Drexel University Class of 2018

Started by kes5573
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kes5573

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there anyone else accepted to the Drexel DPT class of 2018 who is highly considering attending?
 
Me! I was accepted awhile back with an offer (significant scholarship) that is proving to be very hard to resist. I'm still waiting on hearing back from other schools, since for all I know there could be another surprise, but it's looking more and more likely that I will be attending Drexel.

However, for whatever reason I hadn't envisioned myself attending Drexel, but applied because my stats match what they are looking for and I've heard good things about the school. I haven't been able to tour the campus or anything though as I live on the other side of the Pacific. I wonder...

It helps that we have such a long time to accept the offer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me! I was accepted awhile back with an offer (significant scholarship) that is proving to be very hard to resist. I'm still waiting on hearing back from other schools, since for all I know there could be another surprise, but it's looking more and more likely that I will be attending Drexel.

However, for whatever reason I hadn't envisioned myself attending Drexel, but applied because my stats match what they are looking for and I've heard good things about the school. I haven't been able to tour the campus or anything though as I live on the other side of the Pacific. I wonder...

It helps that we have such a long time to accept the offer.

I feel the same way about the scholarship! How many schools are you waiting on? I got a little ambitious in the admission's process and applied to quite a few- now I'm finding it difficult to choose.

Did you have a particular "dream school" in mind? I actually wasn't even considering Drexel until a few months ago, but I live in PA and know a handful of people that have gone there and loved it. The faculty is also very nice and personable, which has given me a good "feel." It is certainly nice that we have until April to decide- at one point I feel like I just need to make a decision, though, as I'm someone who will weigh the pro's and con's forever and drive myself nuts!
 
I'm a first year Drexel student (and I LOVE it!) if anyone has any questions or what not🙂

I would love to talk to you! I've gotten feedback from a few friends that have gone there, but more insight never hurts! Not sure if I should message you or if it may help to share some thoughts on here for everyone else? Largely I'd just like to know what you think sets Drexel apart and how your experience has been. So far, everyone I've communicated with from there has been extremely nice and personable. I've heard from several individuals that it's a very supportive environment and teachers are always available, which really appeals to me. From what I've seen, I also like the set-up of the clinicals and the fact that they're willing to take your preferences into consideration.
 
I feel the same way about the scholarship! How many schools are you waiting on? I got a little ambitious in the admission's process and applied to quite a few- now I'm finding it difficult to choose.

Did you have a particular "dream school" in mind? I actually wasn't even considering Drexel until a few months ago, but I live in PA and know a handful of people that have gone there and loved it. The faculty is also very nice and personable, which has given me a good "feel." It is certainly nice that we have until April to decide- at one point I feel like I just need to make a decision, though, as I'm someone who will weigh the pro's and con's forever and drive myself nuts!

I'm waiting on 4 more schools. I was also really ambitious in my application process and applied to 7 schools (partly because I wasn't sure if something would end up going wrong while applying from abroad, partly inability to choose, and partly an old 'med school mentality' that still persists.) I'm definitely finding it hard to choose.

I did have some particular dream schools in mind... my dream school is/was Northwestern, which I'm waiting to hear back from. It's just so expensive! I did think a lot about cost before I applied to these schools, but it definitely hits more when you start getting acceptances and now I doubt I'll go to any of my dream schools. But who knows -- there could be a surprise waiting as with Drexel.

I never envisioned myself going to Drexel. I'm from Arizona so I had never really heard too much about it and the scholarship just kind of came out of the blue and has made it very hard to say 'no' (though I've been hearing very positive things about the school/program, so I'd still be happy to say 'yes' 🙂 ) One of the schools I'm waiting on is my state school, NAU. It's very cheap but Drexel's significant scholarship puts it on the same field. NAU is a fairly well respected (PT) program, but I really can't see myself being isolated in very small town Flagstaff, for any cost. It might sound a bit petty, but I'm a big city person and would ultimately like to work in an urban environment (and I'm VERY tired of AZ) -- so I'd really prefer to do my schooling in such an environment.
 
I'm a first year Drexel student (and I LOVE it!) if anyone has any questions or what not🙂

I've been really happy to hear positive things about Drexel, especially considering that I hadn't first considered much about the program in the beginning (what an oversight on my part! I'd second what kes5573 asked, and I'd mostly like to hear what your overall impressions are with the program.

I'd also really like to hear about how the facilities and the staff are. I live in South Korea so I haven't had the chance to visit (a major trade off for the money I'm saving). My interview made the staff seem friendly, but it was only over Skype and with one faculty member.

