Dress Codes: Boon or Bane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul's Boutique

B====D
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend at LECOM, and she's told me they have a "dress code" there: nice slacks, blouses/shirts, etc. Don't know about ties or not... basically, a business casual look every day, -all- day.

I then clipped this from another message from the Pre-Med (Osteo) section of this site:
...well received by the students. Do you agree? By the way, I LIKE THE IDEA OF A DRESS CODE too. Are they very interested in you're being...
(all-caps from original author -PB)

Aside from the fact that, yes, it does make us all look more professional while we're in class, who really wants to wear dress clothes every day while you're in school??? (Esp. for those in the warmer climates). Studying and working in the anatomy lab are tough enough, correct?

I do feel that you should wear dress clothes (w/ tie for men) while working with physicians, patients, during rotations/internships/residencies, but -school-??

What's the prevailing thought out there?

------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

"Never give in, never give in,
never, never, never, never..."

-Sir Winston Churchill, 1944

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think students should be required to dress up. We should be able to wear what is comforatble for us to lean in when we are in the classroom setting. I think a few limitatations should apply such as wearing clothes that make racial comments or advertise illegal drugs and that is about it.

There are times to dress professional but when I pay $25,000/year I should be able to wear what ever I want as long as I don't affend my classmates.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

I just don't get it. Who is going to notice your "professional image" when you are in class or in the library most of the day. Besides, the heavy backpacks we carry, with all the junk that helps us make it through the day, don't exactly match the "professional look". So, what should I do to carry my books "in style"?! Hire a porter???!!!

I also heard the rumor that, if you are not dressed according to the dress code, at least at one certain institution, you get sent home. Is it true??? Do you have to bring a note from your parents to be let in the next day?

Just my thoughts, of course :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Nova has a dress code too. I believe each individual school has it own identity and uniqueness, and having the dress code has made NOVA a little special. In fact, I do have much respect to the dress code and to the school as well. After all, it does represent NOVA.

Besides, we can wear scrubs as part of our dress code. What is more comfortable than wearing my "pajamas" to school? It isn't so bad after all. Trust me. (Does LECOM allow students to wear scrubs?)

I have to state that NOVA has fully inform all applicants about the dress code and every in-coming M1 has to sign an agreement before enrollment. It is a fair game.

Wear scrubs ARE comfortable! At least to me. I personally would not mind wearing scrubs all day. Anyone know if UHS has such a code?

------------------
Ryan
Western U/COMP Class of 2004
thedigitaldoctor.com

I am a classmate of Ryan's at WesternU/COMP. Unfortunately it is AGAINST our dress code to wear scrubs to school! Personally I don't think it matters, like the other person says, you spend 2 years in class so who will you impress by your clothing except your classmates?

EDGAR

Granted I am not at the school who has a dress code so it is easy for me to say this, but as long as we are taking a poll, the idea of a dress code sounds pretty interesting to me. Especially since most schools dont have one. I would agree with Henry that it would just be one more aspect to make that school unique. I can definitely understand why one wouldnt like a dress code, but I would view it as a unique and different flavor of my school. Just a thought.

No offense Henry, but if a school required everyone to wear beanie caps and red plastic noses, one could consider that "special" and unique as well. I feel the "dress code" is a vestigial reminent of the stodgy days of old. Yes, to many lay-persons that image is crucial. However, wearing an Armani suit will not make me any better a physician than wearing my hiking boots, Levi's and a sweatshirt [my attire of choice!].

When you are out and in practice, you will have to consider your patient population when choosing how you dress. For instance, how a geriatrician would choose to dress would most likely be very different than what a pediatrician would choose. Still, that is more of an image and pt comfort thing, not a quality of care issue.

IMHO, requiring we all look & dress alike is not going to make me a better Doc, which is why I am here in the first place.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Dave, I can understand your point of view and I have no problem with it.

I just remember that when I was waiting for the acceptance of medical schools, the only thing that was on my mind was not the "dress code" issue. My only conern was can I get into the school that I want to! NOVA was on the top of my list.

