Drexel's PIL (PBL) program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisa13579

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give some info in response to a PM I got about Drexel's PIL program. I am a 1st year there and am incredibly happy with the program.

I actually started off in the IFM program for 3 days and was miserable. I felt isolated and bored sitting in lectures all day. I know that I wouldn't be as happy in med school if I hadn't switched to PIL. Our group of 45 MS1's is a wonderful community. We meet 3 times a week with our small groups (about 7 people per group) and go through a case that was designed very specifically to bring out the things we need to learn. We learn how to generate hypothesis (essentially differential diagnosis) from day one, learn drugs, social issues, lab values, etc. and everything is integrated into the case that we are working on for 1-2 days. We know exactly what to study because, for instance, if we are in our "anatomy block", we know that we have to learn the anatomy that was brought out in the case. Also, we have a facilitator with our group (a faculty member, either MD or PhD) who makes sure we are on track with our "learning issues", raises questions that we should be thinking about, and tests our understanding. Then we split up what we need to learn, and we go read about it in the suggested textbooks and go to a lecture on the material (we always have a lecture on everything). We then come back together with our group and discuss our learning issues, "teach" each other, do made up quizzes, games...basically however the group wants to go over the material. So not only do we have lectures on the material, but we have to take more ownership for our learning because we are part of a dynamic group that is going to talk about the stuff we are learning. It just reinforces the material that much more. Not to mention all the other stuff we are being exposed to from day one, like drugs, lab values, differentials, and learning to work with lots of different people (we switch groups/facilitators every 10 weeks).

I've been so incredibly happy with Drexel and the PIL program and love the interactive way that I am learning. I feel really lucky and I've honored both my blocks so far :D.

Just keep in mind that everyone learns differently and you have to figure out what aspects of med school will make you the happiest. Hope that helps and feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Lisa, thanks for the info. Is PIL entirely group based (i.e. no lecture)? Do you know if your program is similar to other schools that are purely PB(I)L?

Thanks for the information on the PIL program. I did not know if that was the right choice for based on board scores and performance in certain blocks. I will probable be attending Drexel if i don't hear other news and am looking forward to it. Do you have any idea what the board scores are like for the studens who have gone through the PIL program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Revolution: yes, we do have lots of lectures, everyday in fact. We probably don't get every single detail like you may get with more lecture hours, but I can guarantee I wouldn't remember those details in 2 years when it comes time for Step I anyway! :) I don't know really how it compares to other schools with PBL.

Just Applied: our board scores are the same as the IFM program and we do well (I don't remember the exact number, but it really comes down to you and how much you study). Personally, I think I will remember things better because I'm not just memorizing everything but trying to integrate it.

I don't know exactly what this says, but the mean for our last block (which included physiology and neurology) was a 90. I'd say that people are learning their stuff :thumbup:

Our tests include multiple choice AND lots of long and short answer essays, so you really have to know what you are talking about.

Another perspective...PIL tends to draw a lot of non-traditional students. There are definately some students just out of college, but the rest range anywhere from a year out of school to 15 years out of school. I really like the different perspectives and life experiences that brings to our discussions.

Hi!

I am also a student at Drexel and have gone through the PIL program. Like Lisa, I LOVED it - it really kept me focused and on top of my work - as a huge procrastinator, I know I wouldn't start doing any type of studying until 2 days before an exam, and you just can't do that if you have 6 other people counting on you. That being said, if you know you like to go to lecture and are always horribly annoyed when you have to work as a team, maybe a lecture based curriculum would be better for you.

So, we definitely had lots of lecture. Basically, there was at least one lecture for every major topic you were expected to know. Of course, lectures are optional (they are "resources" just like the textbook - you pick which one you like better).

Board scores have been similar over the past 5 years (last year the PIL class averaged a few points higher, but I'm not sure if it was statistically significant) and have done equally well in clinical years/matching.

Good luck with your decisions - either way Drexel is a great school and you will enjoy your time here!!

:)

ps -Lisa - I'm so glad you are happy with your decision and that it's worked out so well!!! (we told you so ;) )

I have a question for you Drexel people (doesn't really have anything to do with the PIL program). In reading through the interview feedbacks on SDN it seems as though a lot of the interviewees said that the school seemed "too good to be true". Any comments on that?

jvphd said:
I have a question for you Drexel people (doesn't really have anything to do with the PIL program). In reading through the interview feedbacks on SDN it seems as though a lot of the interviewees said that the school seemed "too good to be true". Any comments on that?

It really is :) Everyone truly is so nice, the administration is very supportive and really cares about their students. I could tell this from my first day at orientation. The professors love teaching, are approachable and will help you in any way they can. It really does seem that we draw down to earth, interesting, nice students at Drexel.

If you want to be happy in med school, Drexel is the place.

pwrpfgrl-are you one of two 2nd years I talked to the first week of school? :idea:
mmmm....do you live with one of my classmates??