Also: how do you feel about the 2.5 year timing of the program? What are some positives and negatives) (I know that you haven't had much time to experience it fully, but whatever your first impressions are.) I think one of the reasons I hadn't considered Drexel as much as others was because the 2.5 year set up didn't seem as appealing (though now that I think about it, it does seem to have it's benefits).
 
Hi guys! So I'll post a bit here and if you have any specific questions feel free to message me 🙂
So I am actually from CA and decided to only apply to east coast schools for the experience, and Drexel definitely stood out to me after my interview there. My professors and the faculty are AWESOME and always available for anything you may need, whether it be extra help or just to talk. The fact that the program is 2.5 years is actually awesome because it means we will finish schooling before most of our peers and thus can take the exam sooner and find jobs sooner 😀
This quarter has been very manageable schedule-wise, but I know next quarter we have a few more classes and it is going to be tougher, but overall the workload is doable. The standardized patient labs that Drexel has are a really unique experience and a great way to interact with "patients" early on in the program. I don't really have any complaints, I honestly love it here!
 
Hi guys! So I'll post a bit here and if you have any specific questions feel free to message me 🙂
So I am actually from CA and decided to only apply to east coast schools for the experience, and Drexel definitely stood out to me after my interview there. My professors and the faculty are AWESOME and always available for anything you may need, whether it be extra help or just to talk. The fact that the program is 2.5 years is actually awesome because it means we will finish schooling before most of our peers and thus can take the exam sooner and find jobs sooner 😀
This quarter has been very manageable schedule-wise, but I know next quarter we have a few more classes and it is going to be tougher, but overall the workload is doable. The standardized patient labs that Drexel has are a really unique experience and a great way to interact with "patients" early on in the program. I don't really have any complaints, I honestly love it here!

Thank you so much! I may be messaging you here shortly because I am really leaning towards Drexel but want to get as much input as possible. 🙂
 
I'm waiting on 4 more schools. I was also really ambitious in my application process and applied to 7 schools (partly because I wasn't sure if something would end up going wrong while applying from abroad, partly inability to choose, and partly an old 'med school mentality' that still persists.) I'm definitely finding it hard to choose.

I did have some particular dream schools in mind... my dream school is/was Northwestern, which I'm waiting to hear back from. It's just so expensive! I did think a lot about cost before I applied to these schools, but it definitely hits more when you start getting acceptances and now I doubt I'll go to any of my dream schools. But who knows -- there could be a surprise waiting as with Drexel.

I never envisioned myself going to Drexel. I'm from Arizona so I had never really heard too much about it and the scholarship just kind of came out of the blue and has made it very hard to say 'no' (though I've been hearing very positive things about the school/program, so I'd still be happy to say 'yes' 🙂 ) One of the schools I'm waiting on is my state school, NAU. It's very cheap but Drexel's significant scholarship puts it on the same field. NAU is a fairly well respected (PT) program, but I really can't see myself being isolated in very small town Flagstaff, for any cost. It might sound a bit petty, but I'm a big city person and would ultimately like to work in an urban environment (and I'm VERY tired of AZ) -- so I'd really prefer to do my schooling in such an environment.

What schools are you waiting on, if you don't mind me asking?

And have you heard anything from Northwestern? I actually got accepted there the other week but am debating attending the open house in January. The program intimidates me to be honest, especially with the large class size. I also have never been to Chicago so I don't really know what to expect. And like you said... it's proving really difficult to pass up the $$ Drexel would be providing. Speaking of: I went back to Drexel yesterday and sat in on an anatomy lecture/lab that I really enjoyed. The atmosphere is so comfortable and the students and professors were all really nice and accommodating.

Funny that you mention NAU! I had been in contact with a friend of my research professor that works there and was trying to get me to apply. I've never been out west and the 100+ degree temps scared me too much to go for it, but she told me more students actually prefer the Flagstaff campus (though I know those temps are much cooler).
 
I like the idea of Northwestern's larger class size, as long as they have the faculty to handle it. To me it just means more students to get to know -- fewer limitations. I figure if NU is the oldest PT school in the country, they must know what they're doing and have the capacity/infrastructure to educate such a large class.

I'm also waiting on NAU. And I'd much prefer Flagstaff over Phoenix.

And I'm also waiting on UNLV, my only in-state application ...
 
I like the idea of Northwestern's larger class size, as long as they have the faculty to handle it. To me it just means more students to get to know -- fewer limitations. I figure if NU is the oldest PT school in the country, they must know what they're doing and have the capacity/infrastructure to educate such a large class.

I'm also waiting on NAU. And I'd much prefer Flagstaff over Phoenix.

And I'm also waiting on UNLV, my only in-state application ...

