DREXEL OR VTC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drexel or VTC?

• Total voters
D

deleted1135977

Hello,

i've been accepted to Virginia Tech Carilion (VTC) and Drexel (DUCOM), and im really torn on which school to attend

---> obviously i've heard a lot of bad things and generalized negative stigma surrounding Drexel, but continuously see solid match lists from Drexel despite all the hate. people tend to bring up the closing of the main hospital as a major con, but that was back in 2019 and im inclined to believe the school has worked out the kinks for clinical rotations by now. please correct me if im wrong.

the only thing i really care about is being able to match well and have a good learning experience and being prepared to be a good physician.

there are obvious differences between these schools

- Drexel class is ~300 kids, whereas VTC is 40-43, smaller class-size means potentially better chances of research and better letters of rec from professors

- VTC is known for their research, and even 'forces' all students to have a personal research project.

- Drexel is more established (older school) and is known throughout the country, whereas VTC is a fairly new school

- Drexel does not have its own hospital, whereas VTC does

- Drexel is in a big city (philadelphia), whereas VTC is in a small town (Roanoke)

please provide any insight on which is a better medical school to attend objectively? assume price is not a deciding factor. i just want to know which school is better to attend in general. THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

I have some familiarity with VTC from a friend of mine. VTC's class size is now 49 and they have plans to expand in future years. The research is an integral part of the medical education at VTC across all four years. PBL is a big part of the pre-clinical learning there. I can't speak for an entire class/school, but the input I have heard has been very favorable.

I think the ability to stay in one place, and having its own hospital, makes VTC a strong choice. The school and Research Institute are right next to each other. Hospital is very close. Walk or like 5-min shuttle bus.

Roanoke is more like a small city, maybe 100,000 residents in the city and 250,000 in the metro area. Not really a "small town" though. You may not care that much, however the cost of living is less in Roanoke.

I'm not very familiar with Drexel.

Good luck!