody in a professional position. Even some pro athletes (males) are required to cut their hair short for certain teams. As mentioned before, especially if you go to a school with a lot of patient interaction, a professional look is desired/required. The school may ask you to cut it/change it. I hate to say it but the dreadlocks may be a thing of the past for you my friend. Regarding the talk of not changing it, I wouldn't risk my future to make a point.

I did it. I cut off my dreadlocks. Here are the before and after pictures.

I'm happy with the results. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Attachments

• hair.JPG
    hair.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 106
you could just be a surgeon and wear a buffont cap at all times covering your hair and have dreads forever!

Just be aware that many interviewers will use the "mother" test during an interview. Mentally, they'll ask themselves, "Would I want this person to take care of my sick mother?"

I know what my answer would be.

Uh, guys, I don't need your opinions anymore. I cut them off. They're gone. That's why I posted the pictures...

CopperStripes said:
Uh, guys, I don't need your opinions anymore. I cut them off. They're gone. That's why I posted the pictures...

You look fantastic! Gutsy thing to do but the results are great. :thumbup: :thumbup:

CopperStripes said:

Thanks for the advice.

OOPS nice going. you look great.

Hey CopperStripes. I am a female, caucasian. I had dreadlocks for 9 years (3 sets of them) until last July when I cut them. I was applying for med-schools then. I say do what you feel is right for you. If your hair can be neat enough and not look outrageous atop a suit, then keep them if you feel like it.

I cut them and do not regret it though. I think that as a physician in a hospital, our job is to make the patient feel comfortable and even though it may be silly, there is the off-chance that dreadlocks might jar the patient.

Grow 'em back when your patients trust you already! Or be a doctor in Humboldt.
the best of luck!