True, do you know what the student faculty ratio? I remember looking it up and thinking it was pretty similar to some smaller schools, but I can't find it right now. I just feel like it may be harder for the profs to get to know all the students? But I saw one student mention that the profs are always available and very accommodating, so maybe not. I keep reading about people who went to the open house and were blown away by the program and facilities...
 
NU has 53 faculty profiles.
Not sure if they're all full-time or what not, but that's a student-faculty ratio of about 1.7:1.
More faculty to get to know!
 
NU has 53 faculty profiles.
Not sure if they're all full-time or what not, but that's a student-faculty ratio of about 1.7:1.
More faculty to get to know!

True! I've heard from people that attended the open house that they were blown away by the program/faculty/facilities... so if I end up going and loving it, the only thing holding me back will be convincing myself it's worth nearly twice the price of Drexel.

Do you have an idea of when you'll be hearing back from your other schools?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would really love to go to school in the Philly area and am just trying to decide between Temple and Drexel. Anyone else in the same boat?
 
What schools are you waiting on, if you don't mind me asking?

And have you heard anything from Northwestern? I actually got accepted there the other week but am debating attending the open house in January. The program intimidates me to be honest, especially with the large class size. I also have never been to Chicago so I don't really know what to expect. And like you said... it's proving really difficult to pass up the $$ Drexel would be providing. Speaking of: I went back to Drexel yesterday and sat in on an anatomy lecture/lab that I really enjoyed. The atmosphere is so comfortable and the students and professors were all really nice and accommodating.

Funny that you mention NAU! I had been in contact with a friend of my research professor that works there and was trying to get me to apply. I've never been out west and the 100+ degree temps scared me too much to go for it, but she told me more students actually prefer the Flagstaff campus (though I know those temps are much cooler).

I'm waiting on Northwestern, NAU, George Washington U, and the University of Washington.

I haven't heard anything form Northwestern yet, though I'm in a sort of weird situation where I listed my parents' home phone number on the PTCAS application because I'm living in Korea, so they'll have to call my parents and then contact me from there. BUT ALSO, a couple weeks into the window for hearing back from NU, I thought to message my parents about looking out for a call from them and it turns out they had had their homephone unplugged. It's not plugged in but a part of me is worried that they tried calling a few times before I got my parents to plug it back in, and they'd given up after just getting endless rings. I'd email them but I don't want to be presumptuous about it... I have until mid-December though. Eh, what a weird thing to happen.

Either way, Northwestern is way more expensive than Drexel, and I guess that I would prefer to have a smaller class size.

If I were to decide to go to NAU I would only go to the Flagstaff campus -- at least it would be a change. I spent the majority of my life in Tucson and Phoenix is just a larger, hotter version -- I'd go insane. I have a friend at the NAU Flagstaff campus and I think she really likes it.
 
Is there anyone else accepted to the Drexel DPT class of 2018 who is highly considering attending?

Hello! Congrats on your acceptance! Honestly, Drexel was the last place that I thought I'd end up for my DPT because I attended the university as an undergraduate. After graduating, I took some time off to work, get some more experience, and check out other schools (I was way too busy as an undergrad and student athlete).Also, I interviewed at other schools in the area and compared the stats. Once again, I've accepted at seat back at Drexel. If you have any questions or want to start a facebook group, please contact me 🙂
 
I would really love to go to school in the Philly area and am just trying to decide between Temple and Drexel. Anyone else in the same boat?
I think I'm going to go to Drexel! It's mainly coming down to the astronomical cost differential for me as an out of state student and the fact that I'm in love with Drexel's location. Both programs are awesome!
 
Hello! Congrats on your acceptance! Honestly, Drexel was the last place that I thought I'd end up for my DPT because I attended the university as an undergraduate. After graduating, I took some time off to work, get some more experience, and check out other schools (I was way too busy as an undergrad and student athlete).Also, I interviewed at other schools in the area and compared the stats. Once again, I've accepted at seat back at Drexel. If you have any questions or want to start a facebook group, please contact me 🙂

Yay!! I am 99% sure I am attending. It was also one of the last places I ever thought I would end up (I actually applied at the last minute) but I love everything about it thus far (and the $$ is certainly a huge factor as well). I will be likely be making a decision within the next few days and will let you know; I'm anxious to start getting to know my classmates!
 
I'm 90% I'm going to end up at Drexel! I'm trying to decide between Drexel and another school in Georgia, and I feel like I would have a lot more opportunities in Philly. With the scholarship there isn't much of a price difference, so I'm trying to decide if I am capable of the move. My first time in Philly was for the interview, and I'm from Tennessee so I know it'll be a big change. Where are you guys from?
 
