Drexel vs. Temple????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perplexedpremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really liked both schools when I visited. but I'm having a hard time deciding which school I'd be better of at. I'm in state so my tuition would be marginally lower at temple, but I'm unsure where I'd get more aid. What I've heard from other students is Drexel is a very nurturing environment. As for Temple the clinical training is supposed to be excellent. If anyone has any opinions or helpful info that would be great...
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

why not arrange to revisit the schools to see how you feel about them now?

I too liked both schools. I really liked Temple though.

A lot of people are turned off by the Broad street environment, the stadium lighting but as you mentioned, they have second to none the best clinical training you'll ever will receive because of it. Their ER gets about 100 K + visits alone. The only larger trauma center would have to be Cook County. And I have asked students there what kind of exposure they get every day.They tell me at least a couple gun shot wounds a week, anything you name it.

I liked the Temple students who gave my tour too. They were laidback and mature. Really friendly too. Before my interview, I got lost looking for parking and ended up parking valet and in a rush, I left my campus map in my car. So I was frantically running around Broad Street. A couple of the Temple students actually led me from the hospital parking area to the admissions office.

At Drexel, my tour guides never showed up because they were in anatomy. So we had to have an admissions staff officer lead the tour. That kind of showed to me the difference in student bodies.

Temple's and Drexel's facilities are both comparable. Temple's building a new complex that won't be in time for your use for your class. Drexel's building was sorta tiny for its class size. Temple has a teaching hospital right next to its medical school. Drexel's main hospital (Hanenham) is across town and students rotate through numerous hospitals.

When looking at match list, I found Temple to be really strong in emergency medicine. Drexel was impressive in getting into competitive residencies like anesth. But I felt overall, people recognize the strength of Temple's clinical education.

You can try this thread. Other people had the same situation as you.

Also, there are a few things I can clear up about Drexel. This was the first year that Drexel had used students to give tours (with the exception of Saturday interviews in previous years), and it was very dependant on the time of year that your interview was. For example, in the beginning of the year, just about all tours were given by someone who works in the admissions office. Also, if it was close to exam time, students were probably more interested in studying than giving tours (this also could have affected the mood on campus as well as your student interviewer). Also, Drexel is set to break ground in the very near future (the sign says June 15th, but we all know how construction can go) on an addition to the Queen Lane building (which itself is about 10 years old). There will be a new auditorium that can fit everyone, for the few times each year when everyone is required, as well as addtional study spaces. There are going to be other changes in the layout on the campus, but it is slightly complicated to explain and you probably don't care either. (if you really want to know, you can pm me)

There is no doubt that Temple's clinical education is top notch. But, it really doesn't matter that the hospital is attached to the campus. You should also consider other variables when deciding, like where people study. I heard that many people don't study on Temple's campus, b/c they don't want to be there at night (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I can tell you that the Drexel administration truly does support their students, and I am very happy with the quality of education that I have received so far. Good luck deciding.