Drew/UCLA (~60% tuition) vs UC Riverside (full tuition + no housing expenses)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Some background: I love the mission of both schools, and they both do fulfill their goal of helping the underserved. I grew up in both areas (south central LA & Inland Empire) so I’ve experienced both environments and am not necessarily motivated by city/weather since both are in SoCal & I love both cities. I am interested in going into primary care and for residency I do want to stay in California. After researching the educational curriculum of both programs extensively, I found that I like both about the same (I lean a bit more towards UCR’s curriculum with UCLA undergoing some drastic changes next year). UCR is offering a full tuition scholarship (all 4 years), and I already live in the I.E. with family (basically food + rent is free), whereas Drew/UCLA is offering to cover about 60% of tuition plus I need loans to cover the rest of the tuition & housing fees (about 120K over the 4 years).

Drew/UCLA

Pros
- Prestige/dream school
- Class of 28 students within the Drew program
- Competitive residency matches all over CA
- Clinical preceptorship 1st year in primary care, and a unique preceptorship 3rd year in specialty of interest

Cons
- 120K debt (plus 20K debt from undergrad)
- Need to compete for global heath opportunities (and overall competition with large class size)
- With changing curriculum, I will be competing for clinical rotation sites as an MS3 with MS2’s

UCR

Pros
- Would basically graduate debt-free
- Small class (~70)
- Seems that every year more & more students match into competitive residencies for primary care throughout California (Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, USC, etc)
- 3-year long clinical preceptorship in primary care
- global health opportunities seems easier to obtain

Cons
- newer school, not as established as other UC’s
- no primary hospital

Summary: I am leaning heavily towards UCR because it seems that it can provide me with the same CA residency opportunities that Drew/UCLA could, and my medical education would basically be free. But I’m afraid of the possible opportunities lost by not choosing Drew/UCLA, given the prestige of the school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UCR makes the most sense if you want to do primary care and match in CA because you'll be saving a lot more money. I don't think going there will close any doors for you in this regard. Congrats on the success!

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly it seems like UCR is the best option for you. The only thing that would make me consider Drew/UCLA is the whole Step 1 P/F thing. Unsure how much it might affect UCR match rates since it is newer and not as established!
But I agree UCR is a dope mission driven school and it’s also home for you so it still might be the best bet :)

you will do well either way!! I would love to hear your final decision!!

Reactions: 1 user