I'm 90% I'm going to end up at Drexel! I'm trying to decide between Drexel and another school in Georgia, and I feel like I would have a lot more opportunities in Philly. With the scholarship there isn't much of a price difference, so I'm trying to decide if I am capable of the move. My first time in Philly was for the interview, and I'm from Tennessee so I know it'll be a big change. Where are you guys from?

That's exciting! I believe I'm committing today 🙂 I'm from Pittsburgh, so about five hours east of Philly. Are you from a small town in Tennessee?
 
I'm 90% I'm going to end up at Drexel! I'm trying to decide between Drexel and another school in Georgia, and I feel like I would have a lot more opportunities in Philly. With the scholarship there isn't much of a price difference, so I'm trying to decide if I am capable of the move. My first time in Philly was for the interview, and I'm from Tennessee so I know it'll be a big change. Where are you guys from?
I'm from the Jersey Shore about an hour and a half away from
Philly. Also, I attended Drexel for undergrad, and rowed for the crew team. There were a ton of people from out of state that assimulated very well to the city life! It's actually quite calm compared to what you would expect, and the culture and transportation system is wonderful. I'd love to start a group on Facebook so we can share more!
 
Last edited:
need accepted first ...

Jefferson offered a good chunk of change. I like both programs. Drexel's interview process appears to be a little more robust, but both schools were impressive, and it seems like you can't beat Philly in terms of health sciences. 8 hours of travel time to get home, though ... oy
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
busy January -- open houses @ NU & UIC and interviews at RFUMS, Regis & UNLV.
Drexel's offer makes it cheaper than UNLV's in-state tuition ... plus it is 2-1/2 years.
so far away !
 
Last edited:
busy January -- open houses @ NU & UIC and interviews at RFUMS, Regis & UNLV.
Drexel's offer makes it cheaper than UNLV's in-state tuition ... plus Tis 2-1/2 years.
so far away !

Keep me posted! I decided to commit to Drexel last month so I could just put the whole process to rest but it sounds like we're interested in many of the same schools (I would also be visiting NU, UIC, and Regis if I hadn't put a deposit down). Granted, I'm from PA so the close distance was a contributing factor, but I also found the scholarship and program length very appealing. I think I've asked you this before, but how far are you from Philly?
 
Me! I was accepted awhile back with an offer (significant scholarship) that is proving to be very hard to resist. I'm still waiting on hearing back from other schools, since for all I know there could be another surprise, but it's looking more and more likely that I will be attending Drexel.

However, for whatever reason I hadn't envisioned myself attending Drexel, but applied because my stats match what they are looking for and I've heard good things about the school. I haven't been able to tour the campus or anything though as I live on the other side of the Pacific. I wonder...

It helps that we have such a long time to accept the offer.

Wow you got in and got the scholarship?!! That's awesome. I interviewed in the beginning of October but haven't heard anything yet. How long did it take for them to get back to you? And when you were accepted did they also notify you that you received a scholarship or did that news come later?
 
Wow you got in and got the scholarship?!! That's awesome. I interviewed in the beginning of October but haven't heard anything yet. How long did it take for them to get back to you? And when you were accepted did they also notify you that you received a scholarship or did that news come later?
I know for me, I interviewed last friday and I heard from them just yesterday! So it hadn't even been a week and I heard back which I thought was super amazing. I didn't expect to hear back so soon. The info about scholarships comes in the acceptance letter also.
 
I know for me, I interviewed last friday and I heard from them just yesterday! So it hadn't even been a week and I heard back which I thought was super amazing. I didn't expect to hear back so soon. The info about scholarships comes in the acceptance letter also.

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah it seems like it varies. Some people hear back very soon, others it takes longer
 
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah it seems like it varies. Some people hear back very soon, others it takes longer
yeah they said that that happens! i'm not sure why though or how they determine who they will contact first. they said by the latest, the third week of december they should have all the decisions out.
 
Hi guys! So I'll post a bit here and if you have any specific questions feel free to message me 🙂
So I am actually from CA and decided to only apply to east coast schools for the experience, and Drexel definitely stood out to me after my interview there. My professors and the faculty are AWESOME and always available for anything you may need, whether it be extra help or just to talk. The fact that the program is 2.5 years is actually awesome because it means we will finish schooling before most of our peers and thus can take the exam sooner and find jobs sooner 😀
This quarter has been very manageable schedule-wise, but I know next quarter we have a few more classes and it is going to be tougher, but overall the workload is doable. The standardized patient labs that Drexel has are a really unique experience and a great way to interact with "patients" early on in the program. I don't really have any complaints, I honestly love it here!
hi! I was just accepted to drexel and i have a few questions. could i contact you with questions that i have?