1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

dress code for path?

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by DocGul, Apr 9, 2007.

1. DocGul

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    My residency will start this summer, any comment on dress code for path residency? is it scrub all the time while grossing? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do a search as this was previously discussed. I wore scrubs when on frozens/grossing. Other than that, standard attire for signout/non-grossing days (nice pants and shirt w/o tie).

4. CameronFrye

CameronFrye Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It depends on where you are at.

5. FrozenBob

FrozenBob TK421

Fellow [Any Field]
    almost everyday of an AP rotation, scrubs are appropriate. even on your sign-out days, scrubs can still be worn because you never know if you need to fill-in in the gross room, help with frozens, etc. one guy in our program even wore scrubs during his entire chemistry rotations (which he got some puzzled looks). i think i didn't wear scrubs for neuropath because you were rarely in the gross room. for the AP or CP rotations, ties should be worn if you have any chance of patient contact (FNA, bone marrow, etc).

6. djmd

djmd an Antediluvian
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The last part of that varies wildly by program. I know some programs where that is true, and others where there is a definite expectation of dress on signout days.

If you don't remember from your interview, don't worry. You will figure it out after the first week or so.

7. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Seems like here that more people wear scrubs every year. Most of the first and second years wear scrubs every day unless they are on CP, whereas it varies in third year and higher (except for a couple of people who are always in scrubs, even on chemistry). Often the form it takes is scrub bottoms and a sweatshirt or some related shirt.

The only real expectation is that people wear scrubs when they cover frozen sections in case you have to go into the OR.

In my day (old fart alert) a few of us would wear regular clothes even on autopsy rotation, and just change into scrubs for the autopsy only. I don't wear them generally when I gross unless it's a really busy day, grossing isn't that messy and you have big cloaks and aprons which cover everything up anyway.

In general there is no dress code. I even see people in jeans now and then and I haven't heard anyone mention it as a problem, although I also haven't heard anyone praise it.

As others may find, these days people get very defensive when "professionalism" is brought up, so if someone mentions wearing scrubs as less professional someone will complain, etc etc, blah blah. But the truth is that your attire does reflect on you. Whether that matters to you is another story, though.

8. deschutes

deschutes Thing
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  9. DocGul

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Thanks a lot! your input really helpful. Since I have to spend most of my time in AP during the first two years, no need to invest too much on formal professional clothing then.

10. triguy

triguy Use the Force
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Do you consider FNA a CP rotation? No wonder the "chief" duty of scheduling rotations was tough for you. Lunge, parry, thrust!

11. FrozenBob

FrozenBob TK421

Fellow [Any Field]
    thanks for the correction - as you may know, FNAs are done during your cytology rotations which are in the division of AP. i'm not sure why you are referring to "chief" duty when this is a discussion about proper dress code and what is "Lunge, parry, thrust?":confused:

12. uhoh!

uhoh! Phobophile
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :smuggrin: