Drexel vs pcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kl0117

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some nice and civil debate between the two. Want opinion of people to help me decide. I like both programs and was recently accepted to both and need help deciding. I am comfortable with Pcom as I know a lot of people who went there but still worry about life after med school and matching. I like drexel and the curriculum. Location isn't an issue as its very close im a philly native. Please help

Members don't see this ad.

Close to 100% of the people on here are going to tell you to go to Drexel.

PCOM is not a bad option (I had an offer there) and you'll get a solid education. If you have everything lined up, you'll likely match your specialty of choice. With that said, everything will be easier coming from Drexel and you'll have doors open at programs that you would not have graduating from PCOM. There's really a very minimal debate because in reality, it comes down to differences in initials being more important than any other curricular or extracurricular factors.

Reactions: 2 users
take drexel and run with it. there's no debate. You dont want to close out the possibility of matching into plastics, derm, neurosurg, ophtho, etc now that the residencies will be merging.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you know with 100% conviction that you want to do primary care then go to the cheaper school. If you think there's a slight chance you may want to do something other than FM or unspecialized IM, peds, or OB, then go to Drexel.

Looking for some nice and civil debate between the two. Want opinion of people to help me decide. I like both programs and was recently accepted to both and need help deciding. I am comfortable with Pcom as I know a lot of people who went there but still worry about life after med school and matching. I like drexel and the curriculum. Location isn't an issue as its very close im a philly native. Please help

Then definitely Drexel. Honestly if you want to set yourself up to match well or with least amount of "hindrances", go to the best school possible or at least a US MD school.

Plus, you don't need to worry about OMM, COMLEX, or any DO biases that may still exist in ACGME residencies.

take drexel and run with it. there's no debate. You dont want to close out the possibility of matching into plastics, derm, neurosurg, ophtho, etc now that the residencies will be merging.
She/ he wouldn't be.

Reactions: 3 users
Yea maybe it's possible...but it's about a 100x harder as a DO vs an MD.
Who's disagreeing that it's harder?

Read your post again. The residencies merging won't close out crap.

Reactions: 1 users
It won't? The question remains if many of the DO residencies will meet the criteria for ACGME. If they don't, they close. The bias will remain with the other ACGME residencies, thus limiting the options available to DO students. I don't see how the merger could help the situation for DOs, I only see it possibly hurting...but I guess it depends on who you talk to.

It won't? The question remains if many of the DO residencies will meet the criteria for ACGME. If they don't, they close. The bias will remain with the other ACGME residencies, thus limiting the options available to DO students. I don't see how the merger could help the situation for DOs, I only see it possibly hurting...but I guess it depends on who you talk to.
Many (upon many) of AOA PD's for competitive residencies were barred from ACGME residencies based solely on the letters after their name. If you think they aren't going to return the favor then you are in for a rude awakening. The bias goes both ways, playa.

And, who is talking about DO residencies in general? We are talking specifically about the ones you mentioned (in totality, not them individually).

Last edited:

ACGME will have requirements governed by the newly appointed osteopathic ACGME committee. Thus, there will not be a mass shutdown of DO programs as requirements for newly merged AOA programs will be adjusted specifically for these programs in collaborations with ACGME.

Even if the merger doesn't matter, the top residencies in nearly every field are ACGME. You don't want to unnecessarily place yourself at a disadvantage to control where you match at the end of 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your responses!

I wonder if any what differences exist in curriculum if do schools have to learn OMM. Do md schools go more in depth with information because OMM takes a lot of time up in the schedule?

I wonder if any what differences exist in curriculum if do schools have to learn OMM. Do md schools go more in depth with information because OMM takes a lot of time up in the schedule?
OMM is the reason we're in school over a month longer than the typical MD school at my school. We learn the same stuff and with as much depth, but we have to devote extra time to fit in OMM.

Reactions: 1 users
OMM is the reason we're in school over a month longer than the typical MD school at my school. We learn the same stuff and with as much depth, but we have to devote extra time to fit in OMM.

You say we're so your in a do school but you voted drexel above? Just curious

Even if the merger doesn't matter, the top residencies in nearly every field are ACGME. You don't want to unnecessarily place yourself at a disadvantage to control where you match at the end of 4 years.

Completely agree with you. Not saying going DO will NOT make it more difficulty to match into top residencies.

