PashaJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was thinking of buying a dremel kit to do my practicing at home as opposed to going to the simulated lab and I wanted to bounce the idea off of you guys. What do you think? Anyone ever thought of doing it? My friend was saying that I might not be able to get the same torque.

xc1999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Status
Dentist
PashaJ said:
I was thinking of buying a dremel kit to do my practicing at home as opposed to going to the simulated lab and I wanted to bounce the idea off of you guys. What do you think? Anyone ever thought of doing it? My friend was saying that I might not be able to get the same torque.
I've heard that they're actually quite useful, especially in the clinic when you may not even have a dremel handpiece (but instead a nosecone piece that attached to your lowspeed, which from what i've heard, isn't a good idea to constantly use cause it wears the parts down pretty quickly). it's also a good idea to get one in case you want to do your work at home; my roommate has one in fact when she makes complete and rpd's for her patients. If you're gonna get one, I would recommend getting a battery powered one. the only thing I do not like about the dremel kits (at least the ones I've seen) is that they are bigger than the dremels that are used in preclinic, so your grip isn't quite the same. also, make sure to bring your acrylic burs with you when you shop so that you know your burs can fit in that particular dremel.

hope this helps!

c132

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
I LOVE MY DREMEL I use it for almost all my lab cases. We have to check out a sterile handpiece every time we want to do lab work, and I just use my dremel. All my acrylic burs work well on it and it does a great job. I think I will have a dremel instead of a lab handpiece in my office. Much cheaper and you can do everything with it....

HeatingHomer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2007
Status
Dentist
Any updates on this topic? I need something portable for adjusting acrylic on appliances

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
I LOVE MY DREMEL I use it for almost all my lab cases. We have to check out a sterile handpiece every time we want to do lab work, and I just use my dremel. All my acrylic burs work well on it and it does a great job. I think I will have a dremel instead of a lab handpiece in my office. Much cheaper and you can do everything with it....
After 11 years, the dremel is due for a sterilization cycle.

Last edited:

HeatingHomer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2007
Status
Dentist
What size collet would I need for standard nose-cone burs?