I remember how nice it was as an undergrad to be able to throw on jeans/shorts/sneaks/whatever and go to class. Studying was my 'job' then, and not having to worry about shaving every day, wearing 'dress' clothes, and -buying- said clothes was important (although I didn't think much about it at the time). Now, having worked for 5 years between undergrad and med school (and having to wear business clothes), I'm ready to go back to studying as my full-time 'job', and I look forward to the casual dress mode as one of the perks of being a student. For me, having to stick with the oxford shirts, khakis/Dockers/you-name-it, dress shoes and tie would stink.

And, if someone wanted to wear such clothes to school, they could do so---without requiring a dress code for the whole student body.

Live and let live? (dress and let dress???)
smile.gif

------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

"Never give in, never give in,
never, never, never, never..."

-Sir Winston Churchill, 1944

You know what, Edgar? You'll be a 'clasmate' (how 'bout 'schoolmate') of mine as well! (I guess miglo will be a classmate of mine, too)

I go to Nova and I feel that the dress code is just fine. I don't think that it impairs my learning ability in the least. If you think that you would be uncomfortable at a school that requires you to "dress up", then you should use this as a means to judge the schools that you apply to.

We cannot wear scrubs everyday at UHS, but an exception is made for MS1s on the days they have anatomy lab. However, other than not being able to wear scrubs all the time, we do not have a dress code. The only things that are not allowed are clothes with messages that denigrate others, that promote illegal stuff, or that are way too "revealing". Must of us wear jeans and t-shirts. Shorts are fine during the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dress codes, is there really a need? Think about it, that special feeling that one gets when they dress up lasts all of one mabey two days then it becomes part of the ordinary. Is there anything gained from learning the academic portion of a medical education in more expensive clothes. I have been with some docs who look like they have gotten dressed in the dark and their conduct and professionalism with patients is outstanding. Ones level of knowledge and mastery of their trade cannot be measured by their dress. Plus when we hit the wards there is an unspoken dress code and then we dress for the patients, but when they are not around believe me I'll be in my jeans.

I don't like the fact that I can't wear my baseball cap! Life goes on, but I like the lazy mornings wear all I have to do is slap on some jeans, sweatshirt and a cap and I'm ready to go. Oh well...

------------------
Ryan
thedigitaldoctor.com

I don't think you can wear caps at WesternU.

------------------
Ryan
thedigitaldoctor.com

Dress codes are a waste of time for those of us who are still preclinical anyway. It does nothing for the students, nothing for the patients, but perhaps gives the school a J. Crew or Abercrombie & Fitch look everyday.

I'm sure glad I don't have a dress code, but my friend at NYCOM must wear dress pants (slacks -- no jeans), shirt (not a t-shirt), and his lab coat EVERYDAY during class. I go to class (sometimes) wearing sweat pants, a t-shirt, and a baseball cap (backwards!).

smile.gif
Ahh... The joys of a free society.

Tim of New York City.

I like the NSUCOM dress code because it is comfortable but I must honestly say that it makes us look sloppy. A few years ago guys HAD to wear dress shirts and ties anytime they were not in the lab. Student government had that changed to matching scrubs OR the dress clothes. So now we all wear raggedy scrubs. Again, I like it because it is comfortable but I don't think it makes us look "J Crew" everyday.
smile.gif

And as I said in another post, I don't think a dress code is reason enough to rule out a school. It has no impact on the teaching whatsoever. Look at rotation opportunities, board pass rates, etc. -- not at dress codes.

ggulick.gif

Hmmmm........I have to rule out the NYCOM rumor. Yeah we have to wear the lab coat, but whatever is under it is your business. You can wear jeans. You can wear scrubs. And as long as you do not look like you were digging around the bottom of the hamper for the particular outfit, yoiu can pretty much wear whatever. The idea is to prevent med students form looking like ABSOLUTE slobs.

Kat,

I know for sure that NYCOM has an ambulatory care clinic on campus, and I guess the occassional patient does wander past the building -- but is there really a good reason for a dress code at NYCOM? If the students look like slobs, who's gonna really care?

My point is a dress code serves no real purpose. It doesn't help the students develop a professional identity, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't matter to the patients who roam about that PRECLINICAL students are in shorts and sandals.

Out of curiosity, how many students at NYCOM actually walk into class with scrubs on? My friend won't because he says it would look ridiculous (i.e., no one really does wear scrubs).

Tim of New York City.

[This message has been edited by turtleboard (edited October 20, 1999).]

