Dream Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texanpsychdoc

Clinical Psychologist & Assistant Professor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I was just curious to see if folks would be interested in sharing what their dream job is.

I will go first.....I don't have one LOL. I honestly don't know what I am doing professionally in my life, I feel like I am just going with the flow for now. I used to think I would be some fancy double-boarded neuropsychologist working at an esteemed AMC...but that will likely not happen, and frankly, not sure if I'd want that anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Why would you need double boarding?

Honestly, I'm kind of doing my dream job right now. Making really good money not even working full-time. I get paid to argue, which I absolutely love. I do miss research a little bit. But just hard to fit in a meaningful way at the moment.

So...I was just curious to see if folks would be interested in sharing what their dream job is.

I will go first.....I don't have one LOL. I honestly don't know what I am doing professionally in my life, I feel like I am just going with the flow for now. I used to think I would be some fancy double-boarded neuropsychologist working at an esteemed AMC...but that will likely not happen, and frankly, not sure if I'd want that anymore.
Golf Pro (not touring)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you need double boarding?

Honestly, I'm kind of doing my dream job right now. Making really good money not even working full-time. I get paid to argue, which I absolutely love. I do miss research a little bit. But just hard to fit in a meaningful way at the moment.

Eh...it was kind of so that I could see if I could do it. Demonstrate above-average competencies in neuro and rehab. I will go for ABPP in clinical come next August. If I can engage in more forensic work over the next 4.5 years, and do more courses with AAFP/Palo Alto, then I'd like to go for ABPP in forensics too. My spouse is going for double boarding themselves (they are a different healthcare professional).

Reactions: 1 user
Eh...it was kind of so that I could see if I could do it. Demonstrate above-average competencies in neuro and rehab. I will go for ABPP in clinical come next August. If I can engage in more forensic work over the next 4.5 years, and do more courses with AAFP/Palo Alto, then I'd like to go for ABPP in forensics too. My spouse is going for double boarding themselves (they are a different healthcare professional).

As far as the forensics, probably depends on what niche you want within the forensic realm. My colleagues are mostly personal injury or govt contract work and almost all are ABPP-CN. I only know a couple people boarded in forensics. I'm sure it's very useful in certain forensic areas, just not this one as much.

Reactions: 1 users
Is your spouse a physician?

As far as the forensics, probably depends on what niche you want within the forensic realm. My colleagues are mostly personal injury or govt contract work and almost all are ABPP-CN. I only know a couple people boarded in forensics. I'm sure it's very useful in certain forensic areas, just not this one as much.

I see myself staying mostly in civil forensic work, which is what I've been doing here in Ohio. I was fortunate to get my first gig with a group here where both psychologists are ABPP in forensics, and one has been on the ABFP board, and currently serves on a variety of committees with OPA and our state board. One thing they mentioned to me, was their (ABFP) data demonstrated most who go on to achieve ABFP did not complete a post-doc in forensics, but rather, learned it "on the job," combined with receiving consultation, and doing CEUs. That's the current method I've been using.

Last edited:
Hmm, were we talking about dream job in general, or within the field? Non-field related, dream job would be a professional poker player pre year 2000.
Either is fine. For me, I kind of already did my dream job when I was a pro musician before I switched careers.

Hmm, were we talking about dream job in general, or within the field? Non-field related, dream job would be a professional poker player pre year 2000.

I would enjoy that as well. Dream job overall? I would have loved to get into behavioral economics or big data research at a dating app or finance company (user behavior in the stock market is fascinating; look at Meme stocks). Those jobs/educational pathways were not nearly as well developed when we were coming up as they are now.

Last edited:

Clinically, I was one track for one of my dream jobs and decided I hated it, which as it turned out was somewhat fortuitous as the industry was decimated during COVID. Now, it boils down to run my own business and be able to carve out time for family and hobbies.

I would enjoy that as well. Dream job overall? I would have loved to get into behavioral economics of big data research at a dating app or finance company (user behavior in the stock market is fascinating; look at Meme stocks). Those jobs/educational pathways were not nearly as well developed when we were coming up as they are now.

It's got to be pre-2000, though. All the online poker kids ruined the vibe.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Clinically, I was one track for one of my dream jobs and decided I hated it, which as it turned out was somewhat fortuitous as the industry was decimated during COVID. Now, it boils down to run my own business and be able to carve out time for family and hobbies.

Sorry to hear that it didn't pan out the way you hoped. I am with ya on the whole owning a business. I am in the process of dissolving my current LLC in Ohio and starting a new PLLC in Texas that will focus exclusively on forensic work. Having that side project/gig I think provides me a "professional outlet" for the stuff I can't do at the VA.

It's got to be pre-2000, though. All the online poker kids ruined the vibe.

I used to make good money during summers back in the heyday playing small tournaments and friendly games.

Sorry to hear that it didn't pan out the way you hoped. I am with ya on the whole owning a business. I am in the process of dissolving my current LLC in Ohio and starting a new PLLC in Texas that will focus exclusively on forensic work. Having that side project/gig I think provides me a "professional outlet" for the stuff I can't do at the VA.

