Drexel COM vs SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Game & Watch

What I learned in boating school is...
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Grateful that I have multiple acceptances, but now need to decide by the end of this week! Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated!!! NY resident here.

Drexel

Pros
  • Better interview experience (better overall vibes with students/staff)
  • Nicer facilities/tech integration
  • Slightly better name recognition
  • More organized/supportive administration
  • SLIGHTLY cheaper COL than NYC/Brooklyn
  • Located about 10-15 mins from Philly, nice having the option to live just outside the city hub
  • Felt more comfortable, nicer neighborhood immediately surrounding the school
  • Solid peds match results (what I'm leaning towards)
  • Medical Spanish Program

Cons
  • More expensive (significant factor, by about 50k)
  • Farther from friends/fam/SO
  • Uncertain if they are true P/F
  • Far affiliated hospitals, some located about 1.5 hours or more outside Philly
  • Smaller PH focus (one of my stronger interests)

Downstate

Pros
  • Less expensive (IS Resident, about 50K or more)
  • Will be closer to family & friends
  • Solid step 1 scores/match list
  • True P/F
  • Like the curriculum layout, spaced out exams
  • Curriculum's "Social Determinants of Health Pathway" (may help with residency apps/LORs)

Cons
  • Higher COL (slightly)
  • Meh neighborhood surrounding the school
  • Rough commutes to some clinical sites (can be an hour or more on the subway at odd hours)
  • Less organized administration (can already tell, one of the common complaints from students too)

Ultimately, I think the most significant factors are: 1) Residency/Step1 performance (similar), 2) Proximity to support, 3) Curriculum Structure, 4) Cost, and 5) Comfort. Thank you for helping!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Drexel better name recognition? Really?
Most ppl would pick Downstate easy. Cheaper and closer to your support system.
There are a lot of complaints about Drexel out there, while Downstate is a popular (but not perfect) school.

Reactions: 1 users
Drexel is definitely a more well known and established school. I’m a huge fan and highly considering attending myself.

Drexel has an affiliated children’s hospital which is huge when you’re interested in peds.

But, that price tag cannot be ignored.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're happy with both match lists and can see yourself being content at both programs, seems like a no brainer to go to Downstate given the somewhat lower cost and greater proximity to family. (The COL will be higher in NYC than Philly, so that evens things out a bit)

When it comes time for rotations, it might make sense to rent out a cheap place closer to the clinical site in order to cut down on commute. Time is precious during M3/M4.

If you're happy with both match lists and can see yourself being content at both programs, seems like a no brainer to go to Downstate given the somewhat lower cost and greater proximity to family. (The COL will be higher in NYC than Philly, so that evens things out a bit)

When it comes time for rotations, it might make sense to rent out a cheap place closer to the clinical site in order to cut down on commute. Time is precious during M3/M4.

Sound advice. I opted not to do rotations at Hahnemann third year, opted for an all-year site and moved closer to it. My commute became five minutes and rent was $600 a month cheaper. I am pay for it now at the beginning of fourth year, but, it is working out.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed @Moko - tough to turn down a school I was particularly high on since the beginning of the cycle, but think the right decision would be to be choose the more affordable school if I like both options with the added bonus of being closer to my support system