flyingbridge

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
Status
Hi all,

Well, I just sent Drexel my app today for the PMED program (http://www.drexel.edu/med/ims/epbpm.asp) I went to DU already for grad school and left in 1996 with a 3.72. My undergrad from another school from 1989 was a (lousy) 2.82. However I have 15 years' work experience and am taking a class already in Biology at a local college (outside Wash, DC).

I wish I had "discovered" medicine/biosciences earlier. I just love this stuff. It seems to offer a lot of the things I can't find elsewhere in other fields - meaningful work that tangibly contributes to humanity, intellectual challenge, room for existential inquiry (we still don't know why anything is alive-- well as much as I respect the meditative tradition I think we may get more answers to this question via the study of living things) and hard work. Being 36, people tell me I am little nuts to be looking at such a drastic change at this point, but drastic is what's needed. My dad's a college prof and even though he is retired and in his 70s, he's still teaching classes. This is just how our family is. We are egghead workaholics! :D

So anyone who has applied/gotten in/gotten rejected/etc., feel free to post; when after the office gets the 2 letters of recommendation do they usually reply with a decision? Also, I know about Philly's housing issues, esp. as they were 6 years ago when I lived there. I would be moving back of course if I got into the program but would need an actual house, as I have 5 cats and I can't see them liking life in an apt. (giving these babies up is not an option - they are like kids to me). Since things must have changed one way or another over the past 6 years can anyone say soemthing about house-like (large condos, townhouses, houses) in Philly near the DU campus?

Peace, and good luck to us all!

UnskinnyBop

CC Deville Wannabe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2004
from the fighting city of Philadelphia
Status
Well, I sent my application in to the PMED program I suppose around like June, and I heard from them about the first week in July. They called and I was sooo excited!!! ;) I'm very happy with the program- feel free to PM me if you'd like details or whatever.

Housing, I can't be much help about. I live in a really nice apt. that's right near the campus, but I only have one cat (and they allow two). I wouldn't want to give up my cats either, if I had five! :thumbup: I doubt you'll find a house close to campus- the PMED classes are at the Center City campus (which is actually part of Hahnemann Hospital) and there aren't really any houses around here. I think there are some condos down by the waterfront and in Chinatown... but I haven't really looked, either. ;)

OP
F

flyingbridge

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
Status
UnskinnyBop said:
Well, I sent my application in to the PMED program I suppose around like June, and I heard from them about the first week in July. They called and I was sooo excited!!! ;) I'm very happy with the program- feel free to PM me if you'd like details or whatever.
Hi UnskinnyBop,

Thanks for your reply... hopefully I will get a reply as soon as you did [hmm, hard to type with a cat on my lap like this who keeps nosing my fingers, but as you already know, I wouldn't give it up for anything :)]. Thanks for the info too on housing and the word on the CC location. That will affect my "back-to-Philly" survival strategy if I get accepted.

Yes, I would like to send you a PM and discuss more, so will do.