Drexel vs. Jefferson vs. Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justus07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine who is from Philly told me he would rank the 3 schools like this: 1) Drexel, 2) Jefferson, and 3) Temple, primarily based on location of these schools in Philly.

How would you rank these three schools and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Justus07 said:
A friend of mine who is from Philly told me he would rank the 3 schools like this: 1) Drexel, 2) Jefferson, and 3) Temple, primarily based on location of these schools in Philly.

umm in regards to the school themselves i'd say

jefferson/temple/drexel.

in regards to location jefferson is in the historical area which is really nice. temple is in not so great of an area and drexel is like in the suburbs which i found to be kind of weird. based on location i'd go to jefferson. there are a lot of bars right on the street and its reallly a cute area.

Justus07 said:

I'd say Drexel then Jefferson then Temple...but I'm going to Drexel in August so I might be a little biased. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the second post. Jefferson's definitely the best of the three. Although Temple's in a very shady area, I know a couple of local docs (I live in Philly) who say Temple's hospitals are much better than Drexel's.

All in all, they seem fairly equal to me.

fishing for secondary answers....always good to see

Absolutely.. Jefferson then Temple then Drexel. (I applied to the first two)

Based on location, I'd say Jefferson first, then Drexel, and then Temple.

narc said:
fishing for secondary answers....always good to see

lol. i donno about that, i think it's more of a personal choice thing..

either way, i woudn't want to write about why i wanna go to a certain school based on how it compares to neighboring schools..

Robizzle said:
lol. i donno about that, i think it's more of a personal choice thing..

either way, i woudn't want to write about why i wanna go to a certain school based on how it compares to neighboring schools..

Haha, personal choice for sure... I just wanted to get a sense of how these schools are different since I'm not from Philly.

I didn't interview at Jefferson, so I can't comment on that, but I did interview at both Temple and Drexel, and based on that I would rank Temple above Drexel. While Drexel's school might be in a more desirable location, I really got the feeling that you would get better clinical experiences at Temple. One student told me the ER there averages at least one GSW a day (take that as you will). Also, Drexel's hospitals are located quite far from their med school campus, while for Temple they're right across the street. If I were choosing between those two, I'd pick Temple.

I've been around Drexel and Jefferson and I think Jefferson would be #1. I heard lots of shady things about Temple, about how it's dangerous there, and there are tons of gunshot wounds victims, etc., but I'm sure it is an okay place.

Drexel, well, they have the Hahnemann hospital (sp?) which I have not heard great things about (my g/f is a nursing student at Drexel who was at Hahnemann, and she didn't really like it).

But other than that, I dunno. I would rank Jeff>Drexel>Temple. I am not even applying to Temple actually.

1. McDonalds.
2. Hunting w/Cheney.
3. Drexel/Jefferson/Temple.

Really, once you're there, it's just different circles of hell.

I'm just kidding :^)

Live and work in Philly: 1 Jefferson 2 Drexel or Temple (interchangeable)

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't Temple the priciest (or one of) medical school for out of staters?

DoctorNick83 said:
Isn't Temple the priciest (or one of) medical school for out of staters?

I believe that honor goes to the University of Colorado.

UCLAstudent said:
I believe that honor goes to the University of Colorado.

Im sorry, but your damn avitar freaks me out everytime i see it :laugh:

thinknofu3 said:
I really got the feeling that you would get better clinical experiences at Temple. One student told me the ER there averages at least one GSW a day

Fanastic! Sounds like a freakin' eutopia.

fleetgoddess said:

jefferson/temple/drexel.

in regards to location jefferson is in the historical area which is really nice. temple is in not so great of an area and drexel is like in the suburbs which i found to be kind of weird. based on location i'd go to jefferson. there are a lot of bars right on the street and its reallly a cute area.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

drexel is in a boring location (burbs)
temple is in the ghetto
jefferson is in an awesome location (center city)

Drexel's administration has turned over something like 7 times in the past 30 years ago. When I started it was Hahnemman med school. It has the second largest class size in the nation because years ago they were trying to increase class size to keep the place afloat. Its affiliated hospitals are constantly turning over or closing. If you go there, expect to be put on fairly large teams and/or get sent far way for your rotations. It's in a decent suburb, but don't expect to live in the city (huge pain in the rear end).

