Drexel DPMS 2014-15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations you two on your acceptances! I wish you both all the best!

@KDVMSPH Just out of curiosity, does the program at LMU-DCOM have an early assurance into the medical school as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations you two on your acceptances! I wish you both all the best!

@KDVMSPH Just out of curiosity, does the program at LMU-DCOM have an early assurance into the medical school as well?

Yes, ~80% of the students who went through the program were accepted. When I spoke with the admissions, as long as you get an A/B in GROSS anatomy you are golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if the tablet we need has to be an iPad? I'm a huge Microsoft fan, I have the surface 1 and it's amazing and the surface 3 just came out and looks like it's gonna revolutionize tablets. Please tell me I can get the surface 3 and not an iPad.

Does anybody know if the tablet we need has to be an iPad? I'm a huge Microsoft fan, I have the surface 1 and it's amazing and the surface 3 just came out and looks like it's gonna revolutionize tablets. Please tell me I can get the surface 3 and not an iPad.

I am fairly certain it has to be an iPad but I was told we do not need it till August so I would suggest you wait a bit before buying it.

Yeah the form specifically saids ipad.... I wanted to use my Galaxy Note 8.0

Has anyone gotten a conformation on their deposit or any kind of instruction as to how we are gonna move in, or room-assignments? I've heard nothing.

I just emailed Dr. Walker to confirm that they did receive my deposit... I did think it was kinda strange that they didn't send anything since our acceptance lol! They must be super busy!

I also asked at what time we will end on Monday.. she said 3 p.m.!

Fantastic. An email sent today that we need a TB test and a Meningitis vaccine by Friday. Very impressed with the administration thus far.

^ I would call Janel Still and ask her if it would be alright to submit the forms once the test/vaccine is taken care of. I know in the e-mail that Janel sent us when we got our acceptances it was requested that we submit the forms by June 30th the latest, and it also mentioned that the PPD can be taken care of after arriving to campus.
My PPD took three days to complete (from receiving the shot to having it checked), and my undergraduate institution fortunately required that we get the meningitis shot before matriculation four years ago.

^ I would call Janel Still and ask her if it would be alright to submit the forms once the test/vaccine is taken care of. I know in the e-mail that Janel sent us when we got our acceptances it was requested that we submit the forms by June 30th the latest, and it also mentioned that the PPD can be taken care of after arriving to campus.
My PPD took three days to complete (from receiving the shot to having it checked), and my undergraduate institution fortunately required that we get the meningitis shot before matriculation four years ago.

PPD and Menigitis have to be in by Friday so they can allow you to move in on Sunday. You're right the e-mail said Meningitis by June 30 and PPD can be done there, however I called and apparently this is not the case. I was lucky enough to schedule one today so it will be read Friday and I can send the fax immediately.

@whyorwhynot

Hello,

Good luck on that MCAT! Hopefully this reply can serve as good information for other applicants as well.

1) I am kind of a procrastinator-- I didn't find out about the program until mid April when I knew I wasn't going to get into any schools I started looking into postbacs. I discovered that there were postbacs that granted direct admission to a med school upon completion and then went all out trying to find those. I somehow stumbled upon DPMS and saw it was by far the best opportunity. I know some other programs are similar at Georgetown and The Ohio State. I applied on the last day available to apply late April and, got the interview invite the first week of May and then interviewed at the end of May, then heard back in mid June.
2) There is no gpa or MCAT maximum. However if you have scores competitive enough for med school acceptance like a 3.5+ and a 30+ you would probably not get accepted because you already have a strong chance getting in the traditional route. Generally DPMS students either had below average stats or a high gpa and low MCAT or vice versa. At the same time, every story is different and they do review the whole application so I encourage you to still apply if you think you're a good fit for the program.
3) The program is something like$25,000 or more with living expenses its around $50,000. There is no FAFSA or Pell grants for graduate school so you'll be paying for it either out of pocket, or with Grad Plus loans. Grad Plus loans for Drexel will give you enough for tuition, and $21,000/year for ALL living expenses-- food, rent, transportation. That's something I didn't know before coming into school-- I thought I could take out however much I needed, but you can only take up to whatever the med school deems "the cost of living."
4) Housing was kind of a pain, especially for me because I was definitely part of the economically disadvantaged bunch-- but if you start looking early and get good roommates and find the good deals you can end up with a nice location and nice price. If you plan on having a roommate plan on spending $600-$800 for rent if you live by Queen Lane (where the medical school is) or $900-$1500 in Center City where you take all of you classes for the DPMS year. If you want to live alone in Queen Lane plan to spend $700-$1000, and if you're alone in the City probably like $900-$1800. There are good deals out there for sure, some people are only paying like $500, you just have to research a lot. But trust me, they'll tell you not to worry about looking for places till the end of summer-- start looking the first week! Seriously! If you live by Queen Lane it's cheaper, but pretty isolated from grocery stores, restaurants, or anything fun. There is a shuttle that runs from Queen Lane to Center City like every 15 minutes or so, but I'd recommend having a car if you live in Queen Lane. The school has a website that helps you find apartments/houses in the area. I used Craigslist to finally find a place... as I said I'm a procrastinator.
5) The summer portion is really what you make it. It's a fantastic opportunity to get a head start and learn the material for the first 2 exams in the Fall for Biochem and Physio. Biochem is an 8 credit class and can easily make or break you so if you can get a head start on it and do well on the first few exams it will make your life a WHOLE LOT EASIER. But it's very hard to take the Summer portion seriously, because you'll be in the city with a lot of fun stuff to do and it'll be very nice outside. At the same time it's very important to get to know your fellow DPMSers and have a little fun before life hits you hard in August. It's very possible to do both, go to the required lectures in the mornings, maybe study for a couple hours in the afternoon and then just hang out and go do stuff with the other DPMSers for the rest of the day. Essentially the summer portion is the first semester's material crammed into 6 weeks. You see all the same material you will see in the semester, so it's an opportunity to try to develop study habits, study groups, and get a sense of how the semester will go. You are provided with dorms, all the guys will live on a floor and the ladies on another. THERE IS NO MEAL PLAN OR FOOD OF ANY KIND PROVIDED. I found that out the hard way. So be sure to bring stuff to cook with and any sort of kitchen essentials. I liked the summer for sure, it was super fun. It was great to relive the Freshmen days and have a good time in the dorms, except this time there are pretty much no rules :D (but remember always be responsible and professional).
6) I applied to many med and DO schools and didn't get interviews to anywhere. My stats were just too low. DPMS is actually the only postbac I applied to, it was kind of a thing where I was like-- "ok well, I've already been rejected by the whole world, what's one more rejection?" so I sent in the app basically the day it was due and somehow got in! But there are definitely other programs similar to this as I mentioned in #1. But if you look for other programs find the ones that have a direct linkage to the school and you're good to go.

