Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noy

Senioritis Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the interview veterans around here, how the dress code for MSTP interviews? Since they are 2 days, does it change at all?

I know the interview portion should be suit-and-tie for men, equivalent for women, but what about all the social activities/dinners? Do people still dress up?

Also, how formal do you think one should go if they are visiting the school, not for an interview, but just to look around the med school, and perhaps the grad deprtment - still worth dressing up in a nice shirt and slacks? [eg, I will be meeting with the admissions people from MD, MSTP, and grad depts wihle there]

Thanks!
Now, I just need to start thinking about *getting* the interviews :p

Members don't see this ad.

put it this way: dress up for everything that has to do with med school unless explicitly said otherwise [i.e. the first day of the penn interview]. you are dressing up for the med school people, not the grad school people. for the vast majority, they coudln't be bothered - in fact at some schools they will ask why you are so dressed up [a big sign that the grad school isn't in touch with the med school side ...]. if you know you will have nothing to do with the med school on a certain day do whatever you want. play it safe - you can grow back your mohawk after you get in.

Definitely go conservative. It is far easier to explain why you are overdressed (and good call on this being a sign of a MD/PhD disconnect, noy) than to have the medical (or the MudPhuds on "day two" who still dress up in many cases) look at you like you're a slacker. I can assure you that if you come across one of these people, it will not be received well if you don't dress in at least a shirt and tie (or the female equivalent).

If you still want to wear sweats, fine. Just expect some funny looks from the not very rare uptight interviewer (even during the PhD interviews - like I said, some are CDs and still think like MDs when it comes to attire).

Remember, you'll have from 2 to 7 years to wear t-shirts when you get in the lab. First, though, you've got to get there.

Best o' luck

For an interview its clear - be conservative. Being an engineer, this is NO problem... No green hair or piercings here ;)

Whats the thought on a visit?

I called up a school and will just show up, sit in on a med school class, meet with some graduate folks, meet the MSTP people... This is NOT an interview...

Will they still be judging me to the point of clothing? A suit is not appropriate, but I guess neither is shorts and sandals!

And of course - No idea if they will want to interview me yet. But I'm hoping!....