Temple is in the ghetto, but otherwise is an ok and stable school. They were on probation a few years ago for not having enough student study space (true) and not giving enough financial aid (also kinda true). There's not much of a break for being in-state, but all Philly schools are very expensive. Jefferson is in a nice part of town and has the most research of the three. The only rumor I hear is that they hold back or fail out a good 5 people a year, which would scare me a little bit.

In terms of education: Jefferson then Temple then Drexel.

Temple's in the ghetto, but thats ok with me. I've worked less than 2 blocks away from Temple for over a year and I'm still alive :laugh:

Temple's in the ghetto, but thats ok with me. I've worked less than 2 blocks away from Temple for over a year and I'm still alive :laugh:[/QUOTE]

glad ure still alive.

Center City is amazing and Jefferson was very impressive.

I really wasn't impressed by Drexel. Hanamen i've heard terrible stories about from drug reps... i spelled that wrong. i thought it was disorganized and that building reminded me of my middle school actually .

and i was too fearful of completing my secondary for Temple. I went to college in a midwest catholic school bubble. temple would have been a shock but i've heard good things about the school.

fleetgoddess said:

edit- mistaken on location

I would rank them Jefferson, Drexel, Temple in terms of quality/prestige....

However, location would definitely be Jefferson, Temple, Drexel.....I love big cities, I love action, I served an LDS mission in Philadelphia, it would just be great to go to any of those schools.

Let's be honest though, those three put together don't hold a candle to UPENN, so I'm hoping for an interview there...

I don't know about Jefferson, but I'd take Temple any day over Drexel.

ryandote said:
fleetgoddess said:

edit- mistaken on location

I would rank them Jefferson, Drexel, Temple in terms of quality/prestige....

However, location would definitely be Jefferson, Temple, Drexel.....I love big cities, I love action, I served an LDS mission in Philadelphia, it would just be great to go to any of those schools.

Let's be honest though, those three put together don't hold a candle to UPENN, so I'm hoping for an interview there...

Yeah interviewed at UPENN got first tier waitlisted and heard nothing. Honestly, I was very impressed with Jefferson and ended up liking them both equally on interview day. But of course UPENN is more prestigous. However in Philadelphia people seem to hold Jefferson and UPENN at the same level in their regards.... both really good schools. Just something I've picked up on from anyone around there.

Just to clarify, you can definitely live in Center City and go to Drexel. Yes, the actual school is in a crappy suburb-like place, but there's a shuttle bus that leaves from Hahnemann (in Center City) every half an hour going to the campus, and vice-versa. It's no big deal. I live in Center City and wouldn't dream of moving. Also, during third and fourth year, as previously stated, you'll be pretty much all over the place, so why not live somewhere nice? :cool:

fleetgoddess said:
ryandote said:
Yeah interviewed at UPENN got first tier waitlisted and heard nothing. Honestly, I was very impressed with Jefferson and ended up liking them both equally on interview day. But of course UPENN is more prestigous. However in Philadelphia people seem to hold Jefferson and UPENN at the same level in their regards.... both really good schools. Just something I've picked up on from anyone around there.

Same exact situation here! I am going to Jefferson in a few weeks. I loved it there. I liked Penn too of course, the hospital is great and the curriculum is stellar.
Comparing the other three, I got into Drexel and Jeff, and I chose Jeff because it has the complete package: location is amazing, hospital has a good reputation, good affiliates, good curriculum (block system), great students and faculty. Drexel had a nice school, but having lived in this area my whole life, I know that Hanneman has a bad rep. I also interviewed and was waitlisted at Temple, and I would have chose that over Drexel (but not over Jeff!) because, regardless of the area, the hospital is very reputable. When my dad had a heart attack, they transfered him directly to Temple from South Jersey, if that makes a difference to anyone. (And he got great care and is in good shape now). If you want good experience in Emergency Med, Cardio, or Rads, Temple has a good facility. Drexel is good if you want to go into problem based learning.
Jeff has a good rep in orthopedics and a bunch of other things i could look up for you if you are interested.

