Drexel: Pros, Cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scarlett27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I interview at Drexel?

For applicants who have interviewed and current Drexel students:

What do you love or hate about the school?

Members don't see this ad.

Scarlett27 said:

My interivew was in early January. Really loved the PIL program and its director. Definitely worth meeting with him at the conclusion of the interview day.

I also love philly! Yet, it was not my favorite school. The students I talked with were not as happy and felt there was a real divide by those in the traditional curriculum track and the PIL track.

You should go, especially if you are interested in problem-based learning

Scarlett27 said:

Pros:
(a) very friendly students and staff
(b) choices of two tracks of learning...that's right two of 'em...both sound really good
(c) very high tech (taped lectures, wireless stuff and a bunch of other stuff I know I can't use), ironically despite boasting tech, they seem to invite via snail mail.
(d) small campus, it's basically one building (I think) so, there should be no reason to get lost.

Cons:
(a) Tuition is high but on par with most private institutions
(b) The surroudning area changes dramatically a few miles from school

Members don't see this ad :)
Cons:
1. Small campus. (I'm a Texan. I like things big :) )
2. Hospitals are separate from the medical school which I thought was weird. You have to take the shuttle to get to all the hospitals which personally I thought is very inconvenient
3. Students do not seem too excited about the school. I happen to be around some very unfriendly students who were talking crap about their classmates which really was a big turnoff...

Scarlett27 said:

Do you have other acceptances already? If not, you should definitely go to the interview.

Drexel was incredible when I visited. The school is very student friendly. I have no serious cons except for the fact that it is kind of expensive.

beponychick said:
Do you have other acceptances already? If not, you should definitely go to the interview.

Drexel was incredible when I visited. The school is very student friendly. I have no serious cons except for the fact that it is kind of expensive.

I have already been accepted at the University of Iowa and the University of Illinois at Chicago...I'm just trying to keep my options open. Thanks for the input.

So I called to see when the first available interview would be:

March 21

would I just be interviewing for a waitlist spot?

Interesting. I was invited to interview in January, and the first available spot was in May. wtf?

Scarlett27 said:
I have already been accepted at the University of Iowa and the University of Illinois at Chicago...I'm just trying to keep my options open. Thanks for the input.

Congrats on your acceptance. Is this your state school?

beponychick said:
Congrats on your acceptance. Is this your state school?

Neither are my state schools....I'm still waiting on mine.

Pros:
-Great curriculum in both choices. PBL might be the best in the country.
-Nice, compact campus
-Very high tech

Cons:
-Way too much jumping third year, although some people could view this as a positive.
-Pretty big class, but it shrinks considerably with each curriculum.
-REALLY expensive. 60K budget.
-Campus is just outside of a really bad area.

ashabee4 said:
Interesting. I was invited to interview in January, and the first available spot was in May. wtf?

Me too! I was invited in December and the first available was in April...does that mean they just want us to interview for the waitlist, or should I call to see if I can get an earlier one? I've interviewed a couple other places and I wasn't planning on going to Drexel if I got accepted anywhere else, but it's not looking too good so far. Grrrr!

This is really interesting. I haven't yet met a Drexel student who didn't love the school, and considering that I'm currently typing this from within the Drexel library, I work at Drexel, and my husband is a student, that's saying a lot. In my opinion the students are almost all very enthusiastic about the school and happy to be here.

There was a thread about Philly schools a while back in which I listed my pros and cons for Drexel. I can try to list them again:

Pros:
- Nice students, very diverse student body
- Professors are absolutely dedicated to education and to the students; Drexel has actually been recognized for this by the LCME
- Pre-clinical curriculum is, IMO, unsurpassed by any other (I'm really talking the IFM curriculum here; I don't know much about PIL; IFM is sort of symptom-based, which is systems-based with a twist, and it's absolutely amazing)
- Preparation for clinical rotations is outstanding
- Philadelphia is a great city. The campus itself is nice, even if some parts of the surrounding area aren't the best (and they really aren't bad)
- Resources are amazing; online videos of lectures (which you can speed up or slow down), online notes, etc.
- Wide variety of rotation sites, so very diverse patient populations

Cons
- Reputation isn't too great, although people often match well (but where don't they?)
- You can potentially do rotations all over the state and into New Jersey; they make exceptions for special cases (childcare, etc.), and some people like this while others don't as much
- Main teaching hospital isn't really so nice. Debatable how important this is, as you don't necessarily have to spend too much time there. Unfortunately, most residents are FMGs (this is unfortunate for language barrier reasons)
- Expensive, like any private school. Only need-based aid available
- If you're interested in basic science research, this isn't the school for you. There are opportunities, but funding is scarce.

There is a divide between the PIL students and the IFM students during the first two years. PIL is such a small minority of the class, though, that it's not a big deal -- IFM students don't notice much, and the PIL students I've talked to have generally been glad to have the opportunity to become very close to their fellow PIL students. Personally I am not a fan of the PIL curriculum (for reasons I've stated before in PBL threads), but the students seem to like it.

I'll probably end up at Drexel, though it's by no means certain. The faculty and staff are just amazingly dedicated to helping the students. It's a very accomodating school, and I think the students get a great education. My only two worries in choosing Drexel are the reputation and the cost. Since my other choices aren't much cheaper, it comes down to reputation. But I love Drexel, and I encourage anybody who is interested in the school to really talk to lots of students and visit to get a feel for how warm and friendly it is, and for what a great education they offer.