Driving to med school & meeting with admissions amongst interviewees.Dress code?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HAART

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last week I emailed Medical School A asking if I could meet with someone in admissions to discuss my credentials, Medical School A's program, and my future application. Medical School A and I decided I would come to a campus tour Friday March 19th and meet with someone in admissions afterward briefly.

This is Med School A's MD interview day. Should I wear a suit and tie just because I'm in all likelihood going to be surrounded only by people in suits and ties (since everyone else will be interviewing)? I'd rather wear a nice shirt and khakis and leave it at that, if acceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

Wear straight business. Let them know that you mean business.

When in doubt, charcoal suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Better to be overdressed and looking dapper than under-dressed and looking a bit sloppy.

Suit!! :thumbup:

suited up, made a good impression. chalk up one more win for the student doctor network :cool:

Agree.

daddyshome.png

Disagree. Suit is overdressed for an informal admissions meeting. Go with a shirt and tie or a conservative sweater. Look sharp, but not formal.

Short sleeves with a tie is always money. As are white socks and no belt. Rock the middle school semi-formal look. :cool:

I did this on a non-interview day for an "informal discussion" with state school's adcom. member so I could ask some questions.

I walked in, essentially got (politely) grilled/formally interviewed, then got to ask my questions and have a less formal discussion. She took notes, like full legal pad page. I dressed up anticipating this might happen and was glad I did. It went very well for me, but I could see someone getting blindsided in that situation. You've only got one chance to make a first impression. Suit up, and show them you're serious, and be prepared for it to be more formal than you think. No matter how formal or informal, they will be evaluating you as a candidate even if you aren't yet.

Personally, I wouldn't wear a suit, but instead the next step down. No jacket, shirt with a tie or a blouse, depending on gender. You're not interviewing, and you honestly don't want to be mistaken as an interviewee all day.

What I think is interesting is that with only one exception so far, current medical students are recommending business casual and pre-meds are recommending a suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
All I'm saying is better safe than sorry. There's less harm in being overdressed than in being under-dressed.

don't wear a suit! don't look trashy either. business casual is fine!!! if a school judges you for wearing business casual for an informal meeting, I think the school should rethink its priorities. looking nice/professional is always good, but as long as you look neat and professional, it should not matter exactly what you're wearing

Huh I didn't know schools were still doing interviews. Is this a special program?

I didn't do a complete suit per say - I wore a jacket, khakis, and a tie. And glasses (intellectual FTW). I never otherwise wear my glasses. Anyway, I had asked to meet with the director of admissions at an MD school in the northeast to speak about applying in the future. I was well prepared with questions related to the school and notes regarding its mission statement. I made a great impression based mostly on that, and probably a bit because I acted professionally (dress being a part of that).

All I'm saying is better safe than sorry. There's less harm in being overdressed than in being under-dressed.

Not necessarily. If you show up for an informal meeting looking like it's an admissions interview, the administrator might be confused. You might come off as stiff or overeager. No one is going to be wondering why you didn't wear a suit. They might be wondering why you did. You dress appropriately for the situation. In this case it's business cas.

I didn't do a complete suit per say - I wore a jacket, khakis, and a tie. And glasses (intellectual FTW). I never otherwise wear my glasses. Anyway, I had asked to meet with the director of admissions at an MD school in the northeast to speak about applying in the future. I was well prepared with questions related to the school and notes regarding its mission statement. I made a great impression based mostly on that, and probably a bit because I acted professionally (dress being a part of that).

I was thinking about doing the same thing..are you applying this upcoming cycle?

actually by suit up I meant dress up, intending more business casual than whole nine yards suit and tie.... oops.

i wonder how this went anyway?

If it were me, I would definitely wear a sport coat with my best shirt under it. This with some slacks and loafers if you got them. I wouldnt wear a suit unless you are someone who can wear one like its their second skin:thumbup:

actually by suit up I meant dress up, intending more business casual than whole nine yards suit and tie.... oops.

i wonder how this went anyway?

I wrote the below post after having gone through with this situation once - I also did it a second time so I'll elaborate below quote.

I made a great impression at both schools. The second one, with which I met with the director of admissions, slew me (that's the past tense of slay apparently...) based on my terrible terrible undergrad GPA (she even mentioned checking out podiatry :scared: ), which I've begun the process of amending with a 3.9 in a post-bacc. I did otherwise make a good impression with her based on the rest of my portfolio, and I followed up with her illustrating my dedication and hope that after a second year of top grades she would be able to consider me academically able to handle the rigors of the medical curriculum despite a GPA that would leave me in the 10th percentile of accepted students.

And, again, both times I did jacket, tie, and glasses solely for the intellectual look.

Business casual. Long sleeved button up shirt and nice pair of slacks. No jacket or tie.

As everyone else says suit up! if you are actually planning maybe a two day visit, the second day being like a general tour or something bring something casual--decent fitting polo and khaki shorts never fails. Various medical students have told me the biggest thing is "don't create waves." Don't completely overdress to the point you stand out in an awkward way.