Nothing to be sorry about, you live and you learn. I never thought about things like the travel required, evening hours you need to work, and toll it takes on family until I was starting a family. Your priorities change as you get older.

My dream job is to be a Xanax and Chardonnay housewife.

Reactions: 11 users
I used to make good money during summers back in the heyday playing small tournaments and friendly games.

I used to make good money as a kid taking money from navy dudes on base. They weren't very good sober, and they were absolutely terrible when they were piss drunk.

• Haha
I used to make good money as a kid taking money from navy dudes on base. They weren't very good sober, and they were absolutely terrible when they were piss drunk.

Drunk folks were the best. Just give me your money now. I am not drunk and know the math.

I want to be in private practice in the future. I plan to stay where I am (I’m in an AMC) for now. I may take a supervisor position I was offered since it still allows for some clinical time, but a lot of it is program development and supervising (hence the name), both of which I like. I get bored doing the same thing all the time. I’m also working on board certification and currently in the “waiting” stage. It’s something I’ve wanted since probably my second year of grad school.

Psych related....probably something similar to what I'm doing where I run my own business, but have staff in place for everything to run w/o me. If I could just do legal work and live abroad, while I have passive income from my practice...pretty solid.

Non-psych...I'd want to run an organization similar to the Sante Fe Institute, where experts from across industries and disciplines can come together and collaborate. I think it'd be a pretty awesome to target small and big problems from within this setup, so there can be spontaneous collaborations and also targeted ones. The goal isn't to become rich, instead it is to give back through philanthropy and innovation, while also sustaining the org well past my lifetime.

I did the opposite, I'd play online poker and sports bet offshore and UK. Back when the WSOP was getting popular, everyone and their mom would try to play, so it was easy money playing 3/6, 4/8 tables. No need to play w the big fish when I could consistently win at smaller limit tables with less effort.

I also figured out that I could play in-person decently, but there was too much local competition for it to be worthwhile. I could play 2-3 tables online and not have to deal w the wannabe Phils (Hellmuth, Ivey, etc) or wait for a table.

I'd play on UK & Eastern Europe time, so I'd get all of the drunk guys who would leave the bars and jump online when they got home. It almost wasn't fair....but why set myself up for a fair table?! 😆

• Haha
I did the opposite, I'd play online poker and sports bet offshore and UK. Back when the WSOP was getting popular, everyone and their mom would try to play, so it was easy money playing 3/6, 4/8 tables. No need to play w the big fish when I could consistently win at smaller limit tables with less effort.

I also figured out that I could play in-person decently, but there was too much local competition for it to be worthwhile. I could play 2-3 tables online and not have to deal w the wannabe Phils (Hellmuth, Ivey, etc) or wait for a table.

But, did you ever make a move on Johnny Chan while playing at the Taj? :cool:

Clearly we need an SDN poker game.

My dream job is owning my own residential treatment program. I don’t even have a non-psychologist dream job. Kind of funny that I might be a year away from my dream. It really has been my dream for about fifteen years. When I was 25 my dream was to own my own company and I just did that this yea. It only took me about 30 years. Only difference was back then it was a warehousing and distribution company. When I was really dreaming big back then, it was space trucking. Seriously, I dreamt of developing a commercial space transportation enterprise. I guess I scaled back a bit with the dream or just got sidetracked with the whole interest in neuroscience, cognitive processes, and human behavior thing.

Non psych dream job would be fly fishing guide. Psych dream job would be a version of my current positions where I could do assessments but not have to write reports and teach without having to grade assignments.

When I stop practicing, I’m going to be a mixologist in my own small, craft cocktail bar or open a mid-century style diner. Love the vibe of both places. Can give free therapy, too.😉

Or, I currently have part ownership in a creperia/gelateria in Sicily. May just head there and help run the place.

Decisions…

Last edited:
  • Haha
Sometimes I think my dream job would be to be a big shot with lots of publications working as a professor. Then I come to my senses and realize working as my own boss in pp is way more laid back and has a much better work-life balance! So in good news, I’m living the dream. 😀

Non-psych job….hmmmm…maybe a hair stylist at a super high end place where I charge a fortune. 😂

Like how most fast-food places hire great photographers to showcase their menu items, only to find out it's 1/2 the size, and they spent more time dressing up the quarter pounder with cheese to be picture-perfect only to be let down once you open the wrapper/box.
Maybe owning one of those food illusion restaurants

Interesting. While visually appealing, call me old fashioned. I like my food to look like what it tastes like.

I don't know. There are some awesome things that can be done with molecular gastronomy. Wylie Dufresne is one of my favorite chef personalities and I am sad I never had the chance to eat at wd-50 before it closed.

Dream job outside the field? Astronaut for sure. If they need a Psychologist in space, I'll be the first to sign up.

As for in-field dream? Tenured Professor or own an Influential Group Practice with enough clout to get some book deal. Maybe appear on some daytime news interviews for fun. Then end up making some nonprofit org called "Guy's House" that just provides basic essentials, drop-in crisis management, etc. Hopefully, work 3 days a week and keep busy for 4.