If ones prerogative Is to enter a highly competitive with a potential for academic tracks then one should without a doubt go MD.

For some however, going that route is not of priority and therefore new factors set in.

Many (upon many) of AOA PD's for competitive residencies were barred from ACGME residencies based solely on the letters after their name. If you think they aren't going to return the favor then you are in for a rude awakening. The bias goes both ways, playa.

And, who is talking about DO residencies in general? We are talking specifically about the ones you mentioned (in totality, not them individually).

Genuine question since I'm confused regarding the outcome of the the merger. Currently, disregarding the competitive specialties but in general...DO students may match into ACGME as well as ~ 3000 AOA residencies, yet MD students may only match into ACGME residences, so in total DO students have ~3000 more residencies available in total correct? Now once the merger happens and both MD as well as DO students can match into any given program, would this not be an advantage for MD students, since they were previously 100% UNABLE to match into ANY AOA residency beforehand? Most people say that MD students match better and are doing so with ~3000 less residencies available to them than DO students, so now that the total number of residencies will be open and equal for both MD and DO...wouldn't that help MD students more? Seems like since the 3000 AOA residency positions exclusive to DO students will no longer be exclusive to them, how would it help DO students as well?

Genuine question since I'm confused regarding the outcome of the the merger. Currently, disregarding the competitive specialties but in general...DO students may match into ACGME as well as ~ 3000 AOA residencies, yet MD students may only match into ACGME residences, so in total DO students have ~3000 more residencies available in total correct? Now once the merger happens and both MD as well as DO students can match into any given program, would this not be an advantage for MD students, since they were previously 100% UNABLE to match into ANY AOA residency beforehand? Most people say that MD students match better and are doing so with ~3000 less residencies available to them than DO students, so now that the total number of residencies will be open and equal for both MD and DO...wouldn't that help MD students more? Seems like since the 3000 AOA residency positions exclusive to DO students will no longer be exclusive to them, how would it help DO students as well?

All AOA programs that merge will be considered ACGME with osteopathic focus. MD grads will need to complete osteopathic training before applying to these programs. Also, Program directors of these once AOA programs may still prioritize DO grads first for residency.

The answer to this question is way too intricate, speculative, and nuanced to really get at in a short post. There are threads on the Osteo forum discussing it in detail.

In summary, currently many top DO students apply AOA for competitive specialties (AOA match is 1st) and don't apply ACGME (or are removed from the ACGME match after placing AOA). This would allow them to apply to those programs as well theoretically open many new doors. The AOA programs that convert to ACGME will have an osteopathic focus and require MDs to gain OMM competency (details being worked out). The AOA programs are small, community hospitals that won't attract top-tier MDs either. DO PDs will still run these programs and likely won't shut DOs out or take MDs just because of their initials (which they themselves don't have/care about). Most importantly, DOs will be eligible for all fellowships which was the main point of the merger.

There are many viewpoints and gray areas but you're going to get worthless answers in pre-Allo. Let's keep the thread on track. It's continually discussed elsewhere.

Moving to PreAllo where this is more appropriate.
I wanted the opinion of people who are graduated not people who are premed can you please move this thread back to where I put it please I would appreciate it a lot

Pcom matched 2 neurosurg 2 optho and had a oto/facial plastic match. Its a possibility.
Yea maybe it's possible...but it's about a 100x harder as a DO vs an MD.

100? No. Do matches derm for example at .7 vs 1.7. Its not 100 its about 2.5 times less likely at one of the most competitive resendecies.

I wanted the opinion of people who are graduated not people who are premed can you please move this thread back to where I put it please I would appreciate it a lot

Just go to Drexel it doesnt take a genius to figure this out. And I think pcom is amazing BTW.

Reactions: 5 users
Pre-allo is the appropriate place for your thread. Allo is not about choosing medical schools, at all, ever.

I'd send my kids to either one.

To play devil's advocate

PCOM is one of the better DO schools in the country.
Drexel's main clinical site is owned by a for-profit group
Both schools share a lot of clinical sites anyway
I personally know an ophtho resident in Philly who graduated from PCOM... (anecdote = data of course)
Drexel/Hahnemann was used in the filming of "Do No Harm," possibly the worst medical drama ever created, that was cancelled by NBC after only two episodes.

/that said, go to Drexel.