The clinic on our campus is located at the entrance to the academic building where most of our classes are held, so it's not quite just the occasional patient passing by. We actually walk into the entrance of the clinic daily. About the matter of scrubs, actually, a large number of us wear them regularly, because it is comfortable, a lot more comfortable than dressing up. But, to tell you the truth, the faculty really hasn't monitored the dress code too closely.

[This message has been edited by togo (edited October 21, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by togo (edited October 21, 1999).]

How about this for Insanity?
I'm a M-3 at Nova and we have been
told that no one in rotations will receive help from the admnistration if they come to school out of dress code. This has happen to students who come on a DAY OFF to clinical affairs office to inquire about clerkships and were turned away because they were not wearing a tie or white lab coat.

Settle down. It takes me five minutes to put on a tie and a dress shirt to go to school. Big Deal! Studies have shown people tend to act like they dress. By the way, why the hell are you wearing scrubs anyway as first/second year students? Do you want to be recognized as a doctor even though you are no where near to becoming one? Settle down, you are students.

I wore scrubs as a first year because I hated it when my tie dragged across the cadaver as I was dissecting.

[This message has been edited by tonem (edited 10-26-1999).]

3moretogo,

no they don't want to get recognized as doctors by wearing scrubs...it is their school that wants to have them recognized as lawyers by wearing a dress shirt and tie (or perhaps MBAs)...ROFL

When was the last time you went to your doctor's office and he was seen patients dressed in scrubs??? Stuedents wearing scrubs will look like nurses who just got out of work, at the most. People these days are used to see their doctors wearing a tie, unless they get their primary care in the emergency department, so you have more of a chance of "impersonating" a physician by wearing a tie than by wearing scrubs.

A little off topic but a funny thought in light of the discussion. About scrubs, as an undergrad I have always thought it funny to see the kids in class who worked at a hospital later that day decked out in their scrubs. "Look at me, I am going to be a doctor!" I was joking around with my buddy about this b/c he was one of the spotlights who wore them adn his excuse was "I go to work after class and would rather not change." I guess that is kind of an explanation except that I have never seen the football team decked out in their pads all day b/c they have to go directly to practice after class
smile.gif

This thread is pretty funny - about the debate on the merit or evil of wearing scrubs. So what? I mean if you're a doctor and don't wear scrubs, you're still a doctor. If you aren't, wearing scrubs will not make you one. Who cares if people wear scrubs and why should they be criticized for wearing or not wearing scrubs. It's their choice of attirement, no? There's nothing wrong with medical students wearing scrubs because scrubs are not the devine armors to be reserved for a selected holy few. The question is why should you care what people wear? I wear scrubs constantly, and I work in a lab. They're comfortable, like PJ, and become especially handy when I get lazy and don't do laundry. Bottom line is wear what you like because it's a free country.
PS. Yes, even as entering medical students, you all, or at least the majority, will one day become doctors so nobody can accuse you of impersonating anybody.

[This message has been edited by DOPhD student (edited 10-28-1999).]

WHOA, a tie? That is really extreme. This is school. Intense school! Who wants to be sitting in a physiology lecture trying to pay careful attention as their tie attempts to choke them to sleep while their slacks are bunching up around the crotch?

Don't medical students have enough pressure without trying to put on a tie in the morning? This may sound silly, but one morning it took me five minutes to put on my tie. It ruined my outlook on the day. Who needs that?

I must be in the minority here, because I would wear scrubs to class on a "bad hair day" when I didn't want to think about what to wear (or if I was late and didn't have time to look for SLACKS and a TIE).

When you are running late sweatsuits (or scrubs if you have them) can be a life saver. I wouldn't advocate no grooming at all, but hey on some days its wash, brush, comb, roll-on, and roll out, a ten minute operation. What medical student has time to iron clothes every night for the next day?

I vote for casual Fridays and sweatshop Tuesdays, at least during the classrom years. I'm not trying to win a beauty contest, I'm trying to get an education.

What is the "dress code" like at WUHS? I am going to be a first year, just curious what's expected?

I heard that Western is "all nude".

Just something I heard...

[This message has been edited by Paul's Boutique (edited 10-28-1999).]

Wooo-Hooo!!! Nude at WUCOM...I'll file my transfer app tomorrow!!
wink.gif

------------------
Old Man Dave
KCOM, Class of 2003