dream job in Denver...

Started by cjw0918
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cjw0918

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Great. My husband got offered his dream job today in Denver in the same office as his best friend. He has been wanting to live there for the past 4 years, and he turned down a job there previously to stay with me in the Midwest while I'm in med school. He's in the Air Force, so it's not like he can look for jobs in Denver all the time.
I've ranked Colorado #1 but the only reponse I got from the PD was, "You're in our upper group. Keep in touch even if you don't match with us..." My #2 program is in a place where he will have to get out of the AF and try to get a civilian job. I wish he didn't get the Denver job. I'm going to feel like s*** if I don't match there. I know he wants it so badly, and I want to make him happy. I'm afraid he'll resent me if we don't go there and he has another crappy job. Anyone else in this situation?
 
cjw0918 said:
Great. My husband got offered his dream job today in Denver in the same office as his best friend. He has been wanting to live there for the past 4 years, and he turned down a job there previously to stay with me in the Midwest while I'm in med school. He's in the Air Force, so it's not like he can look for jobs in Denver all the time.
I've ranked Colorado #1 but the only reponse I got from the PD was, "You're in our upper group. Keep in touch even if you don't match with us..." My #2 program is in a place where he will have to get out of the AF and try to get a civilian job. I wish he didn't get the Denver job. I'm going to feel like s*** if I don't match there. I know he wants it so badly, and I want to make him happy. I'm afraid he'll resent me if we don't go there and he has another crappy job. Anyone else in this situation?


Sorry, that sucks. You still have a good shot at matching there, but I imagine that the waiting will be terrible. Your husband shouldn't resent you if you make a sincere attempt to match in Denver. It's not like your saying,"Screw you, i'm going to Iowa!"
 
Well, since you ranked Colorado #1 there's really no more you can do. Forcing people into situations like that thorugh a semi-random selection process is awful, but unfortunately, there's no easy solution. However, your husband's Denver-job isn't hardly at fault. Again, you ranked CO #1, and what if you'd match at some faraway place from Denver and your current location? Wouldn't the problem be the same?

It seems that you at least has a shot at your #1 choice, which will (hopefully) make you both happy. If not - well, you can't really cross that river until you come to it. Since it's more or less out of your hands now, there's really nothing to do but wait and hope for the best.