DNAroolez said:
fleetgoddess said:
Same exact situation here! I am going to Jefferson in a few weeks. I loved it there. I liked Penn too of course, the hospital is great and the curriculum is stellar.
Comparing the other three, I got into Drexel and Jeff, and I chose Jeff because it has the complete package: location is amazing, hospital has a good reputation, good affiliates, good curriculum (block system), great students and faculty. Drexel had a nice school, but having lived in this area my whole life, I know that Hanneman has a bad rep. I also interviewed and was waitlisted at Temple, and I would have chose that over Drexel (but not over Jeff!) because, regardless of the area, the hospital is very reputable. When my dad had a heart attack, they transfered him directly to Temple from South Jersey, if that makes a difference to anyone. (And he got great care and is in good shape now). If you want good experience in Emergency Med, Cardio, or Rads, Temple has a good facility. Drexel is good if you want to go into problem based learning.
Jeff has a good rep in orthopedics and a bunch of other things i could look up for you if you are interested.

i really want to do ortho. You chose Jefferson? I just withdrew from Jeff today

yeah, i heard good things about ortho at Jeff, but I am going into peds i think. (who knows, i have an open mind. :) ) fleetgoddess, where are you going instead?

DNAroolez said:
yeah, i heard good things about ortho at Jeff, but I am going into peds i think. (who knows, i have an open mind. :) ) fleetgoddess, where are you going instead?

Vanderbilt. I feel like i'll fit in better there. not really a big city girl.

I am not really sure where I am going in the Fall, but, I'd like to mention that Drexel is the best school for me in the Philly area. In the fall, Drexel opens its medical school extension facility that will provide a state of the art gym. The school offers a top notch curriculum (PIL), paves the way into the technological revolution in health care, and offers a dynamic social experience. Also, the reputation of Drexel is going to improve over the years. It is a complete university with a business, law, engineering, and medical school. The University is endowed well, and continues to offer student-centered educational opportunities! The grass grows greener each year! You are going to see the Admissions requirements creep up each year! Cheers,

PolarBear04

PolarBear04 said:
I am not really sure where I am going in the Fall, but, I'd like to mention that Drexel is the best school for me in the Philly area. In the fall, Drexel opens its medical school extension facility that will provide a state of the art gym. The school offers a top notch curriculum (PIL), paves the way into the technological revolution in health care, and offers a dynamic social experience. Also, the reputation of Drexel is going to improve over the years. It is a complete university with a business, law, engineering, and medical school. The University is endowed well, and continues to offer student-centered educational opportunities! The grass grows greener each year! You are going to see the Admissions requirements creep up each year! Cheers,

PolarBear04

My only gripe is that Drexel's affiliated hospital is away from the medical school campus. Not too far, but far enough that it makes it more of a challenge to interact, during your first 2 years, with docs. Its nice to be able to walk across the street to the hospital for shawdowing opportunities.

That was one of the main reasons that I ended up choosing Temple over Drexel. I also have made some contacts for future reasearch opp/ shawdowing at Shriners which is right next too and affiliated with Temple in some respects. So in the end Temple was the better fit for me.

But I agree, Drexel is getting better and they are putting a good effort into becoming a great institution.

FYI, Temple is building a brand new medical school building (11 floors i believe)and will be opening around 2010.

glad to hear good things about Jefferson... I applied there as my token east coast school.

as for the ghetto, I find it a lot more desireable when I shadow people in less than stellar neighborhood hospitals, you get a lot more interesting cases.

Justus07 said:

I would agree, I think temple does everything in its power to increase the number of applicants applying to that school. Temple is in one of the worst locations I have ever been in. :eek: