Dress code at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShawnOne

DDS over DMD
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do students dress at your school?

In class/library?
In the pre-clinical labs?
In the clinic?

Members don't see this ad.

Outside the sim lab and clinic the dress code is technically business casual but it is really whatever you can get away with. There is the occasional person who wears jeans but most stay away from them. Most people (me included) just wear scrubs everyday.

In sim lab and the clinic scrubs and our white coat is mandatory. If everyone has their bunson burner/Hanau torch on and it is hot then the white coat is no longer mandatory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Turnpike
First 2 years at Tufts are pretty casual - no shorts/hats. Thanks goodness. :D

Turnpike,

are jeans/t-shirt acceptable?

We have a sliding dress code depending on the clinic. Except noone ever wears scrubs anywhere, they think that looks sloppy. Unless you're in your surgery rotation, then it's allowed.

Sim Clinic: If you're with the operative faculty, whatever you want to wear. If you're with Prosth, you have to wear slacks, collared shirts or the equivalent for women.

Live Patients: Shirt and Tie for guys, equivalent for women.

Lecture: Whatever you darn well please.

In our sim-lab you can where whatever you want. Most people wear shorts, flip-flops and t-shirts.

In our daily lectures you can wear whatever you want (see above).

Dresscode for the clinics has not yet been determined, but I don't see any way that it won't be scrubs.

ShawnOne,
Unlike medical and dental students, most law students remain delusional about being emphathetic champions of the down and out right up to the moment that they are ready to graduate and start interviewing for jobs with the law firms. Then the professional attire finally comes out. Call it delayed reality. The medical and dental students have already gone through that transition when interviewing just to get into their respective professional schools.

At NOVA we wear scrubs day in and day out. Eash dental class is assigned a color and my D1 class was assigned hunter green for all 4 years. I have mixed feelings about it but at least I don't have to think about what I'm going to wear to class each day.

It's also easier to spot the dental students-we are the people sitting together in the lunch room or walking down the halls with the same colored scrubs.

cgt3477,

Yah-E told us about the color-coding a while back. Sounds like a cool idea. I think Case does the same thing.

Do you get tired of wearing the same color each day?

There is no dress code at harvard except in the clinic and patient doctor classes. I usally wear shorts & teeshirts, but it is starting to get a little cool.

Same thing at Penn, anything we want except for clinic where it is professional attire or scrubs, our choice!

ItsGavinC- Yeah it can be a little tiring after awhile. But since I get so little sleep nowadays (we're in the middle of midterms) it's one less thing to have to think about in the morning.

Turnpike-We still have the personalized white coats...but most people in my class (like me) stop wearing them. It's one less thing to carry around. The faculty has been pretty understanding since it's been pretty hot down here.
d1s hunter green
d2s are navy blue
d3s baby blue
d4s sea green

=)