But I love the people in my program so much, and this whole process is probably the most fun I've ever had. I still have to pass the MCAT and get the grades for this semester, but things are looking up. Hopefully I answered some of your questions. Feel free to ask whatever you need to.

Hi DragonDoc,

"But I love the people in my program so much, and this whole process is probably the most fun I've ever had. I still have to pass the MCAT and get the grades for this semester, but things are looking up. Hopefully I answered some of your questions. Feel free to ask whatever you need to. "
**Are you saying you still need to take the MCAT again, WHILE you are doing the 1 year post bacc? What to they consider a 'passing' MCAT score?**

Hi DragonDoc,

"But I love the people in my program so much, and this whole process is probably the most fun I've ever had. I still have to pass the MCAT and get the grades for this semester, but things are looking up. Hopefully I answered some of your questions. Feel free to ask whatever you need to. "
**Are you saying you still need to take the MCAT again, WHILE you are doing the 1 year post bacc? What to they consider a 'passing' MCAT score?**
If you have above a 27-28 before applying or starting then you don't and you have to take and pass Immunology. If you don't then yes you have to take it. You will get an MCAT course for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have above a 27-28 before applying or starting then you don't and you have to take and pass Immunology. If you don't then yes you have to take it. You will get an MCAT course for it.
I thought if you had a 23+, you were on track 2? Did they recently change it?

Yeah oops brain fart. You need a 24 but at least a 7 in verbals and 8's in the sciences for track 2 on your mist recent test before the application. So if you get a 10,8,6 then retake and get a 9, 7, 8 you're in track one regardless that you have the scores on two tests if you take the best

So for anyone in the program, how's it going so far? Any words of advice to share application/interview/first month(s) experience etc any would be great and extremely helpful!!! Good luck guys

Hey guys,

That is right— you are bound to attend Drexel. Infact, when you fill out your AMCAS later, Drexel will be the only option when you go to select school. You can't even apply anywhere else if you wanted. If you miss contract, and continue with DPMS 2 or whatever, then you'll be able to apply elsewhere once again. Kind of sucks.... And now they don't even give us IPads anymore... So mad >_<

Hi @DragonDoc2018

I am directing this question to you since you have already completed DPMS track 2 and matriculated into Drexel, but anyone else who has matriculated into Drexel after DPMS should feel free to answer, as well. Approximately, how many students in the DPMS program during your year actually matriculated into DUCOM after 1 year of the DPMS? I know the matriculation rates vary from year to year, but I would like to have an idea of how difficult this is, before deciding to apply. Thanks!

The application is open now, and I believe you can apply still. I believe they may at least one mcat score on record. But I remember reading in past posts they take people with no MCAT score on record. If you are accepted they'll just put you on track 1, and if you get a high enough mcat score then they'll move you to track 2

The application deadline is in April so depending on how fast your mcat scores take I would email but other than that its actually early (current DPMSer)

The application deadline is in April so depending on how fast your mcat scores take I would email but other than that its actually early (current DPMSer)
If you don't mind, you could provide some insight how long days usually are, and how difficult it has been so far to manage all the classes? Are the classes well taught or does it feel that professors are disinterested? Also do you know if after you successfully complete the program, if you are forced into a pathway (PIL or IFM)?Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
usually have between 1-4 lectures a day( days don't exceed pass 5pm in actual classes and 7 for online quizzes). You are on the same schedule as the medical students for all except pharmacology, anatomy and medicine and society( all grad classes there has been conflicts). The classes are live-streamed to us and we have access to watch them later like the med students( as a result most people only go to the classes that are live I am not one on those people I go to class). I feel like overall the classes are well taught with a few professors who are not that good. I'm track two so I am now having a little trouble balancing immunology with biochem, physio and pharm but before that I was fine( immuno kinda just hits you like a truck with more lectures a day than the other classes). You are not forced into a track but I believe you have to apply for PIL( even if you get in the normal way you have to apply for PIL) and most I have talked to choose IFM because you have already had 2( 3 for Track 2 people) of the like 7 classes you are taking

For those that have attended one of the campus visits:

Do you feel it was helpful in terms of meeting administration personnel or was it primarily students and former students? I am considering attending a campus visit just to put a memory to my name.

If anyone has a late interview from May 19th to June 2nd, I am willing to host you for $30 in my living room. My apt is 2 min train ride from DUCOM or 15 min walk. Please message if interested.