Honestly, if I get 2 of those, I'll be satisfied

At the moment, I'd same I'm pretty close to my "dream" job. I could definitely see myself shifting more toward practice ownership than direct practice in a decade or so, though. If I weren't in psychology, I have no clue what I'd be doing. I'd considered going into writing or editing, but that was more of a brief pipe dream than a fleshed-out career goal. I was also pretty into astronomy in middle and high school, but unfortunately, I realized a while ago that I don't have the math/physics brain for that.

My wife would love to own a doggy daycare. She'd probably run it for free just to play with dogs all day. I can respect that.

Edit: just saw the above post about being an astronaut. +1. First psychologists on Mars? Yup.

At the moment, I'd same I'm pretty close to my "dream" job. I could definitely see myself shifting more toward practice ownership than direct practice in a decade or so, though. If I weren't in psychology, I have no clue what I'd be doing. I'd considered going into writing or editing, but that was more of a brief pipe dream than a fleshed-out career goal. I was also pretty into astronomy in middle and high school, but unfortunately, I realized a while ago that I don't have the math/physics brain for that.

My wife would love to own a doggy daycare. She'd probably run it for free just to play with dogs all day. I can respect that.

Edit: just saw the above post about being an astronaut. +1. First psychologists on Mars? Yup.
What’s the hold up on you switching to practice ownership? Are there major logistical hurdles or is it just a matter of personal preference?

What’s the hold up on you switching to practice ownership? Are there major logistical hurdles or is it just a matter of personal preference?
I technically own already, but it's just me. Ultimately, I'll hopefully make the shift to hiring, just have a few other factors I need to get setup first.

My dream job (psych related) would be group private practice, with some consulting gigs on the side. I got burned out doing consulting full-time, but would love to do it part time and pick and choose projects. I'm working towards making this dream a reality in the next few years or so.

Non-psych related - I am going to say astronaut as well. Since I know the chances for that are crazy low, I would be satisfied with being a commercial pilot. Funnily enough, I did prepare for a short time for selection tests for that path, but realized that the debt would be too much, the lifestyle too unstable, and I also probably wouldn't be able to hold a first class medical for long enough to make it worthwhile.
Maybe in the next life :)

My dream job would be to work at a nursing home that's insanely well-funded, was free of the particularly psychosocially destructive rules that seem to be the case at CLCs at the VA right now as far as COVID goes, and had lots of interesting residents to work on.

Lots of opportunities to write / engage in work-relevant scholarly pursuits and provide in-services & consultation to nursing staff, a well-stocked assessment library, and an administration that has bandwidth (and, of course, willingness) to partner with psychology on behavior management planning & education of staff.

Basically a fantasy / idealized version of what I do now.

I have to say, I am somewhat surprised by some of the responses here. I suppose its a good thing....but I have to wonder.

I will/would ALWAYS be academically interested in some facets of Psychology/Clinical Science and psychopathology. But really? Somewhat few other actual other careers totally? Seems hard for me to believe?

I can handle stress pretty well, I guess, but I can NOT imagine being a touring Golf Pro playing a game in which my whole livelihood depended on it. I would, however, love to spend my time playing golf, planning golf, overseeing a course and its events, and teaching golf to all ages at most any suburban country club in the US. Personally, we belong to a very not luxurious but very satisfying golf and swim country club here, and I think our golf shop's pro job sounds like the freaking cats pajamas.....mostly anyways.

Last edited:
I have to say, I am somewhat surprised by some of the responses here. I suppose its a good thing....but I have to wonder.

I will/would ALWAYS be academically interested in some facets of Psychology/Clinical Science and psychopathology. But really? Somewhat few other actual other careers totally? Seems hard for me to believe?

I can handle stress pretty well, I guess, but I can NOT imagine being a touring Golf Pro playing a game in which my whole livelihood depended on it. I would, however, love to spend my time playing golf, planning golf, overseeing a course and its events, and teaching golf to all ages at most any suburban country club in the US. Personally, we belong to a very not luxurious but very satisfying golf and swim country club here, and I think our golf shop's pro job sounds like the freaking cats pajamas.....mostly anyways.
In the perfect world, you could become a golf-blogger/tuber. Just play golf for fun, film it, and make it interesting. Rake in that ad money. Be invited to courses and events and all that jazz.

I would love to consult with NASA and do repeated neuropsych assessments with astronauts, particularly after long bouts in the ISS, or maybe eventually after they spend a bit of time on the moon or Mars.

I would love to consult with NASA and do repeated neuropsych assessments with astronauts, particularly after long bouts in the ISS, or maybe eventually after they spend a bit of time on the moon or Mars.

I actually applied to a clinical psychologist position with NASA earlier this year, but I was passed over. In similar news, I had applied for and interviewed at Wright Patterson Air Force Base for a psychologist role where I would have been responsible for doing a variety of assessments of pilot applicants, their special operations division, and folks in the command structure to compile profiles and help optimize their applicant pool as well as existing trainees. It was a two-hour interview that was followed by an invitation for another interview. But alas, I was not selected.

Dream job: guitarist/song-writer for a moderately popular college town band with a semi-national following.
Reality: board certified forensic psychologist who gets cold called for work on the regular while also still playing guitar on the weekends and volunteering at dog shelters.