Dress Code for PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard some people say they have dress codes for regular class in PT school? If you belong to one of those programs, what is the reasoning for it and how do you feel about it? Share your opinions about the idea and feel free to bash on what you don't think is right.

My school has no regulations about it and I feel that having a business casual dress code would interfere with getting to school (I bike) and a distraction (having to "get ready" by waking up earlier than necessary).

Members don't see this ad.

I think your friends meant "dress code for the labs" as even in my school proper lab attire is expected. Loose shorts and shirts. i doubt they want their students to be in business casual attire.

I am in my first year and our dress code is "gym clothes". For our labs right now we spend most of our time in sports bras and shorts for the girls, shirtless and shorts for the guys. On the one day a week without lab we wear jeans and we tease each other that we are dressed up.

Members don't see this ad :)
3rd year and we joke that our official uniform is the hoodie. At any point in the day ~50% of the class is wearing one. My school doesn't allow hats either.

I heard from my boss at the outpatient clinic I work at that Mayo requires white polos and khakis for gross anatomy lab, or at least that's how it was when he looked at it 10 years ago. I really hope that's not true (I'll ask when I go in for an interview. haha). Not like that would deter me, but phenol smell doesn't come out of knits very easily. :p

All the photos on PT websites seem to show students in ADIDAS jogging pants and t-shirts. Coming from a dance background (spent most of college in sweatpants and a tank top) I'll feel right at home.

Our dress code is business casual or "professional" for any time that a guest is present (guest lecturer, grand rounds, special presentation, etc). Jeans or gym clothes are acceptable any other time though, and things like shorts and tanks are often required for lab courses. This sometimes means switching from gym clothes to dress clothes between classes, which is annoying but bearable.

I don't think that having students dress business casual (at least on occasion) is such a bad idea though. We are adults and professional students; we might as well dress the part. Besides, there are probably some PT students that could use a little professional dress practice before getting out of school;)

Des Moines University (in 1990) used to require a lab coat at all times. you could put it on over a winter coat and that was good enough if you wanted to check out a book or journal from the library but their rationale was that the Governor might walk through and they wanted everyone looking professional. you had two lab coats, one for anatomy lab (stinky) and one for everywhere else. I thought it was stupid but that was the rule. You could wear sweatpants, a torn up tee shirt and flipflops but you had to have the lab coat on to pick up your student loan check.

Silly.

I will be starting at University of St. Augustine in Spring and we received an info packet including information about the dress code. It seems like they're very strict... no flip flops or sandals, shirt must be tucked in (it specifically says, shirt must be long enough so that if you do three jumping jacks, your shirt will not come untucked), no earrings for guys, max 2 earrings for girls, no sleeveless shirts, clean shave or well kept facial hair for guys, only natural colored nail polish, no excessive make-up or perfume... lab coats for labs... we can wear workout clothes for certain labs, but must have a white t-shirt. And professional dress for a guest lecturer.

They're huge on professionalism which I think is good... I'm gonna have to buy some new/nicer clothes though!

I don't understand that. Why dress nicely just to go to class? I study and work best when I'm most comfortable. Which is gym shorts and shirt. I think studying and listening in anything else would be distracting.

i doubt they want their students to be in business casual attire.

bwahaha...just had an amusing mental picture of people dissecting in business suits. Reminds me of a scene from CSI where Lawrence Fishburne goes out to a crime scene in a full suit and his tie falls into a very sticky cadaver. :p

ahem. sorry. back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I'm at the University of St Augustine now and the dress code really isn't that bad. The dress code was actually students ideas. I wear jeans most days except in lab. I have not tucked in my shirt in the longest time. We only have to "dress up" for guest lectures and presentations. They just want us to have that sense of professionalism before we go out into the clinic. You wouldn't wear flip flops while treating a patient, right? The only thing I don't like is not being able to wear sweats to exams since thats what I use to do in undergrad for early morning finals ;)

I understand the dress code for guest lecturers and lab. I just thought there were more PT schools that has a dress code for regular lecture and class, similar to some business or law schools.

I am all for the tuxedo t-shirt, it shows I want to be formal, but I came here to party

Talladega Nights